Currys Fives.

Renzokuken
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Peeps - if you work at these stores, I am pretty sure the OFT would love some insider info on the store practices. It's a case of everyone knowing what happens, but no proof.

I'm sure if this is reported to consumer direct or trading standards, and they receive similar info from different people, then it may be a case that these sellers will be put on an undertaking NOT to engage in such practices. That in turn hopefully would lead to the improved conditions.

At least that's the theory. But worth a shot methinks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why you seem to have such resentment for the new way of doing things, its far better then the old ways. The training is far better, and staff are being treated far better so I would say thats progress. Fives isn't just about getting sales out of customers, its also about making sure the customer leaves the store happy with their purchase, after all they will be spending a lot of money on a product that they will be using on an almost day-today basis.

If you've ever read a book by Barry Schwartz, the paradox of choice you would understand that many customers feel anxious about making even simple decisions on products because of the sheer choice. The five steps help to ensure the customer feels happy about the purchase and ensures they get the maximum out of it too. A HD TV needs the proper attachments so the customer gets the most out of their product.

The priority fives also ensure the store is running at its best, and (where possible) all items are properly stocked.

I'm not asking you to love fives but I would urge you to be more open minded to the advantages to both the consumer and the staff that work there. And after all I'm sure every customer knows that DSGi is a company that has shares and needs to make profit. At the end of the day the customers arn't stupid, if they don't want something they will tell you.

Spoken like a true manager. Anyway, as I've said on the previous page. Forcing your sales coleagues to use methods of mental suggestion, and manipulation isn't giving the customer an informed choice. Just check the post above yours. We get questioned by management and frowned upon when we don't sell every attachment on a product. There is no such thing as what the customer wants. Only what the management wants, all fives is, is a fancy way of suggesting them to a customer in an open conversation to get maximum attachment rates.

Caring about the customer.. All they care about is that the customer comes back to the shop again. They couldn't care less that the customer was dumped with a substandard anti-virus product, or overpriced "premium" cables. I mean seriously, if they cared so much about the customer, how about not charging £40 for a hdmi lead, I can get off amazon for £15?

Doesnt sound that much different to when I was training as a sales supervisor for Currys. I had a pretty damn good team. I left after a year because I didnt like trying to talk people into buying extended warranties - back then that was the thing we were told to do.

So if you dont like the job - dont stay.

Easy for you to say, you left a supervisory role. We're basic sales staff, there's no way if I left now and got another job I could guarantee I would still at that job outside of a month.

It's a big risk giving up a job where they can't sack you for no reason, for one where they can because you've been there less than a year. Especialy during a recession, I mean my father has been laid off 2 times in 3 months.

Peeps - if you work at these stores, I am pretty sure the OFT would love some insider info on the store practices. It's a case of everyone knowing what happens, but no proof.

I'm sure if this is reported to consumer direct or trading standards, and they receive similar info from different people, then it may be a case that these sellers will be put on an undertaking NOT to engage in such practices. That in turn hopefully would lead to the improved conditions.

At least that's the theory. But worth a shot methinks.

Believe me I've contemplated reporting them so many times. But the problem is, they've broken no laws. The rules in their employee handbook state good working practices, yet the way they structure our targets implys (almost necessitates) we do otherwise.

Edited by Renzokuken

Fives isn't just about getting sales out of customers, its also about making sure the customer leaves the store happy with their purchase, after all they will be spending a lot of money on a product that they will be using on an almost day-today basis.

Very true. So taking that into consideration, lets think of this example. Say a customer comes in wanting a replacement laptop just to go on facebook etc on. Now through fives I can ask what they will be using the laptop for, if they have considered Mobile Broadband, and told them they will need security. They are happy with AVG and so dont want Norton, but decide they will take the Broadband offer. Can you therefore explain why I should then be quizzed and made to feel like crap by the management because I have not got Office, techguys or a bag on the sale? After all the customer has came in, bought the product and service they desire, and left "happy". I have done everything neccessary to make the customer aware of our services, and ultimately they have bought from us, rather than Comet, and I have generated margin through broadband. I am asked on each point how i tried to overcome the objection using 100E of value - telling the manager that the customer simply did not want them does not seem to be an acceptable answer.

