BankFodder BankFodder

path_finder

B&Q kitchen installation problem

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3955 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

Hope someone can help with some advise as to where I can go now as I'm at my wits end. sorry if this is a bit long winded, but there is a lot to tell

I purchased a new kitchen from B&Q in April this year, the designer came out to the house and planed my wifes dream kitchen.

I was at work during most of the design stage and only came in as he was giving the price.

I mentioned to the designer that 2 of the walls were uneven and would need plastering before any units were hung, and requested a price for this and also to tile the walls. He gave the price and we agreed to it.

He said that he would do the full job for £7000.

When we went into the store to pay, the assistant said she had to call a clearing bank as we were paying by cheque. When she called them, she gave the wrong name so they wanted to carry out a credit check in case the cheque bounced, I tried to explain this but they were adamant that they needed to do the check so I refused. That was the first issue.

2 weeks before the installation was due we recieved a phone call to say that the diswasher and sink that we had chosen were out of stock, and so as to get the job done on time, would we choose adifferent one, to which we did.

When the ''dedicated'' installation team arrived, they consisted of 2 scruffy lads who didn't seem to know what they were suposed to do until they called their boss.

I left them to start work and went to work myself.

On arriving home I realised that no plastering had been carried out before the wall unit was put up, leaving a gap of about 1/2 an inch at the bottom. Not a great deal you might think, but this looks terrible. Where they needed to fit blanking panels where the units didn't reach the wall, they seemed to have cut them around the rough finsh of the wall where old tiles had been removed. Had they of plastered as requested this would not have been a problem. When i asked them about this I was told that it was'nt on the job sheet. The job sheet that I was never shown I might add!

They also didn't have the ''soft close'' fittings for the cupboard doors which I had to purchase seperatley.

The tiler who was apparently the forman has made a terrible job of the finish so i refused to sign off the job.

He then decided to call nme at 9 o'clock at night demanding that I sign.

I sent a letter of complaint and was offered an insulting £384 in compensation for my expences ( the cost of the additional fittings and extra work that my decorator had to do )

I refused the offer and asked to speak to this persons manager, 2 weeks later I had not recieved a call so I called the customer services only to be told that my complaint had been closed when I refused the offer of compensation.

They got the person who I had been dealing with to call me back, I asked him why he had closed my complaint, which he denied doing. He aslo said that it wasn't a complain but a warrenty issue.

This is quite an abridged version of all of the events that have taken place, but what i'm after is half the installation fee refunded, about £2000.

Am I asking for too much?

Where do I go from here?

Any help would be appriciated.

Path_finder

I think a letter, by recorded delivery, set out all the events in detail is now needed. Clearly mark it 'Complaint'. At the end, set out exactly what you want them to do to put matters right. Give them 14 days to respond.

If they call you, insist that they put everything in writing so that you've got a paper trail should this eventually end up in court.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

B&Q is part o Kingfisher PLC

Contact us

Peter Jackson - Chairman

Ian Cheshire -Group Finance Director

Kevin O'Byrne - Group Finance Director

Kingfisher plc

3 Sheldon Square

Paddington

London

W2 6PX

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7372 8008

Fax: +44 (0) 20 7644 1001