Pandora_nini

Amex taking me to court - any advice - *** WON ***

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3575 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi BRW, have just noticed that you're online, and wondered if you could help me ?

I am just completing the letter to go to Brachers this afternoon (need to fax and post it today), and in my last para where I confirm that I will pursue my counterclaim, I was wondering if it would make more sense if I said:

Unless your client is able to revise their offer to reflect the above, I will pursue my counter claim through the Court for the full amount and the removal of any Default or Termination notices under Section 14(1) of the Data Protection Act 1998 from their records and additionally advise any third parties, such as credit reference agencies of this.

I realised when reading it through that I wasn't giving them option to come back to me with a more reasonable agreement, but not sure if I can/ should say this?

Sorry to ask you direct, and you may not be sure, but any other opinion would be most gratefully received! :)

Edited by Pandora_nini
highlighting what had changed in the letter

Hello PN!

One last thing before I head off to my pit...

If you can, get a Copy of Patricia Pearl's book:

The link takes you to the CAG PayPal Screen where you can buy it on-line.

It's very good, and may fill in some of the blanks for you.

Cheers,

BRW

I have just ordered it..... thanks!

Hello PN!

They did say that it should have automatically been transferred, so they can't see an issue with it!

Only issue could be if the Judge plays Golf with the Directors of Amex at the Brighton Golf Club and/or likes to roll up one trouser leg with the same people for a good spanking session at the Brighton Freemason's Lodge!

All being well the Judge is not influenced by Amex, and will agree to the Transfer without hesitation.

If not, then you will need to force the Court to move the case to your Home Court.

Let's see what gives after 16:00 today!

Cheers,

BRW

Hello PN!

Only issue could be if the Judge plays Golf with the Directors of Amex at the Brighton Golf Club and/or likes to roll up one trouser leg with the same people for a good spanking session at the Brighton Freemason's Lodge!

All being well the Judge is not influenced by Amex, and will agree to the Transfer without hesitation.

If not, then you will need to force the Court to move the case to your Home Court.

Let's see what gives after 16:00 today!

Cheers,

BRW

:eek: #Shock horror, that doesn't happen does it? All honest and above board, surely ???:eek:

Hi BRW, have just noticed that you're online, and wondered if you could help me ?

I am just completing the letter to go to Brachers this afternoon (need to fax and post it today), and in my last para where I confirm that I will pursue my counterclaim, I was wondering if it would make more sense if I said:

Unless your client is able to revise their offer to reflect the above, I will pursue my counter claim through the Court for the full amount and the removal of any Default or Termination notices under Section 14(1) of the Data Protection Act 1998 from their records and additionally advise any third parties, such as credit reference agencies of this.

I realised when reading it through that I wasn't giving them option to come back to me with a more reasonable agreement, but not sure if I can/ should say this?

Sorry to ask you direct, and you may not be sure, but any other opinion would be most gratefully received! :)

Any opinion on the addition to the letter? Thanks

Can I email this letter to them as well as posting it recorded delivery - or should I just fax and post it?

Hello PN!

How about this:

Further to your letter dated 20th January 2009, received 29th January 2009, please be advised that I would be more than happy to consider settling this matter out of Court.

However, whilst I have provisionally consented to the use of a mediation service, upon reflection, I cannot now see any benefit in doing so. The costs outweigh the advantages, and such mediation would work in the Claimant's favour by denying me the right to a full hearing where the fatal weaknesses in the Claimant's position can be seen and reviewed by a Judge.

I am unable to accept your settlement of £460 for the following reasons:

(1) I have yet to receive any evidence that an original properly executed Regulated Credit Card Agreement exists. Despite repeated requests, no such evidence has been provided, either by the Claimant or by their Agents or by yourselves.

(2) I have not received a true copy of the original Default Notice.

(3) The Claimant knowingly charged me Unlawful Penalties totalling £447.00. My counterclaim is for £447.00 and £141.16 interest under Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 resulting in a total counter claim for £588.16 as at 22 November 2008. I should also be entitled to Contractual Interest in addition, and may seek to amened my Counter-Claim accordingly to include this further sum to which I am entitled.

From the above, it is therefore clear that your client has chosen to pursue this course of action knowing that their Claim is without merit, as it is wholly made up of Unlawful Penalty Charges and interest that your Client has charged against these Penalty Charges.

Unless your Client is willing to be reasonable, I will have no alternative but to pursue my Counter-Claim through the Court for the full amounts above. In addition, I will seek the removal any Default or Termination notices under Section 14(1) of the Data Protection Act 1998. All adverse data must also be removed from third party records such as Credit Reference Agencies.

