Identity Theft Liabilities

uk_geezer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5646 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please excuse if this is in the wrong forum; I couldn't find one that was exactly right, but this one seemed the closest.

I received my new credit card toady as the old one was about to expire, and I rang them up to activate the card, whereupon a woman tried her hardest to sell me various add on packages, including one for identity theft.

She asked me what I knew about identity theft, to which I told her I'd seen it on TV and read about it in papers, where people go through your bins for paperwork, and open accounts/credit cards/loans in your name etc.

She told me that if that happened to me I would be financially liable, and should purchase the identity theft package that would give me access to free legal cover to "clear my name".

I declined her offer, but what I would like to know is:~

if someone IS the victim of identity theft, what financial liability (if any) is there on the VICTIM to pay for any loans/credit etc used by the FRAUDSTER?

Assuming the bank/lender is unable to identify/find the fraudster, should it not then be the bank/lender who is financially liable for irresponsible lending?

Has any VICTIM actually been successfully held liable by a bank/lender for the activities of a FRAUDSTER?

I wonder how many other people suffer from this over zealous sales pitch.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Yes they have been held liable but insurance won't save you.

If you are unable to prove ID theft the insurance will be invalid & if you can then the lender will refund you anyway. The only thing the 'insurance' will be offering is to do the paperwork when submitting your claim