Charged for parking outside a bay area

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Recently I had to park my car outside of a bay area at a car park. The car park is controlled by the UKPC on behalf of derwent living and is only for the residents of the area. I, as a resident, received a letter from derwent living that we need to apply for parking permits as the car park is going under UKPC.

I applied and got my permit which is always displayed in my car. The bays at the car park are not numbered and not specifically allocated to a flat or car. They have put up notices to say that unauthorized parking and parking outside a bay area is not permitted.

One night I had to park outside the bay area, as the limited spaces were taken up. (A few by non permit holders and one untaxed vehicles) The place I parked did not block or cause any problem to inflow and outflow of vehicles from the car park. The next afternoon when I checked for vacant spaces to park, I saw the yellow packet on my vehicle. I do not want to pay £45 as I see no reason to. What is the best way to approach this case.

Thanks.

Just Ignore them. They have no legal right to 'fine' you at all.

They have sent you an invoice, nothing more.

You'll get lots of threatening letters, passed to a DCA and then they will disappear faster than Harry Potter.

JOgs

They have charged actually, is it as good as a fine?

How is it going to help me? I mean by not responding?

It will help by saving any time and trouble in writing letters they will not read and most certainly won't agree to any mitigating circumstances. It will further help by saving you 45 quid for you to spend on something more worthwhile. And finally it wil help by depriving UKPC of 45 quid (plus the 2.50 that they have to pay DVLA to get your address and all the future postage) which may help to further erode their viability until (hopefully) they run out of money completely. :grin:

It will help by saving any time and trouble in writing letters they will not read and most certainly won't agree to any mitigating circumstances. It will further help by saving you 45 quid for you to spend on something more worthwhile. And finally it wil help by depriving UKPC of 45 quid (plus the 2.50 that they have to pay DVLA to get your address and all the future postage) which may help to further erode their viability until (hopefully) they run out of money completely. :grin:

Good one crem :D ... but how strong is my case?

It's not an issue of how strong is your case. You don't need a case, it is them that are pursuing you so you should be asking yourself how strong is their case. Answer should be; pretty much none existant.

It's not an issue of how strong is your case. You don't need a case, it is them that are pursuing you so you should be asking yourself how strong is their case. Answer should be; pretty much none existant.

cool :cool: ... I will wait for their letters then :p

• 1 month later...

Little Update here ...

I received a letter from Rossendales Collect - Professional Debt Collectors, saying that:

"UKPC has instructed us to take collection action against you for the recovery of the penalty charge notice issued to you for unauthorised parking. Failure to make payment within SEVEN days from the date on this letter (17th November 2008) may result in UKPC applying to the count court for a judgement against you, which may incur further costs increasing the balance owed.

It is in your interest to make full payment immediately or contact us with your proposals for payment.

YOU ARE ADVISED NOT TO IGNORE THIS LETTER."

Should I ignore this letter as well, or do I respond?

Thanks.

Little Update here ...

I received a letter from Rossendales Collect - Professional Debt Collectors, saying that:

"UKPC has instructed us to take collection action against you for the recovery of the penalty charge notice issued to you for unauthorised parking. Failure to make payment within SEVEN days from the date on this letter (17th November 2008) may result in UKPC applying to the count court for a judgement against you, which may incur further costs increasing the balance owed.

It is in your interest to make full payment immediately or contact us with your proposals for payment.

YOU ARE ADVISED NOT TO IGNORE THIS LETTER."

Should I ignore this letter as well, or do I respond?

Thanks.

Ignore.

A DCA has no more power than you or I to collect a debt and in any case, you don't owe one.

Nice of then to refer to it in writing as a penalty though ;)

Rossendales is well known on here - have a search if you fancy some light amusement.

and the 'action' they talk about consists of letters they send you. they want you to think that it is court action but of course it isn't. Rossendales not party to the allegations and have no right of (legal) action in any event.

• 1 month later...
Hello Everyone,

Today Rossendales had sent me a letter saying that they would send debt collectors to visit my home within the next few days.

Are they actually going to send people? What is the best way to avoid them?

Thanks.

No they are very unlikely to do so. It is just raising the level of threat in the hope that you will cave in and pay their laughable invoice.

If, on the very, very remote chance they do send someone, all you have to do is politely ask them to leave. They are not bailiffs collecting against a Court Warrant and have no power or authority at all.

I have had at least 3 letters threatening home visits and as I work from home alone, it would be nice to have somebody to talk to* once in a while - but nobody's turned up yet...

(* ie explain the law to them in words of one syllable)

by the way is there any kind of threat to my car?

No. Well no legal threat anyway!

If they do clamp (illegally), I recommend a hacksaw would be a more efficient solution than talking to them.:)

Hello Everyone,

Today Rossendales had sent me a letter saying that they would send debt collectors to visit my home within the next few days.

Are they actually going to send people? What is the best way to avoid them?

Thanks.

It's an empty threat. They are very unlikely to visit. If they do you can do the following:

1 just ignore them and not answer the door

2 open the door and tell them to foxtrot oscar and if they refuse then get the old bill to move them on, shut the door in their faces.

3 be nice to them you could invite them in for a cup of tea.

Whatever you do - you won't pay them a penny as without a court order they cannot seize possessions or demand payment. The most they can do is threaten or ask you nicely to pay up. You are equally within your rights to refuse their requests.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the posters are right I was helping a lady who got a PPC ticket she was at her wits end, it eventually went to Rossendales DCA I phoned them and informed them that no money would be coming their way and to sell the debt on or send it back to UKPC as I know the law regarding private parking invoices I invited them to take the lady to court knowing full well they would not, eventuall they gave up and sent the lady a letter stating they will not be pursuing the parking fine which eventually rose to more than £250 no correspondence has been received since September last year, so the case is now closed, she offered me 50 quid I told her to pay £9.99 to Neil Herrons fighting fund regarding parking tickets she was more than happy to pay it. look up parking appeals and register its worth every penny. or PM me and I will give you the URL of the website, I cannot put it on here as his website advertises, pity really cos Neil needs all the help he can. to sum up, do not worry about your minor predicament, ignore it and eventually it will go away. Barry