Secondly, can you honestly say that no matter what the customer is saying they want the product for, the main thoughts in your head arent "Norton. Office. WEH. TechGuys"? Thats the only thing the CPR encourages you to care about - it doesnt matter whether the customer has left happy as long as those items were attached.

The priority fives also ensure the store is running at its best, and (where possible) all items are properly stocked.

Yes this is true, however, can you see how the current bonus scheme goes completely against Priority 2 - Talent And Deployment?

At the end of the day the customers arn't stupid, if they don't want something they will tell you

Indeed - so why have management invented a system that penalises staff for not selling certain products the customer may not want and encourages a culture of essentially harrassing customers into buying these, or lying to them about items being out of stock?

Edited by MacDude

.Easy for you to say, you left a supervisory role. We're basic sales staff, there's no way if I left now and got another job I could guarantee I would still at that job outside of a month.

It's a big risk giving up a job where they can't sack you for no reason, for one where they can because you've been there less than a year. Especialy during a recession, I mean my father has been laid off 2 times in 3 months.

Well you dont leave before you get another job silly!

I was trained as a supervisor after working as a basic sales assistant for over a year - so Im not blind to your position.

Have you considered that you have many, many transferable skills that you can easily apply to other types of work?

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum

The great thing is to know when to speak and when to keep quiet.

(Seneca the Younger (attributed), Proverbs, 74)

Speech is given to many; intelligence to few - but if its well said, I said it!

:p

Well you dont leave before you get another job silly!

I was trained as a supervisor after working as a basic sales assistant for over a year - so Im not blind to your position.

Have you considered that you have many, many transferable skills that you can easily apply to other types of work?

My point was that leaving a secure job for an unsecure one during this financial crisis is a very very bad idea.

If you've worked for a company less than a year, they can sack you without a reason, and without recourse. Usualy if a company hits financial trouble or needs to free up cash for whatever reason, it's a case of last in, first out.

Edited by Renzokuken

I appreciate what your saying - but it doesnt stop you from looking. Yes secure jobs are hard to find, but it doesnt matter where you go, any company can give as little as 3 months to 1 year trial period. (Im assuming you have worked there for 1yr+?)

What Im saying to you is, stick it out as long as you can while you look for something else. You are obviously unhappy, and you may well stay unhappy or become even more unhappy while you work there. Thats not going to be good for your health or your performance. So you have to look at the prospect of staying in a job you really dont like because its secure or stick it out until you can take the leap and work somewhere where you'll be happy.

You have invaluable assets - I dont know your personal life schedule (and Im not suggesting you tell me it). But have you thought about taking a part time course to boost your qualifications? Put that together with your transferable skills and you could find you would get a job your much happier doing - which will become obvious with your performance and lessoning the chances of losing the job before your trial period is up.

I dont like to think of anyone unhappy in any aspect of their life, especially work as everything else revolves around it.

Im just trying to help you recognise other possibilities thats all, because at the moment what comes across is 'better the devil you know' which isnt always the best attitude or approach.

I'm by no means saying Currys is perfect, and I also can understand your frustration with the rigid systems in place. But we are in deep recession, as I'm sure your aware, so its understandable that Currys want to maximise profits on HDMI cables and all other 'essentials'. But in comparrison to the older systems, this new fives is a step into the right direction. And just as managers are pushing us to make profit, their managers will be pushing them twice as hard. Not to mention the regular mystery shopper checking in on us, ready to drop our bonuses.

You are right in saying its not easy, but instead of fighing against these fives just use them to get the bonuses and when more jobs become available just move to a different one.

I'm by no means saying Currys is perfect, and I also can understand your frustration with the rigid systems in place. But we are in deep recession, as I'm sure your aware, so its understandable that Currys want to maximise profits on HDMI cables and all other 'essentials'.

Considering HDMI cables have actualy dropped in price since the recession from £45 to £40. And still.. they only get away with such a huge markup, because people think they're getting good value. Obviously they're less likely to shop around when they're told something is cheaper with their TV.

But in comparrison to the older systems, this new fives is a step into the right direction. And just as managers are pushing us to make profit, their managers will be pushing them twice as hard. Not to mention the regular mystery shopper checking in on us, ready to drop our bonuses.

