• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dare i mention Cabot

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning to all and sundry.

I've been looking through other threads and can't seem to find any others on this particular problem.

1996. Bought a very expensive vacuum cleaner and got finance from the associates. Lost my job so couldn't afford the payments. Asscociates refused lower payments so stopped paying. They accepted £10 per month. Associates bought out by Citi. 2001 i got a citicard. As explained in my other thread about lowells I had a massive breakdown and stopped paying my cards and debts before my wife and i split up and i moved out, staying here and there for about 3.5 years until i settled down last year.

Last year Cabot contacted me about a citi debt and of course, me being the type of guy who, when they say jump i say how high (!) i accepted the debt blindly. The amounts seem high but I'm thinking they have amalgamated my credit card debt and my vacuum loan into one debt.

At last, the questions. If one debt is for a loan and the other is for a credit card, can I CCA them for both or is there another form to use for the loan part?

In the letters received from Cabot The balance outstanding was £580 odd but in the next one it's gone up to £743 and the one following £747 ( I'm not bothering adding pennies) even though I was paying. With an arrangement in place are they allowed to add interest?

My apologies if this seems a little trivial but my feeble brain doesn't seem able to work at the moment:???:

Any help gratefully received

Fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What can I say. YOU DA MAN (WOMAN?) lol

thanks odc. I knew i could rely on you

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hi again all,

You've probably heard all this before but as I'm a newbie I find all this legal stuff confusing.

I'm in the process of doing a CCA letter to Cabot and was wondering, as I've already acknowledged the debt whether i should reword the heading to read:

I NO LONGER ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY YOU CLAIM TO REPRESENT

In a previous post ODC said to send 2 CCA requests but I don't know if the debt is just for the credit card or both the card and the loan as I have no confirmation of this. Should i just send one for now?

I also have no letters from citifinancial to tell me they sold on the debt as I've mentioned I did a lot of moving around

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm stupid, mainly cos I am:?

Forgot to mention, as I'm already paying, should I continue or stop paying them

Don not put the words NO LONGER in your CCA requests. The reason I said send two CCA requests is to see if there are in fact two debts rolled into one. You can legally stop paying these clowns 12 working days after they receive your request. The law allows 2 working days for delivery

Thanks for that ODC. I'll reprint the letter and get it posted tomorrow and I'll still pay them next Thursday just to be on the safe side

Thanks again

Update:

got a reply today. just the usual. returned postal order and "we will endeavour to reply within 12 days"

Well you had better or else NO PENNIES:-D:-D

fox

:evil:Hi again. :evil:

I've just been looking over some previous letters from Cabot.

In one from January this year the outstanding balance was just over £600 but in the latter i got today the balance is just over £700.

In Feb 2007 the balance was around £750. What the hell is going on??? are they allowed to add interest on to an agreed payment plan and I've never missed a payment since the first one in March last year, so in 21 months, Ive paid off less than £40. Something wrong somewhere. I was going to pay this months payment today as the CCA has only just been sent but they can bog off now.:evil:

fox:evil::evil:

ME, ANGRY, How could you tell:evil:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Crapbot.

Wait to see what, if anything, comes back from your CCA requests before doing anything else.

There is a strong possibility that you can launch an offensive on this as they are clearly behaving unlawfully, but for now just be patient.

Make sure you keep as much paper evidence of their misdemaenours as you can.

SH

Thanks SH.

:evil:I know I've not missed any payments so they shouldn't be adding charges. In fact I paid every 4 weeks not every calendar month so I was always ahead of them. OOHH how i wish i could swear without being CAGbotted so I'll just say I'm bloody fuming:evil:

Fox

:evil:STILL ANGRY:evil:

I feel like chopping my Crapbot payment card in to tiny pieces and posting it back a bit at a time. Would cost a lot but I'm bloody minded at the mo.:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

I sometimes get accused of various things for advocating non payments to DCA's...but this is exactly the reason why amongst many others.

They simply treat debtors as cash cows - they dont give a damn about a specific debt in question, just how much they can squeeze out for their own profits.

I would recomend cutting the payment card up as it has no authority whatsoever.

They are not entitled to 1 penny ever...only the county court is, so tell them to get lost :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

:evil:I agree Mrton.

I would rather spend the tenner on buying 20 stamps and envelopes and sending one piece a day and let them work it out (the identifying pieces last of all lol):evil:

fox

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Well today is the day Cabot default and guess what came through my door.

Cabotscanedit.jpg

How very magnanimous of them to put my account on hold. Such a generous gesture (I DON'T THINK):|

I'm going to post my first reply from them which I received on 31/10/08 just play a game called spot the deliberate error but if you can't see it, I'll mention it at the end.

cabot1scanedit.jpg

I am glad they put my account on hold as I didn't pay them this month anyway:)

The error: on the first letter they put my balance at £700 odd but in this letter it's mysteriously dropped to just under £600. I personally think they've been caught in a con by adding charges and interest when the agreement said that they would only add this if i defaulted on my payments which I didn't until last month.

How long before they sell this debt on?

fox

well the ammount of time passed, they are up the creek with out a paddle as no agreement

all i can say is prepare for the dca merry go round

ive just begun a court claim against two dca for statute barred debts from 1998, and in there wisdom have slapped 2 defaults on my credit file

its not nice i know

they are a law unto them selves ime afraid

postggj,

I see a Data Protection Act complaint coming. Statute barred and trying it on. How very nice(!) of them:-|

fox

Try not to be afraid postggj - that's what they rely on. At least the accounts are on hold for now (that's more than any of my creds have done for me, despite them being in default); it will probably take some time for the OC to come up with the agreement (if they can find it at all), so at least that buys you a little breathing space:) Best of luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

After a few days umming and ahhing about this and after a bit of input from 42man, I decided to send Cabot an account in dispute letter. Once they get that letter they'll know that i now know my rights regarding selling on the debt which (if I'm lucky) they won't do. I know it's a risk that the letter may make them look a bit harder for a valid CCA but I felt I needed to cover myself. I know some of you think that I shouldn't encourage them but the deed is done now.

fox

Afternoon all,

I've been doing some more reading and a lot of thinking.

If you read post 1 you'll see that i ended up homeless for a while but I did the responsible thing and contacted all my creditors and gave them a contact address where they could send letters but the guy who's home it was moved and didn't tell me. I rang his number to find it was disconnected so I went round and found new people there. They had sent all letters back marked return to sender.

Basically what I'm saying is that I never received a default notice or letter of assignment from anyone.

Where do I stand? Do I need to be sending an SAR to Citi or just let things lie for now?

fox

any help gratefully accepted (AKA bump)

Difficult question, and you will get sensible arguments on both sides.

It is a shame that you didn't receive the Notice of Assignment, because it would almost certainly have been a Crapbot special - a fake on obviously reconstructed letterhead.

Some people would say leave this well alone while there is no problem. The question is how would you handle it if Crapbot suddenly produced an agreement and went to court?

If you send for the SAR, you will (if they comply) get a copy of the Default Notice, which may or may not be compliant. You should get a copy of the Notice of Assignment, but you probably won't because it won't have been issued properly - it will have been a botch job from Crapbot. If there were substantial unlawful charges on the account, before it was sold, you will be able to calculate these.

On balance, I would send the SAR, especially as the vaccuum account and the card should both be covered by this. I realise it will make you £10 poorer, so only you can really decide. It may just allow you to prepare a more effective defence if Crapbot did go to court.

SH

Thanks SH for that.

I suppose it's because everything has gone quiet and having seen other posts where Cabot keep chasing no matter what, unnerves me slightly. You're right about seeing what others have to say first. I'm in no mad rush at the mo. Perhaps I'll wait to see what comes back from Cabot first (if anything). If they start chasing again then perhaps that's the time to SAR Citi. As i've constantly been saying, I'm not out to avoid the debt, I just want them to understand that I'm not going to be the pushover they may think I am. I don't want to get to the situation if Cabot SD me and I then have to SAR Citi with little or no time to reply Am I overly worrying?:|

fox

No, just being cautious and sensible.

If you are issued with an SD, the SAR would not have time to be effective, that (combined with the possibility of a normal court claim) is why on balance I would SAR Citi.

If they do issue an SD, you should be able to get it set aside as Crapbot have failed to produce an enforceable agreement.

There is also the issue of the two accounts, and what the amount Crapbot quote actually relates to. It looks from the letter as though they are just counting the card, and not the vaccuum cleaner part.

As I say, there is a good case to be made for either course of action. As it stands, the lack of any agreement gives you a defence against any court action. If you want to wait, then that is OK for now.

If you want to settle this with a full and final settlement, just be very careful to make sure that everything is included. You don't want to be paying a settlement on the card, and then have them coming back the next day with an inflated demand on the vaccuum cleaner.

SH

Thanks again SH,

I've been reading quite a lot of your posts and you have been very helpful to loads of other peeps. As it's this week i would have been sending my monthly debt payments, I may just use it to SAR Citi. Now that is a good use of my meagre income.

Oh poo! I can't tickle you today as I only did it yesterday:cry:

fox:D