I look forward to your considered response, in due course.

The Mediation issue could, potentially, be why the Case has been stuck at Brighton...i.e. they may've booked that already...or should I say Amex have made sure it was booked at Brighton, knowing full well that would cause the Case to stay at Brighton too!

That's why I feel you may need to pull out of the Mediation issue pronto!

Cheers,

BRW

Hello PN!

Can I email this letter to them as well as posting it recorded delivery - or should I just fax and post it?

I'm a great fan of email, but I think it should be avoided if possible when dealing with legal issues via slippery lawyers/bankers!

Do always remember that if they possibly can, then they will always use a means to communicate that is not accountable.

Like the Telephone.

Like email.

It may be OK to send them something via email, provided you make it clear it's a one-off. You will not otherwise communicate with them other than in writing and via Paper!

Anything they send you must be on a Letterhead, because then it is hard evidence. You get the original copy!

An email, on the other hand, could be classed as Hearsay Evidence. Proving what you get and what was sent, is much harder, not impossible, just a lot harder.

The best is always a nice fancy letterhead with the letter in the middle and their signature at the end. Then whatever they say in that letter, is evidence...even if they hide behind a Without Prejudice heading, it's still always better to have hard copy than a vague telephone conversation or a plain email that is hard to link back to them.

Rule Number One = Keep everything in writing.

Rule Number Two = see Rule Number One!

Cheers,

BRW

Thank you BRW, you are such a star, it reads so much better than mine! I am going to email it and post it today recorded delivery. They have given me until 7th (tomorrow) 4pm to respond, so if they get it today then they can't complain.

I haven't actually agreed to the mediation thing yet.....

I am going to get this letter sent now.

Be in touch in a bit when I have spoken to the court

Hello PN!

They have given me until 7th (tomorrow) 4pm to respond, so if they get it today then they can't complain.

That's a Deadline they appear to have set themselves!

Don't worry about ignoring that if so.

I make a point of always ignoring any such silly deadlines that the bankers or their lawyers try to impose.

If/when I do respond, it's always after their Deadline just to make a point that it had no validity.

Their aim is always to set the agenda and timescales. If you let them, they'll soon have you jumping through hoops for them, followed by a range of Circus tricks for them after that!

Cheers,

BRW

Hi have emailed the letter to my other half and he is going to fax it off to them before 4.00pm. will post a hard copy to them by recorded delivery, good advice on the email.

Thank you again.

Great news, BCC have just confirmed that the case will get transferred to my local court, and that the date of 25th Feb is no longer applicable, and that my local court will be in touch with a new date!! BCC also confirmed that they would be writing to me to confirm this.

And have faxed off the letter to Brachers, so will see what happens there!

I'll post an update as soon as I have any news.

Thanks to you all for responding so quickly in the last couple of days - you've been a huge help.

Have a good weekend.

x

Great news, BCC have just confirmed that the case will get transferred to my local court, and that the date of 25th Feb is no longer applicable, and that my local court will be in touch with a new date!! BCC also confirmed that they would be writing to me to confirm this.

x

Well done Pandora, watching with interest... keep up the fight:)

PmW

Are You as Anonymous on CAG as You Think You Are? *Link*

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

Hello PN!

Great news!

That was important, as getting it away from their Home Court was important.

I'm sure the Court is fair and the Judges don't all play Golf with Amex but, that potential exists, so you could not afford the risk.

The local Council down there is very pro-Amex...because of the revenue. If in doubt, just do some Googling and you'll soon see what I mean. There's Amex local football teams, sponsorship, advertising.

Amex are a large fat fish in a comparatively small pond.

Put another way, can you imagine an anti-Amex Judge lasting very long in Brighton?

I can't say you'll ever have a level playing field, but the steep slope against you has just tipped your way a little.

Cheers,

BRW

Hello PN!

Great news!

That was important, as getting it away from their Home Court was important.

I'm sure the Court is fair and the Judges don't all play Golf with Amex but, that potential exists, so you could not afford the risk.

The local Council down there is very pro-Amex...because of the revenue. If in doubt, just do some Googling and you'll soon see what I mean. There's Amex local football teams, sponsorship, advertising.

Amex are a large fat fish in a comparatively small pond.

Put another way, can you imagine an anti-Amex Judge lasting very long in Brighton?

I can't say you'll ever have a level playing field, but the steep slope against you has just tipped your way a little.

Cheers,

BRW

I was a student in Brighton for 3 years, most of it is a haze but I do recall quite a few Amex buildings. Little did I know at the time how my associated with that Costal town would develop........... that's irony for you!

PS. EDITED

Edited by slick132
comments could cause offence

I think Gordon (for F's sake) Ramsey did one of his Kitchens from Hell series down there!

Sounds like Amex is made for the place (or vice versa).

Cheers,

BRW

I received the court order yesterday confirming the transfer of the case to my local court - and not a peep from Amex in response to my letter. Maybe they're peeved about the transfer :eek:

I'll update when and if I get a response from Brachers/Amex.

Guest dvdriley

I'll bet they are!!

At long last, some news:

Received a note from my local court a few days ago, with a date in a couple of weeks for a case management hearing, and then last night came home to a letter from Bracher's:

Offering to withdraw their claim if I withdrew my counterclaim given the economies of the case :lol::lol::lol:. They have included a consent form for me to sign and return as soon as possible...... the only thing is they have made no reference to my request to remove the default.

I really want this default removed, so will write back and agree to withdraw the claim provided the default is removed from all credit reference agencies in the next 14 days? Can I do this, does anyone have any thoughts on this? I feel like I am on a stronger footing given that they want to withdraw :grin:

Looks like they are ready to back down.

And I don't think they are simply looking to compromise because of the economics - if they had a valid Credit Agreement they'd pursue this. If you want the default removed, now is the time to do it.

Letter to Amex:-

Dear sir or madam,

I have received your letter of xx March, the contents of which are noted.

I will not withdraw my counterclaim and confirm my intention to seek:-

1. Full refund of all unlawful penalty charges plus interest up to the date of settlement.

2. Removal of the Default registered for this account.

If your client will not agree to these terms, I am happy to let the matter be decided in court.

I assume that you are still unable to provide the executed credit agreement, as requested previously, but I now require your confirmation on this point. In the absence of this specific document, your client's claim against me is bound to fail.

I look forward to your prompt reply, bearing in mind the forthcoming hearing set for xx date.

Yours failthfully,

Pandora

:cool:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Looks like they are ready to back down.

And I don't think they are simply looking to compromise because of the economics - if they had a valid Credit Agreement they'd pursue this. If you want the default removed, now is the time to do it.

Letter to Amex:-

Dear sir or madam,

I have received your letter of xx March, the contents of which are noted.

I will not withdraw my counterclaim and confirm my intention to seek:-

1. Full refund of all unlawful penalty charges plus interest up to the date of settlement.

2. Removal of the Default registered for this account.

If your client will not agree to these terms, I am happy to let the matter be decided in court.

I assume that you are still unable to provide the executed credit agreement, as requested previously, but I now require your confirmation on this point. In the absence of this specific document, your client's claim against me is bound to fail.

I look forward to your prompt reply, bearing in mind the forthcoming hearing set for xx date.

Yours failthfully,

Pandora

:cool:

Thank you Slick for your prompt reply. I am probably being a bit dense, but I don't want to continue the counterclaim as it almost exactly balances out the amount they claim is outstanding on the account bar £9.00 (incl statutory interest), but I do want the default removed..... so should I really be saying that I won't drop the counter claim for the unlawful charges, etc?

Sorry, it is probably me not quite "getting it".

Thanks

Pandora

Hi Pandora,

See what others think, but my opinion is you should not back down at all.

Without the Credit Agreement, they have no basis to proceed with the claim against you - end of story.

But you still have the right to reclaim penalty charges and interest AND to have those charges repaid to you direct. As opposed to them being off-set to reduce the account balance.

If you choose to settle the account with them, that is your prerogative, but they cannot have this enforced by a court.

This strategy keeps you in control and you're better palced to seek the Default removal, either before, or in, court.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hello PN!

Just a flying visit as a little busy at the moment.

See what others think, but my opinion is you should not back down at all.

I agree with Slick132, don't back down!

Cheers,

BRW

Hi Pandora

I also agree with BRW and Slick. Amex/Brachers have undertaken litigation against you and in the process trashed your credit ratings. There are many cases on CAG where this will be removed by the court given that, in your case, they had imposed unfair charges on your account.

Amex have now realised that their bluff and hot air has not worked on you and they are now seriously heading for the brown stuff. Hence they are having Brachers try to come to a settlement with you. If is unlikely that they will conform to your CRA corrections, hence you should continue with this action.

You will get all the support and help you need on here, stick with it!