• Tweets

• The world's largest economy grew less than expected but rising inflation may delay a rate cut.View the full article
    • Hello, Following the submission of my defense, last night I received an email from DCBL indicating that the claimant intends to proceed with the claim (I've attached a screenshot of the email for reference) along with the N180 directions questionnaire. I'm unsure how they obtained my email, but I suspect it was through the courts' form when I completed the Acknowledgment of Service. This email almost slipped my attention. I have also today received a letter from court to state they have received my defense.  It appears they are requesting an online telephone hearing with the court. Could you please advise me on the necessary steps I should take at this point? Thank you for your assistance. Letter-Email 25-04-24.pdf N180 - Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track).pdf
    • Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
    • Sorry,  I'm not familiar with terminology.  Direction questionnaire is what I've seen online as next step. Witness statement: I haven't gone that far, that's why I put the question marks.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

New here!1st step in claiming back charges **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I have finally decided to claim back charges so I now need to get my past statements sent to me?How much does this cost?When I get them do I put down every charge on a spreadsheet?then send to to the bank?Do I send them to my main branch or to Leicester as I keep seeing? :-?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mumofthreeboys

Hi, well done for starting this, it's not as daunting as it seems - really :)

Have you read the FAQ's (send the DPA letter in the library - £10 max). All is explained in the FAQ's.

Good luck, not that you'll need it xxxx

Hi there,

I have finally decided to claim back charges so I now need to get my past statements sent to me?How much does this cost?When I get them do I put down every charge on a spreadsheet?then send to to the bank?Do I send them to my main branch or to Leicester as I keep seeing? :-?

It is entirely up to you, whichever address you send it to it will get to the right place I sent mine to:

Barclays Bank PLC

Head Office Customer Relations

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

and got them back quite quickly, but your branch or the Leicester address are equally good.

Good luck

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Recorded delivery is safest, but give them a few days then ring to check that they've received your request.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi,

I have received my 6 years worth of statements with my £10 cheque returned as they say its free of charge. Now comes the hard part, I am dreading sorting this out!! Do I just note when the charge was and how much for? On a spreadsheet? Then send it with the letter and they do the rest? Thanks

Guest Mumofthreeboys
Hi,

I have received my 6 years worth of statements with my £10 cheque returned as they say its free of charge. Now comes the hard part, I am dreading sorting this out!! Do I just note when the charge was and how much for? On a spreadsheet? Then send it with the letter and they do the rest? Thanks

Yes, get a highlighter and go through your statements. Then get Vamps spreadsheet from the library section and input your data and hey presto, it's all worked out for you. Read the FAQ's and a lot of other peoples threads and when you have a very good understanding of what to do, then move on to the next stage. Simple :D

Hi

Can anyone please help me, i honestly dont know where to start and am even struggling to use this website!

I am with Natwest and only have my charges on record since March '06' which i have already totalled to be over £400!

Please can anyone help me with what i need to so first and who i need to write to? and what i even say!??

HELP! PLEASE!?

I too am about to start down this road. I have no idea of the charges i have paid over the years. let me get it right first thng to do is to fill in and print of a request for my past 6 yrs statements highlight ALL charges and put on to spread sheet i can find on this sight. Which one do i use basic or advanced. Do i need to download them straight on to excel?? and what do i send the finished spreadsheet off with i mean which letter from this sight?? i have also sent of for the small claims info thing anyone know is it any help??

Guest Mumofthreeboys
I too am about to start down this road. I have no idea of the charges i have paid over the years. let me get it right first thng to do is to fill in and print of a request for my past 6 yrs statements highlight ALL charges and put on to spread sheet i can find on this sight. Which one do i use basic or advanced. Do i need to download them straight on to excel?? and what do i send the finished spreadsheet off with i mean which letter from this sight?? i have also sent of for the small claims info thing anyone know is it any help??

