• Tweets

• good you are getting there. Lloyds/TSb...i certainly would not be risking possible off-setting going on if a choice were there, but in all honestly thats obv too late now..., however..you might not never be in that situation so dont worry too much. regardless to being defaulted or not, if any debt that is not paid/used in 6yrs it becomes statute barred. you need to understand a couple of things like 'default' and 'default notice' a default is simply a recorded D in the calendar section/history of a debt, it does not really mean anything. might slightly hit your rating. the important thing here is a default notice , these are issued by the original creditor (OC) under the consumer credit act, it gives you 14 days to settle whatever they are asking, if you don't then they have the option to register a defaulted date on your credit file. that can make getting other credit more difficult. and hits your rating. once that happens, not matter what you do after that, paying it or not or not paid off or not, the whole account vanishes from your credit file on the DN's 6th b'day. though that might not necessarily mean the debt is not still owed - thats down to the SB date above. an OC very rarely does court and only the OWNER of a debt can instigate any court action (Attempted a CCJ) DCA's debt collection agencies - DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS they have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's TYPE. an OC make pass a debt to a dca as their client to try and spoof people into paying through legal ignorance of the above statement. an OC may SELL on an old debt to a DCA/debt buyer (approx 10p=£1) and then claim their losses through tax write off and their business insurance, wiping their hands of the debt. the DCA then becomes the debt OWNER. since the late 70's dca's pull all kinds of 'stunts' through threat-o-grams to spoof a debtor into paying them the full value of the debt, when they bought if for a discounted sum (typically 10p=£1). you never pay a dca a penny! if read carefully, NONE of their letters nor those of any other 'trading names' they spoof themselves under making it seem it's going up some kind of legitimate legal 'chain' say WILL anything....just carefully worded letters with all kinds of threats of what could/might/poss happen with other such words as instruct forward pass... well my dog does not sit when instructed too...so... DCA's SOMETIMES will issue a court claim, but in all honesty its simply a speculative claim hoping mugs wet themselves and cough up...oh im going to court... BIG DEAL DCA - show me the enforceable paperwork signed by me...9/10 they dont have it and if your defence is conducted properly, most run away from you . however before they do all that they now have to send a letter of claim, cause the courts got fed up with them issuing +750'000PA speculative claims and jamming up the legal system. so bottom line is two conclusions.... if you cant pay a debt, get a DN issued ASAP (stop paying it!) make sure it gets registered on your file then it stops hurting your file/future credit in 6yrs regardless to what happens (bar of course a later DCA CCJ - fat chance mind!)  once you've a registered DN , then look into restarting payments if the debt is still owed by the OC, if SOLD to a DCA, don't pay - see if they issue a letter of claim (then comeback here!).        
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Robbers Way are back again

Shifter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

for the third time this year Robbers Way have generated a fictional debt in my hubby's name and are demanding over £4000. We have become quite practised at this, so the prove it letter is going in the post tomorrow.

My reason for posting is this: after three attempts by them to weasel money out of us for debts that we know nothing about, is there anything I can do to get rid of them for good?

I am sick and tired of fighting them every few months, especially as the debts they claim to be collecting are either made up or a case of mistaken identity. Would a complaint to the OFT be the right thing here? Any advice gratefully received.

TIA.

I would contact your local TS in the first instance - their TS know all about them, but will refer you to yours.

Secondly, I would invoke their complaints procedure. the person to contact is Hayley Felton.

Hope this helps.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I would contact your local TS in the first instance - their TS know all about them, but will refer you to yours.

Secondly, I would invoke their complaints procedure. the person to contact is Hayley Felton.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question about contacting trading standards: we recently relocated and we don't want DCAs to get our new address. Do I contact TS local to old address (where RW letters are still going, daily :rolleyes: ) or TS local to us now?

• 2 weeks later...

Another little victory against Robbers Way. Their response to the Prove It letter was, yet again, "Erm... crap... we're trying to get the agreement from the original lender... account on hold for now...."

We know they won't be able to get any such agreement as there is no debt!

They'll now probably leave it for a few months and then send "polite" letters again.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

They'll now probably leave it for a few months and then send "polite" letters again.

Yep. Seems that every few months they invent a new debt to try and weasel out of us! That's why I'm reporting them to TS!

• 1 month later...

Just had another letter from RW, there is no copy of the alleged credit agreement enclosed. The letter says:

"Further to your recent request for a copy statement/agreement for your account. We have contacted the original creditor ad they have advised that all relevant information has previously been sent to you, and that the balance outstanding as stated above is correct. [£4,295.37]

The account is now long overdue for payment and we look forward to receiving payment in full, or your payment proposals, by return."

LMAO! So what they are basically saying is "There is no credit agreement. We can't prove that the debt is genuine. Pay up."

All we have sent so far is the prove it letter. They have failed to provide proof that the debt exists. What's the next step for us?

TIA.

Report them to the OFT, Trading Standards and your local MP...if they have tried to chase this 3 times, then this is harrassment.....

Thanks. Do you have any advice for how to go about making these complaints?

We didn't keep the letters from previous attempts by RW to get money out of us for fictional debts. When they stopped chasing we shredded things - especially as we were moving and getting rid of old paperwork.

