• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Locked in car park

Patma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I agree, Yorky, however we have to remember that solicitors do rather stick together and watch one another's backs. We'll soon see how this goes hopefully though. :wink:

that does seem to be the case, if the SRA give you the brush off is there a further body/course of action to take?

After all if the 'police are policing the police' and covering up then there should be a fully independant course of action.

Yorky

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine the problems it might cause Plymouth College of Art if the person before Fred also had to lift up the broken barrier manually?

Or worse/better that the footage shows that the barrier had reset itself after Fred raised it and was then working normally and not in fact broken at all

hows the passing to the student rag going btw?

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Our sources intimate that Lyons Davidson might be desperately racking up rather a large amount in further costs for Plymouth College of Art attempting to convince Devon and Cornwall Constabulary that they 'might have got it wrong'.:eek:

What are those people thinking? Perhaps I can engage with my bank and try to convince them that they've left some zeros off the end of my balance.

For you news -hungry caggers, I have a little update.:)

A court order arrived yesterday which reads as follows....

"Upon reading the defendant's attached application dated 4th September, it is ordered that the said application be dealt with in writing, the claimant to respond to the said application on or before 21st September."

The application it refers to is one Fred put in because his amended counterclaim was being ignored. He submitted an application to amend his counter, as he had been told it was not particularised enough by the judge. A total of 4 applications were submitted which the judge orered the claimant to respond to. They sent in a wingefest in response and pointedly ignored the counterclaim. The judge is set to rule on the 4 apps at the application hearing which directly precedes the full hearing on 17th November, but Fred was concerned his counterclaim was being swept under the carpet yet again, so he applied for the judge to order the claimant to respond, either by filing a defence or admitting the counterclaim within 14 days or judgment by default be entered against them.

TLD if you're around, you need to spring clean again;)

Okay Patma I've cleared some room. I'll be home sometime later today to catch up properly, and have some thoughts on the email you sent a few days back.;)

You have the right to food money.

If you don't mind a little investigation, humiliation, and if you cross your fingers rehabilitation..............

The application it refers to is one Fred put in because his amended counterclaim was being ignored. He submitted an application to amend his counter, as he had been told it was not particularised enough by the judge. A total of 4 applications were submitted which the judge orered the claimant to respond to. They sent in a wingefest in response and pointedly ignored the counterclaim.

What is the likelihood that

1] LD will continue to ignore the counterclaim

and

2] That this strategy will work in their favour

?

Are you opening a book on this AT - think you could be paying out quite a bit on the bets :D

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Don't know about AT opening a book on the outcome but after reading for two and a half hours I think someone out there will be preparing to write a book on the whole episode.

Well done to all the contributors for turning one mans nightmare into a full blown epic.

Just can't wait to see the flags of victory flying.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I sent an FOI request to Mr George Dexter of Plymouth College of Art on 24th August, which he has chosen to ignore. All I asked for was the Procurement and Disposal Policy of the college as referred to in the FOI section of their website as being freely available upon request.

I even sent him a reminder about 12 days and cc'd it to another senior member of Plymouth College of Art. This did elicit a one line response from the busy Mr Dexter telling me my request would be complied with, but time is up and he didn't respond.

Seems I'll just have to go around him or over his head. ;)

This is the second time I've had to resort to the "very helpful gentleman" because a FOI has gone unanswered. The first one being my request to Mr Bryan Turner for barrier details.

It's a good thing someone at Plymouth College of Art is on the ball and happy to comply with the law.:)

My FOI request has been answered today and is pretty long.

Now it needs digesting to see if there's anything helpful to be found in it.

Here goes......:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Financial Regulations

19.3 Procurement

The College requires all budget holders, irrespective of the source of

funds, to obtain supplies, equipment and services at the lowest possible

cost consistent with quality, delivery requirements and sustainability,

and in accordance with sound business practice. Factors to be

considered in determining lowest cost are noted in the financial

procedures.

The director of finance is responsible for:

● developing appropriate standing supply arrangements on behalf of

the College to assist budget holders in meeting their value for money

obligations and ensuring that those arrangements are complied with

● ensuring that the College’s purchasing policy is known and

observed by all involved in purchasing for the college

● advising on matters of institution purchasing policy and practice

● advising and assisting departments where required on specific

departmental purchases

● the director of finance will support the drafting and negotiation

of contracts where appropriate. The director of finance will review all

contracts entered into by the College and recommend their approval by

the principal.

● ensuring that the College complies with EU regulations on public

purchasing policy.

Financial Procedures

3.1 PROCUREMENT PROCEDURE

A. PURPOSE

The procurement procedure ensures that the College purchases goods and

services which:

· Are appropriate for the purpose;

· Provide value for money; and

· Comply with the Financial Regulations and Procedures.

B. SCOPE

The policy covers the procurement of goods and services from suppliers

from the approved standing supply arrangements. All suppliers on the

Southern Universities Purchasing Consortium (SUPC) and the Crescent

Purchasing Consortium (CPC) registers are considered to be approved

suppliers.