First of all breath and calm down dear :)

I suggest you start off with the FAQ's in red on the front page of this site - all will become clear, but you have to have a really good read of that and other peoples threads, OK?

MOTB xxx

Thanks for the advice. I have briefly read the FAQs it all seems very confussing would be soo much easier if someone could just lay it all out in point form i.e

Also should i claim chrges from account first then credit card or do u do both together??? thanks for all your help

Guest Mumofthreeboys
Thanks for the advice. I have briefly read the FAQs it all seems very confussing would be soo much easier if someone could just lay it all out in point form i.e

Also should i claim chrges from account first then credit card or do u do both together??? thanks for all your help

It is all laid out for you if you read the step by step instructions and the FAQ's in more detail and take a couple of days to digest it won't be so confusing:)

You should start with one until you know what you're doing.

Someone has hijacked my thread!!! :p Cheek of it!!!! :eek:

I have gone through my statements and have marked the paid referrals, unauthorised overdraft fees but can I claim for any interest I have been charged ? (between 50p and £3.00 at a time but it all adds up!)

Also which is the best spreadsheet to use? I'm thinking the simple Works one as I'm no good at this. Last thing...if you don't add the 8% interest unless the matter goes to Court why does the spreadsheet have it in the example?

(You do send this spreadsheet with the charges on to the bank don't you? but you just miss the 8% interest column out?) Sorry, a bit confused!

There are 2 instances of interest you can claim:

1.When you go overdrawn the bank will charge you interest, perfectly lawfully.

However, if part of your overdraft is made up of penalty fees, they are also charging you interest on these too and it is this interest which you are entitled to claim back, but it's tricky to separate out from the total interest figure.

Vampiress has a spreadsheet, (the advanced one), in the bank templates library, which attempts to calculate this

It's quite complex and unless your claim is large may not amount to that much, so for simplicity's sake, some people don't bother

This is the interest referred to in the preliminary and LBA letters.

2. Section 69 8% interest on your claim, but only when you submit a claim at court. Don't add this interest before moneyclaim

Yes the simple spreadsheet with the last 2 columns deleted (8% bits) becomes your schedule of charges

• 2 weeks later...

Sent off Letter before Action on Monay so now I've got to wait 14 days haven't I? it make me laugh, my husband and I went to the bank (not about claiming back charges) and mentioned about the charges in general (didn't let on I was doing it) and she said " Oh, I only heard of one person who took the bank to court and won!" yeah right.:mad:

Hello I'm in the middle of going through this process. They have just offered me not even half what they have charged me, this is as a good will gesture they say as they have done nothing wrong. So i think i'll be sending another letter for the rest of my money. Good look and it does take a while i'll keep an update of my progress.

I have today received a letter back from Barclays saying " we are sorry that you have had to contact us about the level of service you have received from us. We are looking into your concerns and will let you have an answer or update asap but no later that 12 sept. In the meantime if you wish to discuss this matter further please call us on ......................"

I'm not going to call them because I'd rather keep everything on letter and also I will forget exactly what I've said the them!

I found the letter a bit strange coz it doesn't specifically say what my letter was about i.e. bank charges (the level of service you have received from us) oh well at least they've acknowledged it, I'll wait until 12 sept.

You posted your LBA on 17th August. That gives them 14days to respond positively before you take Court Action.

Don't wait for them you should start Court action 1st September

They are just playing for time. Don't give them any , it will take long enough to get your money.

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I set back a letter saying I did not accept the £425 they offered me in full and final settlement (sum is £1,050) and I have received this today...

I am sorry you remain unhappy and note that whilst you are accepting the amount offered (I'm not?) you will be seeking the balance through the county court. I confirm our offer, was in full anf final settlement. As such I am unwilling to pay you the sum of £425 as an interim measure. I acknowledge that you require you claim to be settled in full. After careful consideration I regret that I am not able to increase our offer.

If you do not wish to accept our offer it would appear we are unable to reach a mutually acceptable resolution.

What is the next step now?