We have all their letters from this most recent account. Should we copy them and send them with the complaint letters as evidence? Or is it best to just write a simple letter to begin with and supply evidence when requested by TS and OFT?

How much detail should I include in the complaint letters?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to confirm, we sent them the "prove it" letter, they have failed to prove liability. We said that we were disputing the account with them and therefore they are unable to pursue payment etc. And we have made an official complaint to TS and had receipt acknowledged by TS though no news yet.

Just a bit upset about this latest letter really. I thought they would back down at being told we'd made a complaint but that's not the case and am now quite worried that this won't go away quietly.

Shifter - I will try and find the legal terms and everything but as far as I'm aware if they have bought the debt from Barclays then they are legally bound to produce 'proof' that you owe it namely the CCA - it is their job to get it from Barclays not yours.

I had a funny conversation with a DCA about a Barclays account that is now statute barred and he tried telling me it wasn't - when he figured out a knew a little bit about what I was talking about he told me 'ok well if it's not your legal obligation to pay it it is your moral obligation' - so I told him if my conscience ever wanted some moral guidance I would get it to ring him! - well lmao he told me not to be faceious and put the phone down on me!

Shifter - I will try and find the legal terms and everything but as far as I'm aware if they have bought the debt from Barclays then they are legally bound to produce 'proof' that you owe it namely the CCA - it is their job to get it from Barclays not yours.

That's my understanding too. Just not sure what, if anything to do next.

I had a funny conversation with a DCA about a Barclays account that is now statute barred and he tried telling me it wasn't - when he figured out a knew a little bit about what I was talking about he told me 'ok well if it's not your legal obligation to pay it it is your moral obligation' - so I told him if my conscience ever wanted some moral guidance I would get it to ring him! - well lmao he told me not to be faceious and put the phone down on me!

LOL!

still searching but this is one thing i found...

"Debt-recovery agencies are paid to pursue you. So if you genuinely don't owe the money, you've got to be very strong and forthright," says Alex MacDermott from Citizens Advice. But simply telling the agency you aren't the debtor may not be enough: "Say you've called or written to them in response to their letter. In that way, they have established contact, and they're unlikely to give up easily."

Instead, Mr MacDermott's advice is: "Always ask for proof that you owe the money. It's up to the person claiming the debt to show you owe it." The easiest way, he suggests, is to ask to see the signed credit agreement that went with the original loan or credit card application, to verify the signature is yours.

still searching but this is one thing i found...

"Debt-recovery agencies are paid to pursue you. So if you genuinely don't owe the money, you've got to be very strong and forthright," says Alex MacDermott from Citizens Advice. But simply telling the agency you aren't the debtor may not be enough: "Say you've called or written to them in response to their letter. In that way, they have established contact, and they're unlikely to give up easily."

Instead, Mr MacDermott's advice is: "Always ask for proof that you owe the money. It's up to the person claiming the debt to show you owe it." The easiest way, he suggests, is to ask to see the signed credit agreement that went with the original loan or credit card application, to verify the signature is yours.

Thanks for that. Trouble is we've already demanded that they produce the agreement and their response was initially "Barclays say you've got all the documentation", then this latest one "We don't have to send you any proof."

I know they are in the wrong I just don't know what to do next.

Should I just ignore them until we've spoken to Barclays and got confirmation from them that they know nothing about this alleged debt, as I'm pretty sure will be the case?

Also, should I send a copy of this latest letter to TS as a follow up to my complaint?

They are talking bowlarks - they are referring to the Law of Property Act 1925, which does not apply - the Consumer Credit Act 1974 does.

It is not up to you to remind them of the law - they should know it. I would get back in contact with TS and also write to them, invoking their complaints procedure.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I thought this would be easier than reposting the whole history.

I sent the info to TS and they replied saying they would tell Robbers Way to leave us alone. Good stuff. We have heard nothing since February.

Well, today I have received a letter from RW at our new address, which I was careful never to let fall into their hands. It lists our old address, but with the incorrect post code, and asks my husband to contact them if he is NOT the person who used to live there :confused:

Surely they should be asking him to contact them if is IS the person who used to live there? Otherwise they are just establishing communication with a new person.

Seeing as the post code is incorrect I can honestly reply that my husband has never lived at the above address, yes?! But I doubt that would get rid of them.

How do I shake them off, get our current address removed from their records and make sure they can never get this address again?!

Head the letter LETTER BEFORE ACTION, request they remove any adverse data they have placed on your credit files, ask them for an official apology, their complaints procedures and remind them of a recent court case Ferguson vs British Gas....(and send the new letter to the OFT).....

Won't this just confirm that they have tracked down the right person and cause more problems?

I mean, great if it works, but I don't want to have to go through all of this AGAIN. Letters, special delivery, stress. I have a 7 month old baby now and just don't have the time or energy to go through all of this again. Hubby doesn't have the time or inclination to deal with it, which is why I always have.

But I suppose, now that they have this address it won't stop all on its own. I just thought that if I told them they have the wrong person they might drop it... writing it down like that makes me realise what a silly idea that was lol!