Nationwide - no CCA - issued Default Notice - help...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for reading this. I've formally requested a CCA from NWide enclosing £1.00, by recorded delivery etc. They have failed to respond. I wrote to the address on their website Nationwide Personal Loans Legal Information (s11). My original letter in June didn't include £1.00, but my subsequent letter in Septemeber did. Still no response.

Meanwhile letters chasing the alleged debt have been arriving from their collections Dept in Northampton, and now a Default Notice has been issued and received, AND they've sent round their own debt collector (not from a DCA).

I'm challenging the basis of the alleged debt due to their non-compliance with my request. I plan to quote part of another letter that I've seen on this site, but need to be sure of my ground:

In these circumstances I'd like to state thatwhilst the account is in dispute:

1. they cannot demand payment
  2. they cannot add further interest
  3. they cannoit pass the account to a third party
  4. may not register any information with CredRefAgencies
  5. may not issue a default

Am I safe to state this? And if so, can someone point me to the relevant statute or regulation that embodies these assertions?

Thank you so much....

Hello there. How are you? Welcome to our forums.

I think that is very to the point. You may wish to add that under s2.8k of the OFT Debt Collection Guidance that it is regarded as an unfair practice if they do not halt collections activity whilst your dispute is looked in to.

You could also ask them why they feel that they have a right under s87 of The Consumer Credit Act to serve you with a default notice when they have not been able to prove that there is a CCA regulated agreement in place in the first instance.

Ask for a copy of their complaints procedure pointing out that if you cannot resolve this with them you will go to The Financial Ombudsman Service.

info:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Financial Ombudsman Service

H

Without wishing to appear pedantic, are the 5 bullet points I mention enshrined in statute or just this OFT Collection Guidance?

Well all of those terms would have been part of the CCA regulated agreement and its various terms & conditions.

You could argue that without an agreement there can be no terms and conditions.