Most of their "bonus" schemes have been shams anyway, whenever they seem to be about to pay out, or targets actualy look achieveable, they switch the bonus scheme around. I'm sorry but after them ripping out comission, going through 3 different bonus schemes over 3 years, plus cabs. I just don't trust them to impliment something thats a fair scheme.

You are right in saying its not easy, but instead of fighing against these fives just use them to get the bonuses and when more jobs become available just move to a different one.

I won't go against my own morals, and start using this insulting, and patronising garbage. I'm a firm believer that the customer has a right to browse the shop in peace. And ask for help when he feels he needs it, not be forced into a conversation by some bloke using open ended questioning, to deny you a sensible exit from the conversation. I don't like the fact that we have to constantly aproach customers to the point of near harassment, so I certanly don't like forcing them to talk to me.

I won't go against my own morals, and start using this insulting, and patronising garbage. I'm a firm believer that the customer has a right to browse the shop in peace. And ask for help when he feels he needs it, not be forced into a conversation by some bloke using open ended questioning, to deny you a sensible exit from the conversation. I don't like the fact that we have to constantly aproach customers to the point of near harassment, so I certanly don't like forcing them to talk to me.

Excellent qualities - patience, respect and non-agressive selling! You are the type of salesperson Im most likely to approach for advice/help as long as you appear approachable - as opposed to a salesperson who stands around and looks obviously uninterested in the customers.

ive been off currys for 9 months , im dreading going back , been told i have to go on fives training course for 2 days before serving customers , i can,t believe how many different things have changed in currys , im surprised currys have even got any staff left , i wouldn,t be going back if i didn,t need the money

ive been off currys for 9 months , im dreading going back , been told i have to go on fives training course for 2 days before serving customers , i can,t believe how many different things have changed in currys , im surprised currys have even got any staff left , i wouldn,t be going back if i didn,t need the money

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on?

Have to say we went to Currys for my washine (thats a deliberate abbreviation btw) on Wednesday and couldnt have been more pleased with the result we got

Good luck mate, let us know how you get on?

Have to say we went to Currys for my washine (thats a deliberate abbreviation btw) on Wednesday and couldnt have been more pleased with the result we got

Did they price match dixons?

(I'm betting no.)

Did they price match dixons?

(I'm betting no.)

No they didnt, they said that Dixons were an online company so therefore didnt count lol

I was given a display model though which was superior to the current models in that it had lifters built into the drum so no plastic ones to keep breaking ;)

No they didnt, they said that Dixons were an online company so therefore didnt count lol

I was given a display model though which was superior to the current models in that it had lifters built into the drum so no plastic ones to keep breaking ;)

Good stuff.

I'm not supprised about the price matching though. Most stores will look for any excuse avalable to not honor their price match.

The only way you can force them to price match is proving that a store within 10 miles has the items cheaper, and in stock ready to take away. With evidence to prove it (i.e a printout from the store). Otherwise they have a massive bag of excuses they can pull in order to get out of doing the discount.

I think i come out of the deal quite well so am pleased

Different from the days when Currys could dupe you into buying their extracare warranties just because you bought the display model

BTW whats this whatever happens guarantee like?

Sorry if this has already been discussed

I think i come out of the deal quite well so am pleased

Different from the days when Currys could dupe you into buying their extracare warranties just because you bought the display model

BTW whats this whatever happens guarantee like?

Sorry if this has already been discussed

For a washing machine. Worthless.

You can see my views on the subject here.

My main grudge with the likes of Currys, Dixons and Comet is the after sale help that you get with having to dial preium rate numbers, unhelpful staff if there is a problem and rude managers which is why we do not shop at either of these shops any more.

The only reason we go in to them is to inspect the goods prior to buying elsewhere or on line! If they had a genuine after sales service that was helpful their sales would improve and then would be no need to play mind games with customers!

My main grudge with the likes of Currys, Dixons and Comet is the after sale help that you get with having to dial preium rate numbers, unhelpful staff if there is a problem and rude managers which is why we do not shop at either of these shops any more.

The only reason we go in to them is to inspect the goods prior to buying elsewhere or on line! If they had a genuine after sales service that was helpful their sales would improve and then would be no need to play mind games with customers!

Have you put a complaint in?

• 2 weeks later...

Well reading this was truely shocking. Im sure that you have read my username and will slate my response as "spoken like a true manager" before you even read what I put however here is my honest opinion.

5ives is not about tricking the customer into purchasing anything at all. Its about greeting the customer as they walk in Room 1, if they are happy then reply in a happy mannor, if they are angry then, dont be over the top, who wants an over excited sales person greeting you when your not in a good mood.

Next when your talking to a customer, in my store Room 2: What brings you to store today? is asked as a polite greeting when you come into the store, and most customers tell us what they are looking for, we "washing machines", we'll ask them if they need any help and point them in the right direction, why i think is good customer service.

My sales people will then ask if they are a whatever happens customer and yes this is designed to plant a seed if you like about the warrenty, however most customers outright refuse the guarnetee without even thinking about the benefits, when all i ask is that my sales people tell customers what they get from their standard warrenty and then what additional benefits the whatever happens would bring, for example a replacement on the spot for smaller products as you know or a quicker repair. Again i only ask that all my staff offer and give the customer the choice, the only thing i will not accept is the sales person just not telling the customer and giving them the choice.

Next we ask if they would like to pay cash or monthly amounts, i think this is good for the customer, as lets say they would like a better machine customers might not realise that they could get a better product, lets say go from a Hotpoint to a Bosch for an extra £50-£100 which might only be say an extra £2-3 per month on easiplan (one of our credit options) that a customer would like to have if they could.

Going forward then we ask the customer: If this is their first > or are they replacing an existing one, if they are new then my staff know they may need some extra help choosing, or if they are replacing an existing one then the customer may have some features that they would really like in the new one & my team will be able to point out, not which is the most expensive but which matches what the customer needs.

As far as overcoming objections on things like paying for attachments like on TV's, and getting the premium cables, we offer a decent HDMI on a £29.99 WBW which yes you might be able to get cheaper on the net, but you get a lifetime warrenty with Belkin cables so if anything ever goes wrong with it in its lifetime then you would get a new one free. Belkin are always good for free technical advice too, as i have used them personally.

My staff are trained to point out the differences to the customer and to physically show them a demo of the difference and to let them make the decision for themselves.

As far as coming back to the whatever happens at the end, now its completely up to you what you think about guarentees, i personally have whatever happens on my products and its worked well for me.

Anything between £30-£150 is replaced on the spot (with a few excpetions), i.e. normally if you camera that you purchased lets say 7 months ago goes wrong, rather than a lengthly repair you'll get it replaced for you on the spot, to put this into perspective a product like a camera for £129 would have a £26.66 instant replacement on it covering you for 3 years for as many swaps as you need. How is this a rip off? You drop the camera? Spill water in it? or it just dies in 3 years and you get a brand new camera for the same price, and whats more even if it went wrong after a year and a half and you get a brand new £130 camera for free, you still have the remainder of the 3 years left so 1.5 years, how is this a rip off? Please explain lol.

As far as big products, 2 day call out, 21 days or you get replacement vouchers for a new one, again in law it states "within a reasonable amount of time for a repair", which is undefined, whatever happens gives you peace of mind that you problem even if you damaged it will be fixed alot quicker than going through the manufacterer.

then at the end, asking if the customer is "happy?" And yes this is partially so if the customer has been considering another product then they talk about it before leaving, but whats wrong with that? Answer and questions the customer has got before they leave and maybe they might take away that extra blu-ray player or kettle that they have been thinking about.

You sound very bitter about working for Currys, and i think this could be down to the way that you are being managed by your manager and their interpritation of 5ives and them wanting to get a good mystery shop.

In combination with you not being motivated to get behind 5ives aswell.

I must say that I have been around for all the systems, Comission, Team Bonus, CABS (customer advice bonus scheme) and now the new Margin based scheme and I understand totally what you are saying about them uping the targets in the months to come. lets watch the space.

But i must say that I have got a good team who do use 5ives but in the way i have stated to help the customer, and we have good mystery shop scores, we are generally top store on the region on the CPR Report but yet my staff are happy and enjoy the new scheme, they are briefed every morning individually how much bonus they are on so far for the month and talk about how they are doing into their 1-2-1's which in our store are done every 2 weeks rather than monthly.

