• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Locked in car park

Patma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Patma

Just looking at that letter from LD. It states that Fred admitted to recieving a caution at the 1St of July hearing. There is no mention of that in your summary of what happened but unless my mind is going, I do recall somewhere along the line that it was mentioned by a LD representative that Fred didnt respond to. I know how meticulous you are at reporting the facts and this kind of stuck in my mind. What other dates has Fred had direct personal contact with LD.

Hi Royboy,Fred has never denied being cautioned, but he has always believed he was wrongly cautioned. At the outset if you remember he applied for a stay in proceedings in order to challenge the caution.

That application was never responded to by the Judge and he asked the Judge about the outcome of that application at the Directions Hearing.

LD's representative pretended to know nothing of this or of the caution and insisted she needed to know what Fred was referring to.(despite the fact that LD had known for some 7 months at that point that no evidence of any caution existed.)

She tried to twist things to get him to admit causing criminal damage and he was very clear in telling the court that he did not accept that he had caused damage. The Directions Hearing was the only time so far that Fred has had personal contact with anyone from Lyons Davidson.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt there some sort of abuse of process rule that would cover this?

They are demanding Fred PAY for them to prove THEIR case against him to the court. :confused:

Ok there's a mystery prize for the first person to find an abuse of process rule we can get them for on this:D:D

Blimey, been away all week and returned to a few developements!!!

Firstly I would write to LD and state that its upto them to provide evidence and you have no intention of contributing to their case fees!

Secondly, I would have thought tht even if Fred thought he had been given a caution,

1) he doesnt necessarily agree with it and can, as now, fight it in court. 2) without evidence that once was actually given then Fred is obviously mistaken :)

Yorky

Blimey, been away all week and returned to a few developements!!!

Firstly I would write to LD and state that its upto them to provide evidence and you have no intention of contributing to their case fees!

Secondly, I would have thought tht even if Fred thought he had been given a caution,

1) he doesnt necessarily agree with it and can, as now, fight it in court. 2) without evidence that once was actually given then Fred is obviously mistaken :)

Yorky

HI Yorky, glad to see you back.

I agree you're absolutely right. We didn't ask them to contribute to the cost of our transcript. They can just fork out for it when they lose the case:p

Your second point expresses the situation in a nutshell.:D

Also, does the fact that they are suddenly demanding Fred contribute to their evidence costs suggest that someone at the college has had a look at LD's bill :eek:

Now that's a very good point caledfwlch. I hadn't thought of that as a possibility, but by sheer coincidence our letter to the Principal was delivered on Wednesday 14th October, maybe she took exception to a bill of £10,500 and rising.:eek::eek:

Now that's a very good point caledfwlch. I hadn't thought of that as a possibility, but by sheer coincidence our letter to the Principal was delivered on Wednesday 14th October, maybe she took exception to a bill of £10,500 and rising.:eek::eek:

Did you make her aware that even if her college WINS they will be massively out of pocket, since most of that would be unclaimable against Fred.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This therefore means that they either received their copy of the order before Fred did or they already knew about it some other way.

This is highly irregular and I would be tempted to write to the court manager and ask him/her how the situation arose.

It could happen if LD received the Court's order via DX and were on the ball with their reply, also served via DX.

I'd want to know if I were Fred.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what the gem of a letter from Lyons Davidson says :rolleyes::rolleyes:.......

"We refer to the Court order dated 15th October . We are prepared to request a transcript of the Directions Hearing in which you admit you received a caution for causing criminal damage to the claimant's barrier, on the basis that you are prepared to incur half the cost of that document.

Please confirm that you are prepared to pay your contribution towards the cost of the transcript and we will contact the court in order to obtain it."

It is signed by undecipherable squiggle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Unfortunately

Dear LD,

Thank you for your letter dated XXXX, the content of which is noted.

In an attempt to help you avoid further unnecessary costs, I suggest you contact Devon and Cornwall Police as they may supply the evidence you seek free of charge.

Yours sincerely,

Fred.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

This is highly irregular and I would be tempted to write to the court manager and ask him/her how the situation arose.

