B&Q Security dragged me out of ny van over bogus theft assumption

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guard has no more powers than you or me. He can only make a citizens arrest if he has grounds to believe your committing an offense & he can't use undue force to detain you

I thought that you could only make a citizens arrest if the crime could result in a penalty of five years or more. Does this apply to shoplifting?

I thought that you could only make a citizens arrest if the crime could result in a penalty of five years or more. Does this apply to shoplifting?

There is no specific offence of shoplifting, it is simply theft, and this can carry a max penalty of 7 years in prison.

The legislation has changed.

I think you are referring to the term 'arrestable offence'.

There was an old definition of what an arrestable offence was:-

1: Offence for which the sentance is fixed by law (eg murder)

2: Arrest for which a person over the age of 21 on first conviction *may* be commited to prison for five years or more.

3:...

(sorry, I can't remember the rest. Its been a while since I left the force!)

SOCPA is now the power that dermines whether an arrest is lawful. Under Socpa I believe the 'any person' power of arrest is only for indictable offences (for which Theft doe fall under)

• 2 weeks later...
Plain clothes staff carrying out licensable activity do not have to openly display their licence on their person in many cases.

Hi shanty

i know you have been told to start your own thread but i would like to say you both right and wrong.

Plain clothed staff do not have to have their license on show but they do have to have it on them at all times whilst working and to be able to show it to people/police as proof, No security other than in hiouse can be conducted without a license and a license must be on the staff at all times whilst working.

On a side note if the CCTV didnt work in the security office how can they prove theft ? they would be no proof of you taking an item and no proof of them removing it from your person so no offense has been commited by yourself ?

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

The legislation has changed.

I think you are referring to the term 'arrestable offence'.

There was an old definition of what an arrestable offence was:-

1: Offence for which the sentance is fixed by law (eg murder)

2: Arrest for which a person over the age of 21 on first conviction *may* be commited to prison for five years or more.

3:...

(sorry, I can't remember the rest. Its been a while since I left the force!)

SOCPA is now the power that dermines whether an arrest is lawful. Under Socpa I believe the 'any person' power of arrest is only for indictable offences (for which Theft doe fall under)

Yes i can confirm the above a Citizens arrest can be carried out for an indictable offense, however if the person arrested is not handed over to Police then the arrest is unlawful and can be considered as assult/unlawful restraint as a Police officer is the only person who can release a arrested person etc.

e.g. if i arrest someone in relation to my job i cannot unarrest them only the police can which is why security dont like arresting people.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

Hi shanty

i know you have been told to start your own thread but i would like to say you both right and wrong.

Plain clothed staff do not have to have their license on show but they do have to have it on them at all times whilst working and to be able to show it to people/police as proof, No security other than in hiouse can be conducted without a license and a license must be on the staff at all times whilst working.

On a side note if the CCTV didnt work in the security office how can they prove theft ? they would be no proof of you taking an item and no proof of them removing it from your person so no offense has been commited by yourself ?

Reliable eyewitness evidence is adequate, ( not in this case no doubt)you don't have to have CCTV to prove theft.

As for the above,I don't see where I am wrong as I didn't contradict what you said..?? I WAS talking about in-house staff there where you quoted me.

Edited by shanty

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • dx100uk changed the title to B&Q Security dragged me out of ny van over bogus theft assumption