Our store receives hardly any complaints, we do get compliment letters, we have a high retention rate of staff and we're doing well for both us and our customers.

I have worked along time for Currys and I believe in providing good customer servies, you wont find rude managers or staff in my store.

To clarify im a Deputy Manager and I work for £7.5m Currys Superstore in the north region.

If you want to talk to me via PM feel free and ill be happy to answer any questions, i feel like your not being motivated in the right way at all.

Anyways all the best.

Good evening Currys Manager,

Welcome to the Consumer Action Group, and thank you for your input.

We always welcome comments from within the retail industry. I think by now you will have gathered that not only are your own people unhappy with the 'Fives' scheme, but a lot of our members are as well.

You may agree with the spirit of the 'Fives' system, but do you not think that this could be another 'Target' to hold over the heads of your own employees ? The SOGA should protect most people, most of the time, with out having to pay an obscene amount of money to buy something they already have. I rather feel that 'Fives' is a 'sales pitch' rather than opportunity to look after your customers. It is this whole 'are you a whatever happens customer' that is misleading, you are already 'selling' insurance to someone who will probably have this on their contents insurance anyway. The comments like 'If this is their first >'' is a bit insulting, don't you think? Most of us stopped washing our clothes in the river a good few years ago now. What I find offensive, is the people in the 'Higher food chain' of your organization seem to think we are as naive as we were five or ten years ago.

I hope my comments don't put you off posting again, as I said, your input as a manager is appreciated, and I thank you for it.

Lex

Edited by Mr lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I would like to give Currys mgr a scenario (one that is very true of me).

Lets say I walked into your shop to buy a replacement DVD player. I have done my research, know what features I want, price to pay etc and have shortlisted 2 models that your shop stocks. The only deciding factor is really the appearance of both. I do not want an extended warranty as I have either cover elsewhere or will be covered under legislation.

Now when I walk into your store, an advisor comes to me and starts using these 5s. I tell him what I want, and refuse to hear anything of extended warrantiesand say so. I also do not want to know about any other DVDs and simply ask to be shown the dvd players I have identified.

What I expect is simply to be shown to the DVDs and a polite "give me a shout if you need help" and to be left alone.

What then, in that scenario, would you do with that staff member? He has not had the chance to do the 5s because I do not want him to. Is he going to be praised for providing excellent customer service, or "counselled" for failing to do these 5 things he is supposed to?

The point is that shops seem to think that all customers can be "persuaded" into buying things they do not want. We are not all the same. Why not ask "do you know what it is you want?" and leave it at that. Or ask "do you want a warranty". If I want to know more, I will say so. What if I ask for a copy of the warranty and ask to come back in two days after I've had a loo at it? If your staff member makes a comment on what the warranty offers, can they point to the part of the warranty that explains it? Are they also explaining the "negatives" - exclusions, excesses etc? I doubt it.

I mention that scenario above because that is what I do when I go to buy something.

If I get a hint of being pestered or pressured, I walk out.

Good evening Currys Manager,

Welcome to the Consumer Action Group, and thank you for your input.

We always welcome comments from within the retail industry. I think by now you will have gathered that not only are your own people unhappy with the 'Fives' scheme, but a lot of our members are as well.

Hello sir and thank you,

Yes I do agree that within the company there are quite a few members of staff that do not like using fives and are not comfortable with the 5ives selling model. This can be due to many factors, some members of staff that have been in the company for a long time, believe that they have been around for some time doing a good job and why should they start using fives now?

Other members of staff I believe feel under pressure that they have to get fives perfect and that they need to get everything word for word, fives is not there like a script, it is to be used as a selling technique to speed up a sale, to make sure the customer gets everything they need for a complete solution and to provide good customer services.

To give you a bit of background on myself, I started out as a cashier with Currys, then I moved on to become a sales person, then a sales team leader and then a Deputy Manager. Therefore I have worked at all the levels and I believe this gives me a certain level of empathy with my colleagues.

I have to admit that when I first went on my Fives training course in Liverpool I think it was, I was resistant to the system, I was of the opinion that I knew how to sell and I could sell well, I have in my time received a DSGi top performers award, which recognised me as one of their top 100 sales people across the whole chain and therefore I knew how to sell.

But then when I look at the system, which is all about, making sure the customer gets a good experience, the sales people ask the right questions so they can recommend a product and then make sure that they have got everything they need to connect the product up etc and then make sure the customer is happy with their purchase and if not, help them and let’s make sure that they do leave happy.

For me 5ives is about, when a customer leaves my branch, would talk to a member of family or a friend and go, yeh I went to Currys in and I bought my washing machine and I had a good experience, can’t quite put my finger on it, but yes I got what I needed and I felt good about my purchase, then I know fives is doing its job, and as aforestated in my earlier posts we do receive a fair few compliment letters.

You may agree with the spirit of the 'Fives' system, but do you not think that this could be another 'Target' to hold over the heads of your own employees ? The SOGA should protect most people, most of the time, without having to pay an obscene amount of money to buy something they already have.

Yes I do agree that used in the incorrect way it could be another target. The key there is the management team and how they interpret 5ives. If they put pressure on the sales person, don’t give then 1-2-1 coaching and look at fives in the wrong way then yes I could see where this could happen. Within our branch and indeed most across our region, they key is the staff, if the staff believe in fives, can see where there are advantages for both us and the customer, then the mystery shop scores will roll in and everyone feels better about using fives.

I’m not sure if you know this but every branch out there should have a 5ives “A”, someone who is in charge of 5ives and in charge of all training and mystery shop scores etc, in our branch it is me, as I believe it should be a member of management in charge of this and motivating our staff and making sure that they have whatever training or help they need.

It may also interest you to know that out of 21 sales people, I have got 0 members of staff on IPI (Performance Review) reference Fives because in my store the staff are motivated behind fives to give good customer services, and also on the other side, they will get rewarded in the future financially for using fives.

In reference to the SOGA, as you can imagine as the manager on duty I often have to deal with customer services escalations etc. The SOGA only presumes that if the fault occurs within the first 6 months that it was inherent from the time of purchase, and this would usually result in exchange etc. If however it was outside of 6 months, then a resolution needs to be provided with a “reasonable” amount of time, which in law is undefined.

Now yes I agree that the customer does have a 12 months guarantee and yes beyond this in England and Wales a right to remedy within 6 years. However between;

0-6 months SOGA presumes inherent from the time of purchase

6-12 months, 12 months guarantee protects, “reasonable” repair

12 months plus, and you have to get an independent Engineer to sign and swear that based upon his or her best professional opinion that the fault was there from the time of purchase, this can be very difficult and time consuming for the customer, how much money do you think an engineer would charge to do this.

Lets re-use my camera example, camera for £130, £26.99 for the 3 year cover, covering against accidental damage, water damage and break down, and even if we replace your camera with a brand new shiny one, we even let the remainder of the guarantee continue;

Ok so it’s the day before your holiday, you check to see if you camera is working and oops, no it seems to be broken, take it back to most stores, Currys, Comet, wherever, and its 8 months old, they say it needs to go away for repair (as they can as SOGA says reasonable amount of time), you have no camera for your holiday, etc Or let’s say its 2 years old, 12 months guarantee finished “but you know the law, I’ve got 6 years”, because a customer has said this to me before. Then you would need to get an independent engineer to verify and be prepared to swear in court that the fault was there from day, one is he going to charge less than £26.99 and give you a guarantee for the other year? No.

Whatever happens is not there, giving you something you already has, it speeds up the process and it is cheaper than buying a new one from scratch if anything does go wrong with the item, within the specified time frame, understandably there are those examples of where you buy a 3 or a 5 year cover and it goes wrong a year later, 4/6 years and yes you have lost your £26.99 but it did provide the protection and peace of mind in case anything had gone wrong.

Or let’s say they want to get it replaced on their house insurance, this is normally £50-£100 per claim, so they would pay £50, more than the cover, get a new camera, but then have no cover for the remainder year.

In the above example, a customer with the £26.99 cover would have walked away with a brand new camera for their holiday, and had another year left on the cover, covering all the same benefits, should the camera get dropped, have an accident with water, or get sand in it during the course of the holiday or the rest of the year.

And Gzymo, my staff explain that it does not cover, theft or loss.

Like I said earlier I have got Whatever happens on a lot of my products at home because I do believe it is cheaper.

