MBNA - Where do I start?

Filtered
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Have an Abbey/MBNA card, outstnading balance £15800, have been making minimum payment monthly for 2 years. My circumstances have changed dramatically, lost business and income has been halved.

I am in arrears with MBNA for 1 month, I called them to say that I can't pay the minimum and will be contacting them to discuss in writing. They then told me that the interest was now 34%!!

How do I go about dealing with this? Not sure where to start with regards to communicating with them.

Have seen various letter templates to ask for 'no action for 28 days' etc but not sure what I should do first

please help:(

Hi All

Have an Abbey/MBNA card, outstnading balance £15800, have been making minimum payment monthly for 2 years. My circumstances have changed dramatically, lost business and income has been halved.

I am in arrears with MBNA for 1 month, I called them to say that I can't pay the minimum and will be contacting them to discuss in writing. They then told me that the interest was now 34%!!

How do I go about dealing with this? Not sure where to start with regards to communicating with them.

Have seen various letter templates to ask for 'no action for 28 days' etc but not sure what I should do first

please help:(

Hi Filtered. I'm just about to log off but did not want to go without saying 'hi'. I'm assuming you won't have much in the way of charges if you have been making payments.

You can certainly write to try to negotiate lower figures and request they stop interest.

You could write to ask for a copy of your credit agreement. If they do not provide an enforceable one, they have no right to enforce the debt. This leaves the ball in your court with regards to how and when you pay.

Post up any questions / thoughts and i will look at your thread again tomorrow evening. Hopefully others will be along to look before then.

In the meantime keep reading around other threads, it's amazing what you pick up. Have a look for Lexis' thread, she's trying to negotiate lower payments for her hubby, so slightly similiar to your situation.

Try not to worry, we will support you as much as we can :)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

There's some letter templates here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/

and here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

Thought it might be useful for you to see some of what's around ;)

Thanks Hopeful1

You're more than welcome,, i'll catch up with your thread tomorrow.

Take care ;)

I'm in a similar situation- minimum payments I can just about afford but the balance never changes. Not sure they've put you on 34% as you've paid late- I've never paid late or missed a payment and they put me on 34% a few months ago, so don't feel persucuted- its happened to most of us!

You'll find a lot of very friendly and helpful people on here, so have a good read and get the CCA request sent, as I did last week.

Hope this helps.

Hi Filtered just popped in to see how you're getting on with all the reading!! ;)

Hi Guys

Only just got back in from work. Thanks for the support. I think I'm goin to send a letter asking them to lay off for 29 days as I'm taking advise on my finances. Is this the right 'first action' to take?

Hi Filt

From what I have read in this forum, I have my serious doubts that MBNA will be as reasonable as that.

Can I suggest you CCA them at the same time. If you find that their Agreement with you is unenforceable it will give you extra clout and put you in a better position to bargain with them.

Also, once the deadline for them to respond to your CCA request is near due (11th day say), send them a S.A.R. request and include a request for a copy of the Agreement again. Don't mention that you sent out an earlier CCA. The reason for this is that they are known to falsify Agreements, and some people on this forum have received 2 different versions of the Agreement. A judge is unlikey to be impressed if you end up in court.

I am still picking this up as I go along, so if anyone else reads this, please correct any errors I may have made.

Watching with interest.

Hi Guys

Only just got back in from work. Thanks for the support. I think I'm goin to send a letter asking them to lay off for 29 days as I'm taking advise on my finances. Is this the right 'first action' to take?

Hi Filtered :)

You have to choose the option that suits you. If you wish to negotiate lower payments, then you should do so. Keep everything in writing and do not sign anything. Try to make the payment you are offering directly into your credit card account. If they allow the payment to stay in your account, they are as good as accepting it, no matter what they say in writing.

As Ouch has said there is the possibility that MBNA will not play ball. If this is the case then it may be worth sending a CCA request. How old is your account?

