Just out of warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help

My wifes car ( Nissan Micra) purchased from a main dealer second hand with over a years manufacturers warranty left developed an oxygen sensor fault after 5 months which was rectified under warranty. A year and a month on and one month after the expiry of the warranty (less than 3000 miles) the same fault has occured. The bill will be £475(repair) + £49(diagnosis). Nissan uk have agreed to cover half of the £475 but this still leaves me with a bill for nearly £300.

One concern is that this may be a recurring problem. Do I have any claim on the dealer? The car is still very low mileage.

Any advice will be appreciated

Tricky one as its a second hand car, how old? how many miles?how long have you had it? ( 18 months from what you say ? )

also not a major fault but apprears a recurring one?

Now if its the same part thats failed again after such a short time I would expect the dealer to replace free of charge under its own part warranty!

Also if Nissan are paying half under there expired warranty I would ask the dealer to pay the other half ( SOGA on the replaced fitted part; faulty ).

Worth a try, speak to them, you never know your luck

Hi Thanks for your reply (s)

The car is a 55 reg ( 26 Sept 2005) purchased by7 us in Feb 07 witn a milage of 14,300. The garage gave it a service at this time and milage.

The oxygen sensors were replaced under warranty in sept 07.

They next failed at the end of October 2008 ( just over a year after being fitted), one month outside the warranty with only 3000 + miles added.

Cost for the sensors from a local parts supplier is £118.

Car was purchased using a credit card. Would this be worth following up?

I have to wonder if the sensor has actually failed, or whether it is just completely coked up on such a low mileage - presumably all short journeys.

I have to wonder even more at the dealer's charges; £49 to plug in a computer and read the error codes?

I too could not believe the charge, when questioned it was said to be their standard charge. The diagnosis on the sensor was that it had suffered "internal failure". My first attempt at getting the garage to pay for the other half of the costs was met with outright refusal "not our responsibility"

Does any one know if the sale of goods act applies to parts fitted under warranty?

Hi

If anyone is following this thread you may be interested to hear that Consumer Direct ( the government org.) think my best route is to use the Sale of Goods Act re the original purchase as it is unreasonable for a car to need oxygen sensors replaced twice in a period of 13 months. There was some doubt if sale of goods could be applied to items fitted under warranty as they had not been sold.

I would still be intersetd to hear from anyone having O2 sensor trouble with a Micra.

Thanks for your earlier coments.

Hi there

Parts fitted under a warranty are only usually covered for the unexpired part of said warranty.

Payments outside of this would be considered "Goodwill".

As always, exceptions apply to this rule.

Hammy

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Check Micra users Forums for any other similar problems!

the checking of the source of problems these days is down to the black box diagnostics and you have to pay for that, this should save replacing bits by trial and error. so should save you money when you know the bit to replace. Now nissan paarts and service is not cheap, so usually best to use good local garage that does have the test equipment and would be happy to use generic parts.