style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Please could someone give me some advice on what to do to recover rent owed to me?

Is there a thread here with ythe best way to proceed, I presume I will have to go through Small Claims, is it worth it?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Steve

Lots of ways to skin a cat Steve.

Give us some more information.

May not be able to come back today with solutions because I'm off to a wedding shortly but i'll look back here tomorrow.

Hi,

Details are as follows,

1. He moved out 11th Aug, rent owed for Aug
  2. No tenancy agreement, I understand he/we would have been on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy.
  3. No notice given by him
  4. Left sharpish, posted keys in letterbox
  5. We had big disagreements over some bills in the house, separate issue.
  6. Said he had not paid the rent becuse he had to pay the council tax bill cos his name was on it and he did not want that as I owed the one half of it and had not paid yet and they were chasing (besides the point I think but it is related to the payment of the rent)
  7. I am speaking for the landlord on this, he's a good friend of mine. Worked with me and lived there with me before this guy.
  8. Long story short, he has not paid the council tax, has lied. I have paid it today and have had to cover his rent owed for the month with the LL, so I have paid twice in effect.

I want to recover the rent he did not pay (on behalf of the Landlord)

He would try to raise issues over the property if he challenged in court. But, I do not have any knowledge on this process so will leave it there. I presume at the end of the day the rent has not been paid by him and is owed. Does/can he challenge that, what grounds could he challenge. It still has to be paid no matter what, is that right??? Questions, questions! The house was in very good order and No services were withheld and suffered no harassment, etc.

He is the sort of person that if he receives a summons he would freak and get on his high horse, he liked to think of himself as a bit of a know it all, used to quote law etc on things all the time. Very opinionated and a very large chip on his shoulder, "entertaining" in an argument too. But, he would probably go to lengths to not have something against his name, he wants to "stay of the grid" so to speak and have no interruptions/hassle in his life.

Weird one but maybe not as I am sure this sort of thing happens a lot.

Thanks

Steve

You say there was no tenancy agreement and suggest this is a periodic?

Was there NEVER an agreement?

When did he move in?

Was a deposit taken?

How many people sharing?

How is the council tax in his name?

How much was the monthly rent?

In addition to what J4L has said, do you have a forwarding address? Also can you clarify the council tax issue - that sentence just extends into gibberish to me(although my hangover wont be helping!!! :D).

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!