C. PRINCIPLE

The Director of Finance is responsible for developing appropriate

standing supply arrangements on behalf of the College to assist Budget

Holders in meeting their value for money obligations and ensuring that

those arrangements are complied with. Heads of Departments and

delegated Budget Holders should use appropriate standing supply

arrangements approved or developed on behalf of the College by the

Director of Finance. When these arrangements are used the Heads of

Department and delegated Budget Holders need not seek alternative

quotations or tenders.

D. PROCEDURE

1. ENSURING VALUE FOR MONEY

a) Standing Supply Arrangements

Where standing supply arrangements exist the Budget Holder should use

SUPC or CPC websites to determine the most appropriate supplier. The

method is set out in Appendix 1

b) Non Standing Supply Arrangements

Where the SUPC or CPC do not contain suppliers who provide the goods or

services being sought, or it is felt that better value for money could

be obtained from a non SUPC or CPC supplier the Budget Holder may seek

additional tenders or quotations from non consortium suppliers. The

supplier that gives best value for money must be used

Where approved standing supply arrangements are not in place for

specific goods or services to be purchased, Heads of Departments and

delegated Budget Holders must comply with the College’s tendering

procedures contained in the College’s code of tendering practise, which

are applicable as follows:

· Under £1,000 – the Budget Holder shall have the

discretion to decide whether or not to obtain quotations, but value for

money must

always be obtained.

· From £1,000 to £10,000 – the Budget Holder shall be

required to obtain at least three quotations or competitive tenders.

· All Capital items must be supported by at least three

quotations or three competitive tenders.

The Director of Finance will carry out a review of these arrangements

on a cyclical basis to ensure that the value for money is being

maintained.

2. SUPPLIERS OF SERVICES NOT WITHIN THE SCOPE OF THE CONSORTIUM

Standing supply arrangements are established through a competitive

tendering process every three years. The administrative arrangement is

notified to the Finance Department so that purchase orders so not need

quotes attached but just state the tender agreement number.

3. CONSULTANTS AND ADVISORS

A consultant or advisor is an individual or firm which provides

consultancy services. A consultant or advisor may not be retained

unless:

a) The terms of reference for the consultancy have been agreed by

the Principal

b) At least three quotations have been obtained for the provision of

services, except when a waiver has been obtained from the Principal

c) The selection process shall be transparent and the selection made

against the criteria set out in the terms of reference

d) The consultancy shall be clearly limited either in time or by

output

A register of consultants shall be maintained and a record made of

their performance. This register will be used in the consultant

selection process.

4 ORDERING PROCEDURES

Goods and services will be ordered and paid for in accordance with the

section 3.4 of the Financial Procedures relating to:

a) Standard supply arrangements.

b) Obtaining competitive quotations from the list of actual or

potential suppliers if not using a standard supply arrangement.

c) Authorisation of orders

d) Receipt of goods

e) Payment of invoices

5 ORDERING AUTHORITY

The Director of Finance will establish and maintain systems and

procedures and allocate resources to:

a) Obtain quotations for all services and suppliers with a projected

annual value of greater than £10,000 if not using a standard supply

arrangement supplier

b) Provide advice and support as required for non finance staff in

purchasing goods and services over £1,000 if not using a standard supply

arrangement supplier

c) Review the approved supplier lists on a cyclical basis to ensure

that the supplier continues to be the best value source if not using a

standard supply arrangement supplier

Financial Regulations

21.7 Asset disposal

Disposal of equipment and furniture must be in accordance with

procedures agreed by the finance and general purpose committee and

contained in the College’s detailed financial procedures.

Disposal of land and buildings must only take place with the

authorisation of the Corporation. Funding body consent may also be

required if exchequer funds were involved in the acquisition of the

asset.

Financial Procedures

Section 2.2

viii) Annual Review of Economic Life

Financial Reporting Standards require that the economic lives of all

assets are reviewed each year. This is carried out as follows:

a) A systematic review of high valued items is carried out each year by

the Financial Controller.

b) The relevant managers in IT, Curriculum and Estates should inform

the Financial Controller if they become aware of a significant change of

useful economic life of any asset e.g. obsolescence or damage.

c) Each year a full audit of assets is carried out using Asset FM

handheld sets. This confirms the physical existence of assets on the

College premises. A reconciliation process is then undertaken to bring

Asset FM in line with the physical check.

d) When an asset falls out of use e.g. loss, damage of obsolescence,

the relevant managers in IT, Curriculum or Estates completes a Capital

Disposal form and passes this t

o the Finance Department. If the item is

disposed of then only the relevant people as laid out in the delegated

authorities may authorise the deposal. The Finance Department then

updates Asset FM to record the effects of the disposal.

Douglas Langford

Financial Controller

Plymouth College of Art

The person listed on Plymouth College of Art 's website as responsible for providing this information was most reluctant to comply, so it may be worth analysing to find out why. Let's see what we can come up with.;)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks