Tip When Using A Lift

Mossycat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd heard this before but dismissed it as an urban myth, but today a few of us were bored so we tested it out and it works, so I'll post it here.

If the lift you are using has a door close button ( I stress a door CLOSE button and not a door open) if you keep your finger on that door close button the lift will NOT stop at any other floor en-route to the floor that you have pressed.

So if (like us), you work in a tall office block and you are running late and don't want to stop at every floor where people are waiting for the lift (OK let's be honest if you just want a bit of devilment) then keep your finger on the door close button and let them wait a bit longer.

Mossy

(I do NOT condone the use of this practice I post it merely for information purposes........HONEST)

I would reckon itll depend on the lift manufacturer....

Personally I'm scared of these things so wudnt wanna mess on with it!!! :D

Good tip though mate ;)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I'd heard this before but dismissed it as an urban myth, but today a few of us were bored so we tested it out and it works, so I'll post it here.

If the lift you are using has a door close button ( I stress a door CLOSE button and not a door open) if you keep your finger on that door close button the lift will NOT stop at any other floor en-route to the floor that you have pressed.

So if (like us), you work in a tall office block and you are running late and don't want to stop at every floor where people are waiting for the lift (OK let's be honest if you just want a bit of devilment) then keep your finger on the door close button and let them wait a bit longer.

Mossy

(I do NOT condone the use of this practice I post it merely for information purposes........HONEST)

So! It was YOU was it, Mossycat?? I stood for ages waiting for the b****y lift too!!! Swine!!!! :):(:):)

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

Mossy

Im a lift engineer and if this is the case this must have been specified by the building owner during the installation.

99% of lifts will not have this facility

Did he get a "rise" out of you? :D

Sorry couldnt resist!

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Did he get a "rise" out of you? :D

Sorry couldnt resist!

.....followed by that all too familiar "going down" feeling, I presume!!

Equally sorry, I couldn't resist either!

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!

Im a lift engineer and if this is the case this must have been specified by the building owner during the installation.

99% of lifts will not have this facility

To be honest I didn't believe it either but we really tested it out. 4 or 5 of my colleagues walked down to various floors, when the lift was on my floor, they all pressed the 'call button' and it stopped to pick them up. Once we reached ground floor we went back up dropping them off at various floors and when I was at the top I pressed 'door close' kept my finger on it and pressed 'Ground Floor'.

It went past the lot of them and didn't stop until it reached Ground Floor, I know for a fact they had pressed the call button because that was the whole idea of testing it out.

Incidentally for the first time ever, when I left to go home the lift never stopped at any floor below me despite it been a busy time. This I put down to pure coincidence and was in no way anything to do with me or my finger!!!!!!!

Mossy

Yes.

I want to know - if you are in a falling lift, and just before it hits the floor you jump up, would you get hurt?

Unfortunately, yes. If you get Discovery Channel, look out for the episode of Mythbusters where they put this to the test. (If you want the explanation, let me know)

Unfortunately, yes. If you get Discovery Channel, look out for the episode of Mythbusters where they put this to the test. (If you want the explanation, let me know)

To be honest, I thought it was a bit of a daft question having thought about it afterwards. forgot that little bit that, as the lift is falling at great speed - so are you!:eek:

Yep - although you are jumping relative to the lift upwards, you are NOT relative to the ground :)

Besides which - in most lifts, how would you know when you are about to hit the ground?

Haha :D