The comments like 'If this is their first >'' is a bit insulting, don't you think? Most of us stopped washing our clothes in the river a good few years ago now. What I find offensive, is the people in the 'Higher food chain' of your organization seem to think we are as naive as we were five or ten years ago.

I know what you’re saying here, but if you look another way, we do have a lot of couples, that are buying their first houses etc, and this is their first washing machine, this is not asking, have you ever used a Washer before, this is asking, is this the first time you’re buying yourself one, do you know what to look for the features you want out or your washer or would you like me to recommend some features for you?

Some people have used a washer, but might not have a clue about choosing one, they might not know about Spin Speed, What capacity they would like etc.

Can you see how it’s not meant to be insulting?

In response to gzymo, completely understand what you’re saying and we cater for customers like yourselves who know what you’re after and you don’t need anything to go with it. Well that’s good and at the end of the day customers like yourselves are important too, you know what you want, you have good knowledge, admitably you don’t take much time off my sales people because you have it narrowed down, so these are easy sales for us (if you like), so I would not tell me staff off at all.

In your situation because I am interested in most sales I would ask?

Ah how did the customer get on? I may get the reply:

“Ah the Gent, took away a DVD player.”

I would ask if the gent took the cover or anything.

If then the sales person said nope, then gent had done his research, knew exactly what he wanted, and had everything in place, I would probably joke and say, wow, easy sale for you then eh?

I think everyone, has to remember Currys does NOT target us to get 100% attachment rates, I think this is what we forget, there are people who have their cables, bags for laptops in place and won’t need them etc. Do you know the target to get a green (pass) the attachment on bags with laptops is only 20%, one in 5? This is about right, I would say one in 5 laptop customers do generally want a bag, even before we started looking closer at this attachment.

But my member of staff would not at all be told off for this one bit; he/she may have had the chance to use fives;

Hi what brings you to store today?

I’m after a replacement DVD player and I know exactly the two that I’m after.

Ok great, are you one of our Whatever happens customers?

Nope I have cover elsewhere and I’m ok thanks.

Ok sir, so you’re replacing an existing one ok, and you know exactly what features you want in your new one, and you have two models you like?

Yes

Here are the two models that you like...

Would you like me to give you a demonstration or any further help?

No thanks, I’m ok just going to take a look at these two models,

Ok sir great, would you like me to leave you to look and come and see you in a few moments?

Either: yeh sure or No, ill come and get you when I’m ready.

Ok sir thank you.

My sales people would then leave you to do your thing etc.

Either you approach us again for help, or my staff check on your in 5-10 mins as requested.

Yeh I would like this one please.

No problem, have you considered getting the maximum potentional with improved sound and picture quality with a HDMI Lead? (I’m guessing here is a new up scaling DVD player with a HDMI port)

Either: Yeh but I’ve got all the cables I need thanks

OR: No I hadn’t really..

My staff would take you over to the Demo section where we have got a Blu-Ray player hooked up with a Scart, HDMI, composite and component cable and show you the difference between cables if you want, or if you have what you need or you don’t want this demo then that’s fine. (obviously explaining that it is blu-ray not up scaled DVD but it gives you an idea).

Process what you need through the till and would ask;

Are you happy with everything today?

I would hope that you would have had a nice shopping experience, no pressure to buy the whatever happens, been left alone if requested and had a demo of the product you had pre-chosen if required and bought whatever you liked.

And I would be happy in the fact that my sales person had looked after you and would hope that you would return to see us.

That’s how I use fives and expect my staff to use fives.

Once again thanks for your comments guys n gals because it’s nice to get feedback from everyone about it. And I am happy to answer any other questions about Fives or about Currys, although the answers that I give here are of my opinion only not cross company of course.

Regards,

CurrysMgr

Edited by CurrysMgr
Made a mess with the formatting

Some people have used a washer, but might not have a clue about choosing one, they might not know about Spin Speed, What capacity they would like etc.

But they can presumably read. I have been into Currys three times in the past few months. Each time I was made to wait for a member of staff to answer my questions because "they were the one who knows about cameras/laptops/whatever". When that supposed specialist member of staff eventually turns up they they just read the information printed on the card by the display model and can't answer any further questions.

There's no way they have any expertise or product knowledge so why am I made to wait on them?