faulty samsung tv can i claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4593 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all...first post on this wonderful site.

I have a samsung LE40N73BD 40inch LCD tv which is nearly 2 years old and cost me £1200 plus delivery from currys online.

As from this morning it will not switch on.Tried new mains lead but not even a light on the front.

The TV has always been connected via a good quality surge protector as well.

On reading a few threads about Sale of Goods act I assume I can claim for a repair or replacement/Refund.

If I can do this, what are the things I have to do to start the process and how long does the process take.

Many thanks.:)

Hi Tony & welcome:grin:

Yes, write to Currys (email through the website poss).

Tell them it's not working & ask their procedure for getting it repaired or replaced.

Then take it from there depending on their reply.Maybe best not to go in all-guns-blazing quoting SOGA on first contact.

thanks for that will email them.are there any template letters that i could use as im not the best at writing letters.

Having a bad week..my tumble dryer failed last week and my 22 year old gas water boiler wont give me any hot water today.

Going now to borrow a 12" tv from my mums.(and some binoculars I think)

how do i email through website?

[email protected] Just found this on there:

Faulty goods

The following are guidelines for all goods ordered for delivery. For Reserve & Collect items, please see in-store Terms and Conditions and your receipt wallet.

Wherever possible we will respond to your individual circumstances.

If there is a fault with your product within the applicable product guarantee period (normally 12 months from delivery) or other defect with your order, we will normally offer a prompt repair service. You will always have the option of an exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 28 days of delivery. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault.

To qualify for a refund or exchange the product must be:

- in otherwise 'as new' condition

- complete with any accessories and free gifts offered with it

if possible, with the original box and packaging

If a pre-recorded videotape, DVD, CD, minidisc or other software is faulty under guarantee we will happily exchange it for the same title or offer a refund.

You can either return the product to a Currys store or phone Aftersales on 0844 561 1234 to arrange a collection. Aftersales is open from 9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday. Any refund due to a fault or other defect will include a refund of the applicable delivery charge. In these cases, we will also pay for our costs of collecting goods if they are not taken into a store. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery only. Premium services are not available. If a fault occurs while you are abroad, please contact us after you return to the UK.

This promise does not cover faults caused by accident, neglect, misuse or normal wear and tear. Consumable items, such as non-rechargeable batteries, camera films and ink cartridges are covered by guarantee for 3 months after delivery.

THIS RETURNS POLICY DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. DETAILS OF YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU OR CONSUMER DIRECT.

When they start to wriggle about "12 months" then you can quote Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended).

• 3 weeks later...
ok....sent a polite email asking them to repair tv free of charge 4 days ago(monday).They havn't even replied.

What do i do now .

I'd wait a little longer for a reply. No-one's going to reply until they have a solution. Four days is pretty unrealistic for a reply, where as ten is probably fairer.

• 2 weeks later...

You'd probably be a million times better off going into a store and actualy talking to someone about your issue.

I'm fully expecting people to respond with "he shouldn't have to *insert legal jargon here*". But e-mails, and phone calls are no replacement for a good face to face chat with someone who has the power to get the ball rolling.

Although they will try to tell you, your out of your 12 month manufactorers warantee, just let them know your making a claim under the sale of goods act, as your product is not sufficantly durable. Although in my opinion I think that the manufactorer should be held responsible for issues arising from their item not being durable enough, anyone would think currys made samsung tv's. But anyway thats outside the scope of this topic.

• 1 year later...

Ok

I know this post was a while ago but I have been having the same problems with my Samsung LCD flat screen TV recently where it won't switch on and appears to "click".

This is a problem with the power supply and capacitors which "burst".

A simple search on line will reveal to you that Samsung have been trying to cover up the fact that the components in their systems are of not up to standard and they have admitted that there is a problem to me over the phone. They have tried to say they haven't but it is a recorded conversation so they can't say otherwise.

They are trying to "secretly" upgrade affected systems, but the power of the Internet hasn't allowed this to happen, type in - "my samsung lcd wont switch on" and see what comes up.

The Sale Of Goods Act refers to the retailer so you must take it up with them firstly then they must pursue the manufacture - you do have the six year rule which states - the goods have to be fit for purpose.

My TV has had the capacitors changed and it still didn't as they had "fried" the power supply and it looks like it will be two weeks before i get it back, so what I am going to do is set up a forum on Facebook to shame Samsung in addressing this disgusting situation over their product.

I hope this helps but it does appear Samsung have been supplying shoddy goods to unsuspecting customers for about 3 years.

How old is the Samsung LCD?

Mine clicks when it is in the standby condition, i thought it was the Sky HD box updating.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Just a little click when the red light comes on, other than that i find it a good telly. Thanks for the info ..

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Thats good so far but be aware that Samsung designed it with the lowest capacitor possible when in fact it needs a higher one - keep this info handy - as i have a 40 inch TV and its the cup - but cant watch it - Not a happy bunny!

2 weeks with no telly? . . :eek:

Mrs would be rocking in the corner if Coronation Street was missed. .

They are doing this under warranty?

WARNING TO ALL

They are and i taking this further - Samsung should be ashamed over this situation there is no warranty to cover this they doing it " as a gesture of good will" (sic).

If you search you will find this problem is global - I know this is anecdotal but the engineers that came out said the TV's are cheaply made with bad components - kind of sums thing up.

• 1 month later...

I am sitting here listening to our Samsung 'clicking' away merrily in the corner of the room . . . . . As it has been doing for just over an hour. We bought the 42 inch LCD just under 3 years ago BUT, due to family reasons, left it in the dining room, boxed and un-opened, for around 14 months. We have been using it since then for aroound 20 months. About 4 weeks ago, the dreaded 'click' caught up with us and progressivly got worse. A couple of minutes 'clicking' before powering up then a couple more til we are where we are today. Having read some articals/posts regarding this fault, it seems that we would be better to go and buy a new tv rather than embarking on the uphill Samsung struggle we have read about. Any thoughts?

Hi there,

after reading your reply to my post I urge you to contact Samsung Do not get a new TV it is a known problem with this tv the capacitors on the power board burst they are under powered . samsung know about this problem ring them and they will arrange a repair.

They will say its a gesture of goodwill accept it but make them aware you are not happy about a design fault.

My capacitors had burst it took 20 mins to fix but still wouldn't work so it was taken away for a power switch to be replaced now it's fine for the moment as they only replaced 2 of the four capacitors so we are waiting to see what happens.

The number for samsung is posted here not sure where as they changed there number when you ring up make sure you have your model number and make

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! Just go off the phone Samsung. Success it seems. I am told that their engineer will contact me within 3 days to arrange a service call free of charge. Customer 1. Capacitors 0. I hope. Thanks for the advice. Got a baby a month away from arriving into the world and glad not to have to spend on a new tv!

Samsung number as follows-0845 726 7864 --- After a couple of option choices, all simple and sorted. Well worth the call.

Edited by supasnooper
New information to share...and removed formatting

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am hoping this will reach some of you who are experiencing this problem and thought that the only option available was to go out an buy a new TV. I called Samsung direct today (01932 454358) and very politely explained the problem I had with my TV, explained that I had googled it and found that 1000s of others had this problem too and asked if they had a recall on this product at all, as I had researched that it is the capacitor that's gone. The guy on the phone just took all my details and said someone will phone me to arrange a time to come to my house to fix the problem free of charge. There was no passing my call from pillar to post, it was one simple phone call. I was really very, very impessed with the way my call was dealt with and thought that I was going to have a real figh on my hands as the tv is over three years old, with no extended warranty. Hope this may help others.