It could happen if LD received the Court's order via DX and were on the ball with their reply, also served via DX.

I'd want to know if I were Fred.

Thanks for mentioning that Alphageek. We've been concerned about that and also about the length of time it typically takes for Fred's applications to get a response as opposed to LD's. These last two for instance were handed in to the court on 1st October and the response arrived on 17th. We still don't have an answer though because the claimants have till 2nd November to make representations. Presumably shortly after that the judge will make a decision, but by then the bundle for the final hearing will have had to have been sent in. :eek:

LD's letter to Fred which arrived at the same time as the court order came by normal first class post. Is DX a sort of private courier service?

they do use very fast courier service between various solicitors and court in city centres.

In this case Lyons Davidson's office dealing with the case is in Bristol and the court is in Plymouth.

I'm not totally au fait with police terminology, but surely there is a huge difference between "being cautioned" as in "you have the right to remain silent, etc..." and "receiving a caution" as in "you've been a bad boy, next time it won't go so smoothly and this goes on your record, we're just not going to prosecute"???

In no 1, it is your legal right and protection, in the other it is the lower rung of punishment.

Discuss and demolish as you want. :-)

Edit: sorry, I wasn't just being random, I meant that maybe Fred confused the 2. When interviewed, he would have been interviewed under caution, but it doesn't mean he would have received a caution. If that makes sense. ;-)

Edited by Bookworm

I thought that cautions were delivered formally by a relatively high ranking police officer, they would be presented with the details & would then would go & formally caution

So even if you agree to be cautioned, that might get turned down a short time later & it gets referred to the CPS, or the caution is delivered, or the senior guy realises that its a load of rubbish & the person is let out without realising that everything was dropped and the caution never given

Bookworm and 2Grumpy, you both make very good points.

In Fred's case he believes he received a caution. The Duty solicitor present with him believes Fred received a caution and the Police must have believed they'd cautioned Fred because they informed Plymouth College of Art that Fred had been cautioned and they then wrote to Fred demanding he pay them the money in view of the fact that he'd received a police caution.

In January 2008 Lyons Davidson wrote to the police asking for documentation for the caution so they could use it against Fred in their planned court claim, but it didn't work out because the police wrote back unable to find it.

Correspondence ensued through 2008 culminating in a final definitive letter from the police stating there was no record of any caution on paper, or on computer and they can still find no record of it or any evidence.

Interesting from that link, that you can only receive a caution if you admit the offence....

Did Fred ever admit to the offence of criminal damage?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

From the link that middenmess posted, there are 4 things that need to happen before a simple caution can be given.

there's evidence an offender is guilty

the offender is 18 years of age or over

the offender admits they committed the crime

the offender agrees to be given a caution – if the offender does not agree to receive a caution then they may be charged instead

The evidence was not conclusive

Fred did not admit the offence

Fred did not agree to a caution

The only thing they have going for them is hes over 18

Have a read of this from the Home Office--all you need to know about cautions,

Cautions, penalty notices and other alternatives | Home Office

That's an interesting read middenmess. Fred allegedly received a Simple Caution, but the conditions were certainly not complied with by the police.

there's evidence an offender is guilty There was no evidence of guilt, all physical evidence of the damaged barrier had already been removed by the time the police were involved and the new barrier had already been installed. Fred was shown only edited cctv footage of him raising the barrier.The police did not visit the scene.

the offender is 18 years of age or over

the offender admits they committed the crime Fred insisted he had not damaged the barrier only lifted it to exit the car park. He also pointed out that the video was edited.

the offender agrees to be given a caution – if the offender does not agree to receive a caution then they may be charged instead if the conditions listed weren't complied with.Fred only reluctantly agreed as he was given to understand at the time that strong evidence of damage had been presented to the police. He was worried and thought they would keep him locked up if he didn't agree. The solicitor encouraged him to accept a caution and get it over with.

Interesting from that link, that you can only receive a caution if you admit the offence....

Did Fred ever admit to the offence of criminal damage?

No he never admitted causing criminal damage. He always insisted he only carefully raised the barrier. Anyone who has seen the unedited cctv footage can see the truth of that.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks