• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ex-Brighthouse manager available for questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They have an obligation to provide goods that are in giood working order. Go in and demand a replacement asap!! You will still be expected to make payments weekly whilst they are repairing/replacing your TV - you will have to nudge them quite a lot as they are good at taking their time!

If they refuse, then I would personally hand the goods back and cancel the agreement.......that may be the better idea to be honest.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You very much for your quick reply, I will go in and speak to them tomorrow and see what they suggest. If they cannot guarantee a replacement within a reasonable time period, would it be an option to cancel the agreement?

Thanks again.

in my experiance. you can take it back or have it picked up. they should give you a loner (a temporary replacement) then give it back when its fixed.

the only testing thing is that you still have to pay for the object while its being repaired. this often annoys people, because you dont actually have the object your paying for.

you wont get your money back from them, as youve signed an agreement and all they can say is that youve been 'renting' the product. (hire purchase) since youve had it in your house (even though its not been working) youve been hiring it.

the delivary men shoudl have set this up for you. therefore you would have been able to ask them not to leave it in your house because it doesnt work.

p.s. you cant get it fixed anywhere else other than bright house. its leagally thier property because its a hire-purchase television. so any other companies or electritions that dont deal with bright house are 'tampering' with the product.

My Advice

go as high as you can.

take it to the manager for discussion. then see if you can see the next man/woman up.

bright house dont like complaints. brighthouse managers dont like little marks on thier performance records that can stop them getting bonus'.

some m ay be willing to give you a pretty sweet deal if you pester enough.

bare in mind, lots of people who feel they arent getting thier own way. or have gone through with the contract and didnt think things through properly. or people who have payd late and cant be bothered with 'fees' often wave the 'rights' card.

brighthouse know the inn's and out's of the law on thier side and can cover thier asses quite well. try to stand out and just get your point across. let them know your serious, but in a proffesional way

yours x ll-whatthehell x

hope it helps. good luck

sorry about my spelling/grammar

Oh, and one more thing - if you did not take out the Optional Service Cover they may try and use this against you. If they do, stand your ground - you're covered by the Sale of Goods (Implied Terms) Act.......they know it too.

The words Brighthosue and reasonable do not belong in the same sentence :D but as for a reasonable time for cancelling - whenever you want. Dump the TV and tell them you are cancelling. Not much they can do really. However, if you want to continue with the agreement, let them take the TV BUT like is said above, make sure you get a loaner (although, again, without OSC they might refuse to do this, which they are possibly within their rights to do so). Definitely take it higher if you get no where - many times I went straight to the area manager and even emailed Head Office.......the BH Manager of my store was not amused when he had Head Office on his back :D.

Brighthouse are not my favourite high street store (I have had many run-ins with them - won them all though ;)), so if I can be of any more assistance let me know.

Hi, I just thought I'd update you all, it turns out that the TV I was given was an ex display model, which I expressed at the time I didn't want.

I spoke to the manager of the store this morning and he is replacing it with a new, updated model, at no extra cost.

To be honest I found the staffs attitude excellent in this case, I hope it continues.

Thanks again for all your replies :)

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have recently fell behind on my bh payments by 2wks, due to the fact that i could not meet the necessary payments and down to the way i have been treated by members of staff when something was wrong with my product. They constantly hound me on the phone 7 to 8 times a day and have even called at my home twice without my consent. all of my products are over 1/3 payed and i would like to know if you could give me any advice.

thanks

Hi

wonder if anyone can advise 13 week ago my son broke the screen on the l.c.d t.v we have from bh thing is we got in touch and they took it away to be fixed since then we have been in touch none stop apparently as we had a lcd t.v before from them that also got broken by my special needs son they say the insurance won't cover it we've had numerous things from bright house and paid through the nose never missed a payment, they lost the t.v not even sure if they have found it yet but we have been told by the store we have to continue paying for the t.v £9.99 a week for the next 139 weeks

our friend says we shouldn't pay for that 1 item as they can't take it from us as they already have it we aren't sure what to do

Unfortunately, their rip-off DLC does not cover accidental damage. It is unlikely BH will move on this one, but why they took it back is anyone's guess. Presumably they had agreed to repair it, and if so, my first port-of-call would be to the area Manager (you could probably get his name from Head Office). BH do not like it when the Manager's get involved!!

If you do stop making payments, BH will continue to hound you by all means, so unless you feel strong enough to deal with this, then I would not consider it for now. You could always write to them, demanding they do as promised and provide you with a new TV otherwise you will make no more payments and cancel the agreement. Cancelling the agreement may be in the best interests all round.

Sorry I cannot give anymore practical advice on this one......but as it was accidental damage, what you can do is some what limited.

well I just rang head office and she mentioned DLC and said if we've paid the 1 off payment of £100 for DLC it would be covered (I must admit I hadn't heard of it before I joined here) she is now investigating if we can have the tv back even though it is broken and if we haven't paid a 1 off fee how we got a replacement last time we've too ring tomorrow and see what she can find out I'll let you know

One off payment of £100 for what?? DLC is renewable weekly and NOT a policy for the duration of the agreement. I have never heard this before, and sounds like another way of BH trying to get out of something. If they ask you to stump up any money for DLC refuse on the basis that it is a WEEKLY policy (and can be cancelled at anytime, giving 7 days notice (if you have home insurance)).

In fact - do you have home insurance? If so, it may be worth contacting them to see if you are covered. Please keep me updated with this one.

I've just been on the phone again to bh head office apparently it's a failed dlc claim it may be the manager at the store or the service center who failed it I'll find out on monday or tuesday when either the area manager or the service center ring me, as the lady I spoke too has logged a complaint on my behalf she also agreed they have messed us around no end for the last 13 week , the manager told the headoffice it's our own fault as we didn't safeguard the tv we are supposed to have lcd tv's on brackets on the wall, my son has just been and paid the bill for bh they are still charging us for all the cover on the tv after telling not only us but also the headoffice they had removed all charges

I've just been on the phone again to bh head office apparently it's a failed dlc claim it may be the manager at the store or the service center who failed it I'll find out on monday or tuesday when either the area manager or the service center ring me, as the lady I spoke too has logged a complaint on my behalf she also agreed they have messed us around no end for the last 13 week , the manager told the headoffice it's our own fault as we didn't safeguard the tv we are supposed to have lcd tv's on brackets on the wall, my son has just been and paid the bill for bh they are still charging us for all the cover on the tv after telling not only us but also the headoffice they had removed all charges

Hi

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no matter how many additional policies you have with BrightHouse NONE of them will cover the item for accidental damage.

You would be in exactly the same position had you purchased the TV from Currys (for example) and had no home contents insurance.

You cannot expect a retailer to be liable for damage caused to an item by yourself - albeit by accident.

You would be well advised to remove ALL extra policies you have from your agreement with BrightHouse, and the money you will save could, perhaps, fund a repair by a reputable engineer.

Cheers

Lefty

Edited by Lefty
added a possible solution

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

£100 excess??? on a tv???? :eek: Dont have any of it!! There IS no excess on a tv dlc claim and dont let them tell you any different.

My advice would be to organise a meeting with the store manager, and have the agreement re-written with both dlc and service cover taken off. They cannot do it wothout you there because they will need you to sign the new agreement.

I received a phone call from the area manager they are writing the TV off and giving us a new one apparently it's as we have always been such good customers and have only had the 2 problems they are letting this go i also received a letter from the manager from bh today saying it was because we hadn't safeguarded the tv which is why it had failed the dlc but according to the area manager this didn't apply so i'm not sure what the reason was we had been turned down however a new tv will be delivered soon thankyou for all you help on this matter as if it wasn't for you all i think we'd have let this slide

I received a phone call from the area manager they are writing the TV off and giving us a new one apparently it's as we have always been such good customers and have only had the 2 problems they are letting this go i also received a letter from the manager from bh today saying it was because we hadn't safeguarded the tv which is why it had failed the dlc but according to the area manager this didn't apply so i'm not sure what the reason was we had been turned down however a new tv will be delivered soon thankyou for all you help on this matter as if it wasn't for you all i think we'd have let this slide

All sounds very rosy...

...but I'll bet my last chocolate biscuit that you will simply be offered a brand new 3 year agreement on a new telly.

Accept the new agreement (if you want to) but make sure you decline the optional service cover and damage liability cover that comes with it.

Oh - I've just found another chocolate biscuit...

...and I'll bet THAT biscuit that BrightHouse will say Optional Service Cover and DLC are CONDITIONAL on accepting their offer!!!!!

Please prove me wrong.... :)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

I need some advice on this as I am very dissatified at the service I have received from Brighthouse lately. I bought a 32" LCD Baird TV 2 years ago and sent it for repair a week and a half ago. They took the TV away for repair and left me with a loaner, which was a refurbished TV (same model). This loaner broke down on me within 24 hours!! I phoned the Lewisham branch, where I got the TV from, and they said that I couldn't get another loaner as the TV was due back on the 16th July and the soonest they could get another one to me was the 15th July. I wasn't happy and asked them to try and get an engineer in but they said that the 15th was the soonest they could do anything.

I waited til the 16th, my wife stayed in all day waiting for the delivery, but it never turned up. On phoning brighthouse I was told that the delievery driver ran out of time and couldn't deliver the TV next day to me. However a kind shop assistant said he lived down the road from me and would deliver on the 17th July, but after 10pm. Thought that was fair enough and said that it was fine. Last night (17th July) I waited up til midnight but nothing.

I phoned them up this morning and it turns out that AGAIN the delivery driver didn't deliver the TV to the store this time so the shop assistant could not deliver the TV to me. I have put in a complaint with customer services but right now I am thoroughly fed up with Brighthouse and, although I have been told the TV will be delivered on Monday, I just can't see it happening. Any advice on this and is there anything I can do as I feel that they need a jet up their backsides to do anything. As a consumer surely they want to keep my custom and right now I am never going to use them again. They have credited my account twice, although still expecting me to pay for the TV stand which is deemed useless without the TV. Help would be much appreciated :)

I have a cooker with BH, had to get it after my son made cheese on toast and set my old one on fire (bless him).I have had it over a year.

my only complaint is that they will not allow me to set up a DD so I have to phone them up once every 4 weeks and pay that way. I wanted to do it by DD because it is easier and there are no chances of me forgetting to phone, which has happened on a couple of occassions but they told me they don't do DD.

but yes I have the DLC and the OSC I don't have house insurance....might be a cheaper option if I did though...will look into this.

hi john

i got stiffed for 9pound late payment charge on 3 agreements and i spoke with the store who said that i have to pay it i have done so in the past but this time told them to go whistle and i would only pay what i owed wouldnt except payment anyway i am on holiday and went back home for the day as i had things urgently i had to sort out when i got home there was a card from brighthouse saying they called to collect the goods so i rang the mobile number on the card and spoke to a delivery/pick up driver who was vile from the moment he answered the phone i told him i would pay the outstanding balance and not the late payment fee which i would take up with head office he turned round and told me you will pay the late payment charges you signed to say you would so again told him to do one in reply he called me a pr**k and ended the call by also calling me a tw*t.

about 5mins later the manager from the store rang and i told her about this vile member of there staff and she was not interested so i ended the call.

hour later as i was about to leave to go back on holiday a white van turned up i was on my way down to the car and went over to the van and asked if he was from brighthouse which he replied yes i told him not to verbally abuse me on the phone again as your nothing but a silly smug w***ker and left turned round and said he had called the police and was then saying how i was gonna get arrested and i told him for what but he refused to answer me. i left it and told my partner that i had to get out of the house as my blood was starting to boil because he was sat in his van and when we looked out the window he was making two finger salutes.

my partner said he continued to do it even when i went out anyway my partner rang the police who came.

this vile ****** had told the police i threatened to break his legs on the phone and when i went to the van which i never there were witnesses to this effect that i didnt say no such thing anyway the police were happy that that is what happened and he told the police officer that he would return with a court warrant which is recorded in the police officers notepad and most probably updated on there police log.

i did again offer to pay him minus the late fee in which he told me that they are not going to accept any payments from me at all and want the goods back.

can they refuse to stop taking my payments????

and what should i do in relation to the guy that turned up and his actions he was so smug it was unreal but to verbally abuse me and make false accusations to the police now that is something else is this new brighthouse style???

i dont want brighthouse ringing me or just turning up to be honest i was shocked more than anything on how he spoke to me as if it was something he just trood on.

even the police officer was bemused by the fact that somebody had allegedly threatened him on the phone but he still turned up on his own to the address???

any advice john would be so much appreciated or anyone else as i am screwed really as i have not hit that 3rd mark but as said before they will not take a single penny off me and just want there goods back.

thanks all continue keeping the good work up always :)

Edited by clb1978

How long have you had the goods? If you have paid more than 2/3rds off the agreements then they need a court order to get them back. If it's less than 2/3rds, they still need a court order to enter your house! They have no rights to enter your home and take the goods either way - so tell them to shove off. You have stood your ground with Brighthouse once, so continue to do so. They are bullies, but you have shown you are not a push-over.

If they do take you to court (which is highly unlikely as they take no one to court), make sure you have a copy of the police crime number (and the report as well). You could possibly take this further with the police and press charges against him......

As for BH not taking any payments - try sending them a payment through the post (by cheque or postal order) and send it recorded delivery to them. If they return it, you have the proof they are refusing your payments. I don't know whether they accept payments this way (I can't remember).

OR go to the store and try and pay the amount you owe. If they refuse, ask for this is in writing (they won't). Tell them you will be contacting head office and you would like the contact details of the Area Manager as well. Email Head Office and ask for them to confirm that payment is being refused, and explain the same to the Area Manager.

I think you will struggle to get out of paying the late payment charge. It is part of the agreement that you signed (unfortunately) so they have a good argument there. However much I hate the charge, I don't think you can get out of it.

Remember, when you next try and make a payment they are going to demand the arrears plus an extra week for you to catch up. When they did this to me, I refused and asked them where it stated this on my agreement (it doesn't). They said it was their policy (which they could not show me) and that I had to pay. I ended up paying the arrears into the yellow money and walked away - until the following Saturday when I paid the next weeks. Then I was up to date. They didn't like it - but hey - your the customer right?

One last thing - if you have optional service cover, cancel it!! If you have DLC (and you have your own house insurance) then cancel that too!! The policies are all about making profit for BH and are totally worthless ;)

thank you clemma

will do that once i am home from holiday.

can you point me in the right direction of a template letter to send to brighthouse to demand that all correspondence is done by post and to withdraw my rights from them visiting me at home without my permission

much appreciated

Edited by clb1978

Letter:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully

thank you ever so much clemma

as soon as i sort my printer out the letter will be going straight off to them along with a postal order for amount owed minus late payment fees.

lets just hope its not a return to sender job :)

the good news came home today to find no phone calls or notes from brighthouse. maybe they have after all gone to get there court order.

something been really bugging me is that brighthouse driver smug t*sser never did call the police it was a bluff but he sat outside my house for over two hours for what??? just to make hand signs to my partner through the van window and too try and intimidate us.

so the only record the police have of attending this address is when my partner had enough and called them.

should i inform head office of the incident that took place or do you think i am just wasting my time????

again thanks clemma now i am back i can do more things.

take care

CLB

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks