CIFAS warning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4287 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI guys - need a little advice.

Basic story

Last October I was in the market for a new laptop, once I had decided upon make/model I looked around for the cheapest deal. This happened to be with Savastores (a branch of watford electronics) and they happened to also be offering 9 months interest free credit with a five minute decission. Well I didn't need the credit but not one to turn my nose at sticking the money in a high interest account and earning a free £40-50 thought I may as well apply (even though I believed my credit rating wasn't amazing). Anyway I didn't get a response in 5 mins - more like 5 days saying they couldn't do it and that was that. A few days later I decided tyo take expirian and equifax up on their generous free month trial and lo and behold I find the credit company had lodged a CIFAs warning on my account.

I contacted them and they said whilst I had given correct information that I had witheld addresses where I had 'bad things' on my record.

Whilst filling out the form it asked me of my last four years of addresses - but having been a student I just put my permanant address that I had been living at for over 20 years. One of the addresses they quoted was from 5 years ago - so not even in the four year requested period. Now I know all the addresses would show up on any credit report as my bank and mobile phone has been the same for longer than that and listed at all addresses and so wasn't hiding anything and the only really bad thing on my credit ref (missed few payments on something and got passed onto debt rec agency) was at my full time 20+year address and I thought if anything would screw my chances for credit that was it.

Anyway have disputed this with them and they won't budge, have asked for a final resolution/deadlock type letter so I can go to the CIFAs agency direct and no reply - any advice/next step?

This isn't helpful advice, first off, I apologise for raising your hopes!

I'm in a similar boat. A couple of years back I aplied for an Orange contract. I used my parents' address as it is the one I'd been using for my bank, phone, and all other official addresses. I recall that the application was declined.

I subsequently applied using my Uni address. At the time I was thinking that my application stood a better chance because I was pretty sure that I was on the electoral roll at my Uni address.

Orange placed a number of CIFAS entries on my credit file. They alledge application fraud.

Technically I can't say these are wholly inaccurate because I did make two applications with different details. They say I had to declare all the properties I had a credit-related connection to, but a) I wasn't aware of this and b) My uni address I used only because I though I was on the electoral roll there, I didn't have a credit-tie to that address at all.

Anyone got any thoughts? It wasn't fraud (in my eyes at least) because I wasn't attempting to deceive them, I was just pandering to the fact I beleived they required my electoral roll address.

Similar situation,

My brother applied for a mortgage and had to ex-aggerate him income slightly.

Mortgage company consulted inland revenue and found out. Now we all in my family at same address have cifas warnings. They seem really bad, worse than defaults etc.

As far as i know they stay on file for a year or so.

they stay for six years - that why I'm ****ed off as I didn't lie told them where I had been living for over 20 years

and the real bitter pill - I was on the verge of buying it without the finance anyway (which I did the day after finance was turned down)

Your easiest course of action is to add a Notice of Correction to your Credit File explaining in under 200 words your situation.

You DO NOT need to ask for your credit file first (Saving £2).

Here's a link explaining what's required. You don't have to fill in this form, just write to the 3 CRAs, supplying all the details (apart from your credit file number).

They will confirm in writing the NOC has been added within 28 days.

https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/showNoticeOfCorrection.ehtml

Hope this helsp.

You can get the addresses of the other 3 CRA's here:

FSA - Consumer Information - Credit & Debt

Hope this helps

I contacted either equifax or expirian about this and as its not a default or missed payment or anything like that they can't do anything about it apparently.

Thing is if they'd phoned me and asked me did I live here there or anywhere I would have told them - btw it was Hitatchi finance if anyone has had any experiance

I contacted either equifax or expirian about this and as its not a default or missed payment or anything like that they can't do anything about it apparently.

All the more reason or using the Notice of Correction facility to put your side of the story. This has little to do with the Equifax, Experan or Call Credit.

What it does do is convey the correct information, why there is a CIFAS mark on your file to any organisation accessing your file - for whatever reason.

If you are not satisfied with the response of the CIFAS Member, write to them and request they issue a Final Response letter. This confirms that the Member's complaints procedure has been exhausted.

Can I suggest you find out the name of the Head of Customers Services, and send them a recorded delivery letter, requesting a Final Response.

I checked into cifas warnings and it seems they can only stay on credit file for 13months, but need to double check.

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

Length of Time a CIFAS Warning Remains on File:

The time a CIFAS warning remains on the CIFAS database depends on how long the fraudulent activity continues. Members are able to extend the time a warning is placed against an address to protect the address from fraud. In all cases, the warning remains on the database for at least a year from the date of the most recent fraud.

CIFAS Online - Frequently Asked Questions

Note: Readers notice that it is to protect the address from fraud and CIFAS members.

Length of Time a CIFAS Warning Remains on File:

The time a CIFAS warning remains on the CIFAS database depends on how long the fraudulent activity continues. Members are able to extend the time a warning is placed against an address to protect the address from fraud. In all cases, the warning remains on the database for at least a year from the date of the most recent fraud.

CIFAS Online - Frequently Asked Questions

Note: Readers notice that it is to protect the address from fraud and CIFAS members.

That impies that it's a year unless you do it again, but that doesn't appear to be the case - mine's been there for over a year now, and I sure ain't been applying to Orange contracts since!

It says on your credit record who placed the CIFAS warning.

You couldn't just request from CIFAS who their members are as that would be a breach of the DPA, however you could request from them who put it ojn your account, but as already pointed out to know you have on eyou have to have seen your credit record and then you would know anyway

Find the company that put cifas on your file then send a sarn letter. They will have to disclose why they suspect fraud, what databases they checked ie mcl hunter,equifax,experian etc etc

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

I just sent

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been in contact with your company on several occasions to try settle the matter of events surrounding my application for credit on or around September 16th 2005.

I applied for credit from Savastores for a laptop, the credit for which was to be arranged through V12 finance which I now know to be a partner company of yours. During the application process Hitachi Capital lodged a CIFAS warning on my credit record.

I believe this addition to my credit file is inaccurate.

I have discussed this matter with members of your staff but to no avail and as such I requested a final resolution letter so that I could bring the matter before CIFAS themselves. I have now requested this letter three times, twice via email and once by post.

I am requesting this letter again and give you 10 days to produce it. If I have not received the letter by this point I feel I will have no option but to report you to both CIFAS and the financial ombudsman and seek compensation for damages due to improper placing of a CIFAS warning on my credit record.

Yours faithfully,

To their head of finance today via special delivery so they can't deny receiving it

The CIFAS warnings stay on your account a year since the last activity that caused the warning to be put on, i myself had some and after the year i contacted experian who removed them for me.