Defence required by the 15th Cabot over a Citi card

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So really I need to find enough ammo to ensure that their claim is properly scuppered first time round, so that I dont just delay things and end up with a second claim...........now to find something else, like the illegible agreement and t's and c's

• 7 months later...

Section 196(4) prescribes the requirements for giving sufficient notice by post:-

196. Regulations respecting notices.

4) Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall also be sufficiently served, if it is sent by post in a registered letter addressed to the lessee, lessor, mortgagee, mortgagor, or other person to be served, by name, at the aforesaid place of abode or business, office, or counting-house, and if that letter is not returned [by the postal operator (within the meaning of the Postal Services Act 2000) concerned] undelivered; and that service shall be deemed to be made at the time at which the registered letter would in the ordinary course be delivered.

Interesting - but I note that section 196(3) says it may be "left at the last known place of abode..."

Here:

(3)Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall be sufficiently served if it is left at the last-known place of abode or business in the United Kingdom of the lessee, lessor, mortgagee, mortgagor, or other person to be served, or, in case of a notice required or authorised to be served on a lessee or mortgagor, is affixed or left for him on the land or any house or building comprised in the lease or mortgage, or, in case of a mining lease, is left for the lessee at the office or counting-house of the mine.

So - does anyone know - can they argue that it was "left" if it was sent by first class post?

Is there any case law that anyone knows about on this section?