If they cannot provide an enforceable agreement, again as Ouch has said, you will be in a better position to negotiate. This is because by law, they are not entitled to chase you for payments without an enforceable agreement. Photoshopping seems to occur with some people, which is why it is wise not to sign any docs. I always just type my name.

Subject access requests are usually sent when people wish to reclaim charges or to look for specific pieces of information. A request for a credit agreement can also be made within that. I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment.

Important bits to remember:

Do not discuss anything on the 'phone.

Keep copies of all correspondence.

Send everything recorded / special delivery - although i use proof of delivery now for my letters (rec. for CCA requests).

Keep all receipts.

Postal orders are best for making payments of any kind via the post eg the £1 for the CCA request.

Just sitting down to write & send an initial letter to MBNA. Looking through all my credit card statements....the number of my account with them seems to have changed at least once since I got the card back in April 2005. Is this normal?

Just sitting down to write & send an initial letter to MBNA. Looking through all my credit card statements....the number of my account with them seems to have changed at least once since I got the card back in April 2005. Is this normal?

Have you had the card re-issued since opening the account?

That will account for the change in number i should imagine.

Don't suppose they sent you a new credit agreement to sign with the new card? ;)

Can i just ask - when did you 1st apply for the card? Was it an online application?

over the phone back in 2005. not sure if i signed anything or not

It sounds unlikely they have an agreement. If they do not respond reasonably to your reduced payments request / offer, i wouldn't waste any time in sending a CCA request. Let us know how you get on.

Don't sign anything just in case, or if you do, use a completely different signature that you could identify immediately as being incorrect....just in case ;)

i have used the letter template off national debt website. short and to the point. i dont go into the whys and wheres. just - seeking advice, please hold action, interest and charges for 28 days.

do you think i should say anything else?

The ND website is a good resource, so i'm sure the letter will be fine.

This address is from their website for general queries:

MBNA Europe Bank Limited

P.O. Box 1004

Chester Business Park

Wrexham Road

Chester

CH4 9WW

Obviously i don't know the source of the address you've posted so i'm not saying it's incorrect :D

Getting tired of the 8.30am daily calls!! Told the rather abrupt lady on the phone that I was communicating in writing with MBNA, she said that they (RMA) were now dealing with it, I asked for a correspondence address so that I could write to them as well. She responded by telling me that she would update my records to say that 'the customer was too tired to bother discussing his account' !! I said I would be writing to request 'no more calls' - she said that they (RMA) wouldn't be wasting any more time by writing to me.

Does anyone know who these RMA people are? Or a correspondence address? Maybe I should ignore them & just write to MBNA again and also request CCA?

Getting tired of the 8.30am daily calls!! Told the rather abrupt lady on the phone that I was communicating in writing with MBNA, she said that they (RMA) were now dealing with it, I asked for a correspondence address so that I could write to them as well. She responded by telling me that she would update my records to say that 'the customer was too tired to bother discussing his account' !! I said I would be writing to request 'no more calls' - she said that they (RMA) wouldn't be wasting any more time by writing to me.

Does anyone know who these RMA people are? Or a correspondence address? Maybe I should ignore them & just write to MBNA again and also request CCA?

Their attitude is so disgusting.

Just in case you haven't seen this template:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/131250-dca-creditor-harassment-telephone.html#post1379437

If i were, you i would also make a formal complaint about her 'telephone manner'. My motto is to keep on the backs of these people as they seem to think they can talk to people however they want to. I would start blowing a whistle down the 'phone or something if they keep ringing :grin:

If you're with BT i think there's a service called 'choose to refuse'.

I actually changed my number when i swapped services. I cannot tell how fab it is knowing it will only be friends or family when my 'phone rings.

Keep a log of calls and take their names if you do answer any more. The info may be useful for a complaint to them and Trading Standards further down the line.

You end up always being one step ahead, constantly gathering evidence against them :rolleyes: