Reserve Usage Fee's

xray2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My daughter has an account with Barclays she is a student. She went to them some time ago to explain she was having problems while awaiting a bursary payment so they gave her an overdraft of £200. That was fine for a while but then she had heart surgery and as a result of her medical condition had to change degree's and is now awaiting student loans payments so has zero money until the paperwork goes through. Barclays wrote to her and told her they had given her something called a Reserve of £150, which got eaten with direct debits. They are now charging her £22 every 5 days which they are claiming is a reserve usage fee. I have only just found out about this, she has felt embarassed and kept it to herself, she really does not need this stress on top of her heart condition and operation! Any help will be gratefully recieved :)

Hi Xray,

This is how B's new charging regime works. You may want to see if she'd be better off by opting out of the new scheme and back to the old charging system.

In the meantime, it's important to try and get the balance brought back below her o/d limit and keep it there, or this will spiral out of control quickly.

She could try talking to her branch to see if some arrangement can be found that avoids further charges until her money comes through. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick132,

Can she just ask to opt out of this system? I am staggered they can charge £22 every 5 days on an amount she never even asked for, she originally asked for £200 overdraft they raised it by another £150 without telling her. In the meantime I will get her to talk to them and fingers crossed they will help!! She is a lovely very polite young lady so that may get her somewhere, the flip side is she is a bit too nice sometimes!

Thanks for your help it is very much appreciated :)

Hi Xray,

If YD is that nice, it may be an idea for someone with a bit more life experience to visit the branch with her.

Opting out is an option but they'll still charge under the old rules, ie £30 (or whatever) per unpaid item or per item that increases balance beyond limit.

You need to work out what is cheaper for her. The branch may help her, or they may just offer bucketloads of smelly stuff - luck of the draw.

But getting the balance down quick is vital to avoid the spiral I mentioned before. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)