• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Mint Card Behaving Badly!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4269 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

Been busy trying to sort out my NatWest & Halifax accounts. In the meantime I have received the following 3 letters from Mint.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/thereisanotherway/mint1.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/thereisanotherway/mint2.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/thereisanotherway/mint3.jpg

Delayed action as I wrongly thought it was due to their claim that last month's payment was late (when it should have been received on time), but have now received monthly statement.

I have since CCA'd them (13th), but taken no further action or made a payment - any suggestions?

My predicament is that if I manage to scrape together the funds to pay the over limit amount(ola) - I won't then be able to pay the minimum monthly payment(mmp) on the statement (due 28th), so then late fee and over limit fee will be applied and balance will rise.

Even if I pay the mmp on time! (instead of ola), I will still get charged overlimit fee and the balance will still rise. A lose, lose & costly situation.

Also they imply that even if the account is brought back within the agreed limit - they will decide whether or not to issue another card, I guess they won't so what's the point?

One more question - letter 2 keeps mentioning 'default' sums - does this mean the account is in default?

Thanks for listening!

Edited by thereisanotherway
missed a question!

This is one of those situations where if they had half a brain cell they would be prepared to negotiate with the customer and straighten the problem out.

The trouble is, this is the world that is, and not the one which should be.

I would write to them asking them to suspend all charges and penalties and offer to work out a repayment schedule that you can manage.

I wouldn't pay them anything until I had received a written reply to this.

If they lived in the real world, they would help you get the balance down below the limit so that they could keep earning high interest on the account. In the la-la land that these clowns seem to live in, where there are never any people who are having a short term cash flow problem, but only thieves who steal their money and simply won't pay it back, they are far more likely to throw the toys out of the pram and start crying.

Until you know what they are going to do, you can't really make any long term moves. For now, ask them to consider a sensible proposal to get the account back in order, and see if miracles do still happen in the 21st century.

While they are considering this, the clock is ticking on the CCA. Again, don't worry about that until the results come in.

SH

All opinions of ScabHunter are offered in good faith and believed to be accurate and true. Please note, though, that I have no legal training and am human like the rest of us (except the DCA trolls).

If you have received court papers, PLEASE POST EARLY. We can help, but only if we are within the timescales.

I am happy to receive PMs (and friendship requests!), but if you want me to look at your thread please leave a link to it.

If I have been helpful, please feel free to click the old scales!

LIGHT RELIEF - SCABHUNTER STYLE

A reply to a DCA troll with a limited vocabulary

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/131409-cheekiness-towards-dca-199.html#post1840093

A template letter accepting a full and final settlement

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/104668-cabot-windywoo-4.html#post1813490

A reply to ARE letter dated 13th November 20088

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/172657-mbna-letter-asking-me.html#post1863523

A reply to a naughty DCA suggesting that the alleged debtor was ignoring the poor dears, and promising a nice social visit

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/167422-help-needed-re-letters-3.html#post1850119

If you've sent them a CCA request then I certainly wouldn't sign the letter. They could just as easily misuse a signature on that one as they could one on the CCA letter.

Just to let you know also that there is an alternative to the template CCA letter which may be better, although it sounds as though you've sent it already.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/138991-disabled-scared-owe-20k-2.html#post1478182

Whichever you send should be good enough.

SH

All opinions of ScabHunter are offered in good faith and believed to be accurate and true. Please note, though, that I have no legal training and am human like the rest of us (except the DCA trolls).

If you have received court papers, PLEASE POST EARLY. We can help, but only if we are within the timescales.

I am happy to receive PMs (and friendship requests!), but if you want me to look at your thread please leave a link to it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/131409-cheekiness-towards-dca-199.html#post1840093

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/104668-cabot-windywoo-4.html#post1813490

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/172657-mbna-letter-asking-me.html#post1863523

A reply to a naughty DCA suggesting that the alleged debtor was ignoring the poor dears, and promising a nice social visit

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/167422-help-needed-re-letters-3.html#post1850119

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Received a letter from Mint today (31st - dated 25th). It is unclear whether it refers to my CCA request or suspension of charges etc.....

"The letter was not signed and a result I am unable to undertake the action requested.

Please sign the letter in the space provided........."

This has been received 1 day outside the 12+2 for the CCA request, how should I respond? With a failure to comply with CCA letter, or to confirm they don't need my signature?

Thanks

Unbelievable.

A blatant phishing exercise which begs the question of what they intended to do with the signature.

Ignore this pathetic attempt at subterfuge.

Now that the limit for compliance with the CCA request has been reached, send them this -

Account In Dispute

Ref:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which have been noted.

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. A copy of which is enclosed for your perusal and ease of reference.

You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account entered default on **DATE**.(12+2 days after you sent the CCA request)

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore

You are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation.

This limit has expired

As you are no doubt aware section 77(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)

(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

As you have Failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect.

This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies.

Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data.

It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’; You must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends.

Should you not respond within 14 days I expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY

Action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

* You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.

* You may not pass the account to a third party.

* You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.

* You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

SH

• Haha 1

Dear Sirs,

RE Account NO XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/2008 the contents of which are noted.

In your letter you make reference to requiring my signed authorisation /specimen signature** before you comply. I draw your attention to the fact that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 does not require that i supply you a copy of my signature before you comply with my S77/78** request.

If it is for Data Protection purposes then i can happily supply you with documentation to substantiate my identity to you.

However please note that to date you have happily sent statements and correspondence containing extensive sensitive private information to my address. I have to ask if you are concerned that you are corresponding with the correct person why has it taken so long to raise this?

As you are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998:

7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

My request for a true copy of my credit agreement under section 77/78** was made on xx/xx/2008 and the 12 working days for your compliance expire on xx/xx/2008. I note that there is no provision that removes the requirements of the act to provide this information on time, even if you are unsure of my identity.

I look forward to receiving the documentation requested

Yours faithfully

Print dont Sign

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 4 weeks later...

Just received a reply from Mint - their letter quotes the date of my CCA request from October not the letter just sent copied from post#7 (and so ignores all other points raised there).

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/thereisanotherway/mintletter.jpg

They have sent what appears to be a copy of the application form

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/thereisanotherway/mintapp.jpg

- I guess the first line gives it away "Please complete your application form by answering...";)

Is this enforceable? What is my next step? Still being charged interest etc.

Thanks

It's not enforceable. It has no prescribed terms:

The agreement must contain certain Prescribed terms under regulations made by the Secretary of State under section 60(1) CCA 1974, the regulations referred to are the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553).

The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following:-

1. Number of repayments;

2. Amount of repayments;

3. Frequency and timing of repayments;

4. Dates of repayments; and

5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable

Hi,

Thanks for taking the trouble to look at this for me - sorry to be a pain, but is that what this other sheet is? it doesn't have any print codes etc. (unlike document already scanned in) so can't tell if it is what was supposed to be on the back!)

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/thereisanotherway/mintapp2.jpg

Is this bad news?

Not sure if relevant, but RBS haven't signed it anywhere - and the address section was in my girlfriend's name.

Thanks again

Its useless. The prescribed terms MUST be included within the 4 corners of the agreement. What they have sent doesnt even contain the prescribed terms.

Not good enough Mint, back to the drawing board.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesing to know, for a start, whether or not the default notice was valid. Could you post it up, taking care to cover up anything which could identify you personally?

SH

• 2 months later...

Latest news from Mint - http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/thereisanotherway/MintResponse.jpg

I'm a little confused as to what this actually means......it seems that if I make an offer, using a budget planner, they are going to file a default notice with the CRA's.

Where does this leave me? The documents sent so far have been deemed unenforceable. The balance is still rising!

Basically they are saying,

we havenlt provided a valid cca but still want you to pay the balance and anything extra we add and we will default you on this anyway.

How do you want to play this?

keep with no cca and not make payments, are you woarried about your credit file for next 6 years? sometimes it's a long road to try and get default removed etc without taking them all the way which may make them look harder for cca

or

go for any unlawful charges and try to get them to freeze it and accept a payment plan?

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi Ida,

Not too worried about credit file, so will hold off on payment until they can produce a valid cca.

They are getting pretty sh***y though - another letter landed, saying they see no reason to enter further correspondence about alleged cca breached 'you lay at our door'. they don't consider thee account to be in dispute or void and will be pursuing for full repayment.

Their claim is that they have supplied me with 'a copy of the credit agreement that you agreed to upon receipt of your credit card and signed it' whereas what they actually supplied was a single-sided application form - I have asked them for clarity that this was a true representation, but they seem to have ignored this.

Any suggestions?

thanks TIAW

Have you sent:

Dear Sirs,

Account no xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: my request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Thank you for your recent letter sent to me, the contents of which are noted. I appreciate your quick response to my original letter. However, the reply received by me does not fulfil your requirements under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The Act demands that I be supplied with a true copy of any properly executed credit agreement that exists in relation to the above account. I may ask for this on demand providing that a fee of £1.00 is paid. This fee was sent with my original letter.

My request remains outstanding. An application form with no prescribed terms on it, like the one you sent in your reply, does not constitute a true copy of any credit agreement that may or may not have been signed by me on the opening of this account. An application form neither confirms that I am liable for any alleged debt to you, nor gives me any chance to evaluate whether any original agreement was ‘properly executed’.

I still require you to send me a true copy of the original credit agreement that you allege exists. As you will know, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, a judge is not permitted to make any enforcement order unless the creditor can provide a true signed copy of the original credit agreement. This means that unless you can produce such an agreement, this alleged debt is not enforceable in law.

You had until xx/xx.2008 (12+2 working days after the request was made) to provide me with the true copy I requested. You are now in default of my request. Any account I hold with you is now in legal dispute. Whilst the account remains in dispute, you are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, you are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, you are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agency.

To register information with a credit reference agency, you must have written consent from the customer to collate and share such information. This consent is given in the form of a signed credit agreement, so until you produce such an agreement, you may not do this.

The requirement for consent to share data is a clear requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998. any such attempts to share my data without my consent will be met with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office

The time limits, which are laid down in the Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983 are clear. You must supply an executed credit agreement within 12 + 2 working days of a proper CCA request. If you fail to comply with a legitimate request the account enters a default situation.

To sum up, I will not be making any further payments to you until you provide me with the document I have requested. Whilst you remain in default of my request, you are not permitted to take any action against this account. This includes adding further charges and passing any information to the credit reference agencies.

I expect you to write to me with a copy of your compaints procedures and a letter confirming that the account has been closed and no further action will be taken.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Added is that you want a copy of their compaints procedure as you should exhaust their methods before making compaints outwih

Ida x