HELLLPPPP!?!? Money mysteriously appeared in my account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bank with Lloyds TSB, but still hold an account with another bank, which, for a short while, I allowed a colleague to use - under my supervision.

I sent a formal letter requesting the company to stop using my account, which they did! Today though, I checked on the old account - which is still used for cheques and to my surprise over £400 has appeared.

Now the company both myself and my friend used to work for have paid this into my account, but if it was my friends wage he would of contacted me by now if something was wrong. I mean the account has not been used for months.

I advised the company that I was closing the account, hence why it was stopped being used??? If they contact me what stance do I have?

What on earth do I do!? At the moment I am not touching it just incase.

Serious advice needed please?

20 Creditors including 1 CCJ with - you guessed it - Bryan Carter! £13467.43 owing. £2000 paid off in the past 12 months!!!

Have you asked the bank where the money came from? Was it a cash desposit or cheque? BACS? It should be traceable in most cases.

In the meantime, dont spend it. The true owner, if deposited accidentally, can ask for it back and you are legally obliged to repay it.

It is a BACS payment which is for wages by the looks of it.

If I was to withdraw it to return the balance to zero, for examkple. WOuld they take the money away making me overdrawn?

20 Creditors including 1 CCJ with - you guessed it - Bryan Carter! £13467.43 owing. £2000 paid off in the past 12 months!!!

Hi 74656

I had a mystery payment (£414 i think) go into my account (lloyds) several months ago, it wasnt BACS but was some form of electronic transfer. I didnt touch it and about 2 months later they took it back out of my account ( I did call them about it but got absolutley no where).

A couple of days later I recieved a letter from lloyds explaining that an erroneous deposit had been made which had now been refunded to sender. I then recieved a duplicate of this letter a couple of days after the first one.

I would have expected them to inform me before taking out, which they didnt. I had been tempted to move it to my savings account to get the interest and thank the FSM that I didnt otherwise I would have went overdrawn and been the proud recipient of several charges.

So my advise would be to not spend it, leave it where it is and contact them to try and get them to sort it out

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

Hi 74656,

As you're aware this is an error, or at least not yours, you should not touch the money.

If you take it out and the bank want it back, they'll come after you.

It may have been different if you were unaware of the error but, in the circumstances, you should leave the money or perhaps move it to an interest-earning deposit a/c.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)