srfrench

Landlord and Agent Legalities

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3998 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I agree with Planner. It's for the mortgage provider to take action against the landlord if they wish to enforce their contract with him, and that contract is separate from your contract with the landlord. Should the mortgage company act in such a manner, the landlord would have an opportunity to rectify the position by gaining the necessary permission to let or by finding a new mortgage. The mortgage company could only end your agreement by repossessing the property through the courts.

It's the "regardless of the landlord's protestations" bit I'd be worried about. The agent is the agent of the landlord and should not act without the landlord's permission.

I accept you are likely to take your solicitor's word more than ours, and hopefully for you your landlord does. But there are plenty of examples on this forum alone of solicitors threatening ordinary people with unlawful BS - they aren't perfect.

I just wanted to add - for teh benefit of others seeking advice - the baliffs were surely court baliffs and in which case, they must have had a name against the debt. I don't think that there would be a legal case without one. In which case, the baliffs were acting unlawfully insofar as they need to identify that you are the named debtor. If baliffs turn up on anyones doorstep and try to enter your premise or remove property when the named person does not live there CALL THE POLICE.