• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Halifax claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I have started to make a claim against the Halifax, just waiting for my statements to come through. They are dragging their heels though while the Clydesdale (Im helping my mum with her claim) who have been very difficult with a lot of others on this site have already given us the statements with the miniumum of fuss!

I need to check the terms and conditions of my account to see if it is under english law or not. It would be nice if it was as I could claim everything at once but it would be more convienient to claim here as the sheffifs court is pretty handy should it get that far.

My plan of action is to ask for the whole amount in my letters then split it up at the court stage if necessary.

My only query is interest. I know that this only goes on at the court stage - am I right in thinking that if I was charged say £30 on 1/1/04 then I would add the 8% interest from this date until the claim date as this represents the interest I would have made had the bank not taken the money?

Will let you know how I get on.

cheers

caz

;)

Good Luck Caz

I am still waiting on my statements from HBOS and am not holding my breath, thankfully I have 18 months worth of statements here so am pursuing them for this timeframe whilst I am waiting ...

There was a question mark over when we can claim the 8% and the mods were working on it over the weekend, I haven't read any outcome on this yet though.

T

I will not be held liable for any advice/comments given... if in any doubt please consult professional advice.

HBOS Acc1 - Small Claim Filed 31/07/06 - WON -21/8/06 - MCOL -06/09/06 - WON 13/09/06

HBOS acc2 -Small Claim Filed 02/08/06 - WON 13/09/06 - Round 2 Prelim Letter sent 14/09.06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

HBOS acc3 Prelim Letter sent 14/09/06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

Cazza57,

Very useful link about juristdiction at the Govan Law centre

Also Vampiress has a spreadsheet for use in Scotland .(which includes interest and I used as the basis of my schedule of claim)

Best of Luck

CharlieHo

Nationwide Total settlement for first claim £810.92 (Charges £570.00) total charges £2579.00 (Another 4 claims to make)

Tesco personal Finance -NO penalty charges see post end thread

Egg DPA complaint sent to ICO see thread

Egg also trying to get defaults removed

Abbey National/MBNA credit Card - Eventually settled in FULL:)

Citibank Preliminary sent 19/08/06

MBNA DPA sent 30/07/06

Mrs CharlieHo v Providian DPA sent 30/07/06

MORE TO FOLLOW

Advice & opinions of CharlieHo are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

thanks for that. I am now looking for evidence to support my claim that the bank charges are penalties incase I do get to be the first person to take my claim to court (and win obviously).

I wll go through the Govan Law site with a fine toothcomb and go through the rest of this site (read all the scottish forum stuff)

As for my claim I am STILL waiting for the statements from my bank.

caz

Have decided to try and chase up Halifax for my statements, not expecting much success though.

I have about a years worth of statements online so I am printing them off as I type and will tally the charges up. If they are reasonable I will start my claim (not want to do 5 claims if two will do) as I am tired of waiting and want to get the ball rolling.

caz

• 1 month later...

hi

My statements came through eventually after I had sent my first letter using a years worth of statements. When I went through them I noticed that 2003 was a very short year - it lasted a few days! The statements jump from 31/1/03 to 31/1/04. I have been in touch with Halifax but still waiting...

I recieved an offer of good will of £188, my first claim is £620 so i rejected this and sent my second letter. I will need to get prepared to pu a court claim in very soon. I am fed up waiting for 2003's statements so I have averaged out my charges and estimated what these should be and prepared the first letter for this claim. I will make sure that I don't have both claims heading for court at the same time.

Caz

• 2 weeks later...

hi

I have served my claim at my local court as it is way too much hassle to have to go to England if they don't settle soon. I broke my claim up so I am under the £750 limit. I also send my second claim second letter so the bank knows I am serious and I can take the second one to court as soon as the first one is resolved. I have until November for the bank to decide to pay me or defend...

caz

• 1 month later...

the good news is that the bank decided to pay out my court claim plus costs and interest...

and they offered me a settlement for my second claim which I decided to accept. They paid the court claim within 5 working days.

The bad news is I am still waiting for the cash from my second claim (the settlement). Its been 15 working days. And the bank have given me a £90 charge!

Hi, firstly congratulations on your win. Ive just filed my first small claim at court and am waiting hear my return date etc.

I would chase the bank for the settlement they offered and I would write a pre lim letter for the £90 charges they just applied.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

I am now chasing up my new £90 charge and trying to get my settlement. I have written to Halifax telling them if they do not give me my money in 7 days I am going to court.

Question is this: If they claim they do not have my signed form stating I would accept the settlement can I go ahead and claim in court for the full amount? Can I go ahead and claim for the full amount anyway (its nearly 25 working days) due to the inconvienience? I only settled to stop the hassle of having to go to court but it looks like I'm going anyway!

thanks

caz