£161 Arrears, demand for 50% or more

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, can anyone please advise me? Due to my oversight, I've been using electric for a year without being billed and now there's a demand for the full amount. I called the electric company and asked if they would set up a direct debit account so the arrears could be paid off as well as covering future bills.

They refused my offer and told me they cannot set up an account until at least 50% of the arrears are paid. I am long-term disability so do not have that sort of money spare, what are my options as the representative couldn't offer any alternative.

Hi Welcome to CAG, You have come to the right place,there are lots of people on this site that will point you in the right direction.

Check out this link http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/100405-utilities-trust-fund.html

Do hope it helps

Cheers B4E:-)

NEVER TALK TO A ---D.C.A ON THE TELE[PHONE

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING

IF YOUR NEW **PLEASE READ**

DUMMIES GUIDE TO THE FORUMS

CAN`T FIND WHAT YOU WANT?-FULL- A-Z INDEX

TEMPLATES

PLEASE DONATE TO CAG ,EVERY LITTLE HELPS

--------------------------------

Any Advice given by me is based on solely on my experiance or opnion. I have no Legal background.

If i have helped in any way please feel free to click my scales

Thank You blue4ever:grin:

Edited by blue4ever
ADD LINK

The letter's from Southern Electric. I'm now wondering if I was just talking to a script monkey that didn't want the hassle of thinking for himself so will try calling them again.

TEMPLATES

Any Advice given by me is based on solely on my experiance or opnion. I have no Legal background.

Hi Welcome to CAG, You have come to the right place,there are lots of people on this site that will point you in the right direction.

Check out this link http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/100405-utilities-trust-fund.html

Do hope it helps

Cheers B4E:-)

TEMPLATES

have you look at the utilite trust?????????????????????????????????????????????

Hi, can anyone please advise me? Due to my oversight, I've been using electric for a year without being billed and now there's a demand for the full amount. I called the electric company and asked if they would set up a direct debit account so the arrears could be paid off as well as covering future bills.

They refused my offer and told me they cannot set up an account until at least 50% of the arrears are paid. I am long-term disability so do not have that sort of money spare, what are my options as the representative couldn't offer any alternative.

Why did they not bill you for a year??? If thats the case then they should at least allow you to pay the debt back over a year too! I suggest you put in writing an amount you can afford, along with a cheque for said amount on a regular basis. Also, ask them if they have a social tariff!

• 3 months later...

Apparently, they were originally sending the bills here addressed to previous tenant, then they changed that, billing to the housing association but still addressed here. It was only when they addressed the bill to the "Present Occupier" did I open their letter and here I am.

There's been some progress made since though it's been frustrating. Before I could save the £80 they demanded, the bill had been updated to £220+ putting me back to square one. I called again but they were still adamant not to set up a new account until at least 50% of the arrears were paid. This has now increased to £320+ though I've now paid £100 so it's back down to £220+. I'll get there in the end. Thanks for everyone's support and advice.

You need to put in a dispute in writing. Are they sending you correct bills. Are they based on an actual meter reading taken by the previous tenamt or you when you moved in. If it was an estmaated reading make sure you think it reasonable- if not challenge it.

I personally would not entertain the idea of paying by direct debit - they have been known to use direct debits (against the rules mind you and it can be reversed) to collect the whole amount they considered owed. Pay by standing order or if this is not acceptable to them by cheque,

The discount they give for direct debit is overated. It is only too easy for then to take so much that you end up lending them money and they then make more than the discount by interest on your loan to them.

I did take meter readings but over time I've mislaid them so cannot verify the bills at this moment. When I can, I will apply for any refund due, you can count on that.

Regards DD, they are refusing to set up a new customer account until at least 50% of the arrears are paid (a policy I fear was put in place to force low-income customers onto the very expensive pre-paid meters) so I'll play their game for now and get the debt cleared. I actually like the DD system as you can reclaim any money's paid although it's not without it's faults I agree.