ATM Short changes

mooseboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Has anyone ever been short changed by a bank ATM (cashpoint) ?

Most reported problems seem to be machine crashes halfway through and doesn't dispense money at all, or gives out too much money when bank notes stick together. However, today I had to pay an overdue bill to my mum and having only £10 cash in my wallet, I visited a local 3rd party ATM before returning directly to her. The ATM claimed to have no £10 notes or receipt capabilities. I withdrew £260 and in my haste did not check the cash dispensed, although I did place it securely in my wallet before leaving the ATM. On arrival at my mum's I counted out the cash to give to her and found I only had £160 plus my original £10. On later checking my internet banking system I find that £260 was indeed debited from my account.

How can this happen and what should I do about it? I've sent my bankers, Nationwide, an online query but they say it may take 5 days to reply. Ordinarily I, like most people, might just assume I had whittled the cash away out shopping or something, but I hadn't been anywhere else at all so I know I've been "robbed". I am not a man of means so I know how much I have and where, and this loss will cause me certain financial hardship.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

I would also ring their 24 hour phone line too. NOW.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

Once, a couple of years ago, I drew £150 from my local branch. As i took the cash it sounded like the machine was printing a reciept ( I had pushed the "no receipt" button). Waiting to see what was going to happen, out popped another £150!

Later, I checked my account online, There was only one withdrawal.

Obviously I returned the extra money immediately

By 'third party' you don't mean one of those 'private' ATM suppliers? You need to contact the firm, with the precise time/date of the withdrawal, and ask for confirmation of the amount debited and dispensed (don't volunteer this info, apart from your card number used to access the cash.

Explain your investigating a shortfall, and would be grateful for any information a possible underpayment of £100. They should also tell you what denominations of notes were used to pay you.