Building works and Electrical woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5025 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i wonder if anyone could offer some advice.

We've been renting a property for 18 months now initially on a 12 month contract and now i'm assuming month by month. The landlord has just started building a new property on the land, although we knew about the building works approx 3 months ago and were shown where the building would be etc unfortunately it hasn't gone to plan. We have basically lost the entire use of our garden (were told we would lose just under half) and to add insult to injury the small peice of front garden we had remaining now has a porter loo on it (even more unfortunate that our front room windows are rather large bay ones and as such we have a panoramic view of the comings and goings) I have two small children and this is causing great concern now.

To add to the problems we've had electrical faults in the house since we moved in particuraly with the lighting mains. None of the upstairs lights have worked for approx 6 months and previous to that we had no bathroom main light since we moved in, i had spoke with the landlord about this on many occasions and suddenly he has blamed it on me saying i've changed the lights fittings and put wrong ones in which has blown the lighting mains, this is not the case i have not touched any lights at all other than changing the odd bulb. He has a handyman backing him up on this saying we have changed the lights.

There are a host of other problems with the house which i have been waiting to be fixed for well over 6 months and now i'm at my wits end. What i would like to do is say stuff it and move out, the only problem with this being notice period leaving us only days before Christmas to move into a new place and if the deposit is not returned very swiftly we really would be stuffed.

Is there anything anyone can recommend? I really would like to move out asap but if we really have to stick to the one month notice or risk losing deposit then i can't do it.

As we are still paying the same rent and have no gardens now can we rightfully ask for a redunction in rent until we can find another place?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

You will have to give 1 month's notice at risk of losing your deposit.

Unless there is something in the contract or you've (proveably) agreed to it, it should still be *your* garden and you could play havoc.

Demand that they move the loo off *your* garden for starters.

Also warn the landlord you will pay for electric repairs yourself and withhold it from your rent.

Until the building is complete you also have a strong renegotiating position as the landlord may have trouble reletting. But be prepared to move if necessary (and probably to fight for return of your deposit). If you paid your deposit after 1st April 2007 it should be protected in a scheme.

Hi Steve thanks for the quick reply.

We moved in literally just after that date so hopefully the deposit will be protected although i've never actually asked the question.

I thought that may be the case with the notice period and as such (with it being so close to Christmas) we would be unable to move anywhere quickly.

I have checked the contract and there is nothing in there remotely related to the building works and other than a telephone call between myself and the landlord nothing to say building works would be taking place.

The inventory on move in lists the two apple trees and plum tree that once formally stood in the garden, these have been taken out to make way for the house this will in no way reflect on us?

Best Regards

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, deposit was paid on the day of moving in which i've discovered was mid may 2007 so that should be covered.

We are thinking that there will be no choice but to stay until at least mid Jan moving over the holidays really won't be an option unfortunately.

I have demanded they move the loo off the garden and was informed they couldn't move it to the fenced off area as diggers etc needed access, the chap then went onto say that a lock up would be placed in front of the loo so that will hide it, they must think i was born yesterday as not only will there be a loo there will now be 'lock up' blocking the windows, the landlord has gone very quiet and is not answering my calls.

As predicted no word on the lights accept the previous you've changed thats the problem i'll get someone out soon. Terrific.

Best Regards

Tristesse, my advice would be either to decide and live with it till you've gone and stop thinking about it, or to commit to kicking up a bit of a stink with your landlord and the builder eg. by stopping access to your garden (ie. the building site and/or the loo), warning your landlord you'll pay the electric repairs out of your rent. Definitely you need to check your deposit is protected.