TV Licence - Your thoughts?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thought I would stick this discussion in here, as to me, this is as bad as being invited to a DCA Christmas ball!

What are your thoughts on this, and do you have any experience?

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

Thought I would stick this discussion in here, as to me, this is as bad as being invited to a DCA Christmas ball!

What are your thoughts on this, its a stealth tax that everybody who watches TV has to pay and do you have any experience? Of what?

dont know what the discussions is supposed to be about

in theory you should have a choice these days

You can have the ITV channels which are paid for by adverts but where there is no subscription (licence)

You can have the BBC channles where you don't have any adverts but have to pay a subscription (licence)

You can have the sky channels where you get adverts and still have to pay a subscription.and pay more for further channels

In the UK tho, regardless of whether you watch the BBC or not, you have to pay for it, even if don't have an arial and simply have a large TV for the games console, you still have to pay this tax - and that's what it is - just another tax

dont know what the discussions is supposed to be about

Your thoughts on the TV licence.

and do you have any experience? Of what?

Good or bad to do with the licence. I don't know if you could have a good experience with it, but a bad experience could include the DD associated with it, not having a licence and the repercussions etc.

I am just interested really, personally I think that once we go over to digital completely, then you should have the choice to turn off BBC and get rid of the licence if you do this.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

I don't have a TV; I watch old programmes on the computer sometimes (you need a licence to watch live TV on a computer, but not a later repeat, and there are lots of 'classic' TV shows you can watch on a computer too), the licensing people took some convincing, I even got a chap at the door before they accepted some people can indeed live without a TV and I am one.

I even got some compensation out of them for all the harrasment!

Edited by zazen.warrior

In the UK tho, regardless of whether you watch the BBC or not, you have to pay for it, even if don't have an arial and simply have a large TV for the games console, you still have to pay this tax - and that's what it is - just another tax

That's what the TV Licensing bodies want you to think.

You ONLY have to purchase a TV License if you watch LIVE broadcasting or RECORD LIVE broadcasting, whether that be on a TV, Laptop or Desktop.

You can have your TV plugged in, Aerial plugged in, however if you are not using it for the above two reasons (ie only using for game playing or DVD/Video viewing) then you DO NOT need a TV Licence.

The issue is should TV Licensing take you to court, you would need to prove that you never watch or record LIVE broadcasts.

Also the people that call at home addresses have no power whats so ever and cannot demand to enter until they have a court order (what these days is as rare as Tottenham getting 3 points).

These is a great website Letters from BBC Television Licensing/intro where an individual tells their ongoing battle with TV Licensing.

I think it was on here that I read about someone who took them to court because they got harrassed so much even though they didn't have a TV. They actually wanted to come in and search their house! I can't believe they can get a warrant to do this!

George Bernard Shaw

I am completely ambivalent about it, it is the law of the land that if you have a tv you must pay it, I must say that the content of BBC programmes are better for it rather than appealing to the lowest common denominator like the other stations do and this is in my opinion to do with not having advertising. Apart from that its just there and you have to pay it.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

I am completely ambivalent about it, it is the law of the land that if you have a tv you must pay it, I must say that the content of BBC programmes are better for it rather than appealing to the lowest common denominator like the other stations do and this is in my opinion to do with not having advertising. Apart from that its just there and you have to pay it.

Incorrect, it is amazing how many people still think that, and that's what TV Licensing what.

Taken from TV Licensing themselves.

Do I need a TV Licence?

spacer.gifspacer.gifgrey.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifYou need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

If you read this correctly and break it down into sections.....

TV, Digi, DVD Recorder, Video Recorder, PC, Laptop, Mobile.

Q1. Do you have any of these?

If Yes then go to Q2. if No then go to Q4.

Q2. Do you USE any of these to WATCH or RECORD television programmes AS THEY'RE BEING SHOWN*?

*"AS THEY'RE BEING SHOWN" is another way of saying LIVE broadcast

If Yes then go to Q3. If No then go to Q4.

Q3. You need a TV Licence.

Q4. You DO NOT need a TV Licence.

Incorrect, it is amazing how many people still think that, and that's what TV Licensing what.

Taken from TV Licensing themselves.

Do I need a TV Licence?

spacer.gifspacer.gifgrey.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifYou need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

If you read this correctly and break it down into sections.....

TV, Digi, DVD Recorder, Video Recorder, PC, Laptop, Mobile.

Q1. Do you have any of these?

If Yes then go to Q2. if No then go to Q4.

Q2. Do you USE any of these to WATCH or RECORD television programmes AS THEY'RE BEING SHOWN*?

*"AS THEY'RE BEING SHOWN" is another way of saying LIVE broadcast

If Yes then go to Q3. If No then go to Q4.

Q3. You need a TV Licence.

Q4. You DO NOT need a TV Licence.

I understand this, it is however semantics...we all know that if we (can, have recourse to or have equipment in order to) watch the programmes then you have to pay the tv licence..simple as!

Tbh I feel there are other things that need this kind of passion and reaction such as third world debt, starvation, war, man's inhumanity to man, the death of the planet, globalized piracy by big business and seeing as we are discussing this on this forum, an end to the unbusiness like practices of DCA's.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

Tbh I feel there are other things that need this kind of passion and reaction such as third world debt, starvation, war, man's inhumanity to man, the death of the planet, globalized piracy by big business and seeing as we are discussing this on this forum, an end to the unbusiness like practices of DCA's.

And you would be able to find people talking about the above with MORE passion if you went to a dedicated forum. As it is, this this is a consumer action group so we talk with passion about relevant subjects.

George Bernard Shaw

Lol, I was asked my opinion I gave it! And I think you will find I have mentioned the DCA's which I believe this forum is dedicated to discussing!:p

Lol, I was asked my opinion I gave it! And I think you will find I have mentioned the DCA's which I believe this forum is dedicated to discussing!:p

It most certainly is, and I didn't mean to offend you at all.

:p Right back atcha!

George Bernard Shaw

TV Licence - Your thoughts?

Don't open the door to them.

Next question;)

Just poke them with something sharp through the letterbox LOL!

George Bernard Shaw

Best of luck to you!

I did get some money back from them and compensation too, but I wouldn't wish the experience on anybody.

I spent hours on the phone and never got the same story twice from anyone; I was lied to, I was ignored, I don't know how many times I was assured it was all sorted out only to get another threatening letter.

Culminating in the man at the door who recognised a Very Angry Woman when he saw her; wrote 'No TV' on his clip board and retreated hastily away.

I didn't have one for about eight months, then I got the knock on the door, they told me they wanted to come in and look round I said 'OK, lets see your warrant then big man', obviously he didn't have one, he 'read me my rights' then set up a DD. I am now waiting to see if I'm going to be prosecuted under the telecommunication act or something.

It's one to tell the grandkids, the story of the rebel granny lol! I'll be climbing trees with Emily Bishop next...

George Bernard Shaw

I didn't have one for about eight months, then I got the knock on the door, they told me they wanted to come in and look round I said 'OK, lets see your warrant then big man', obviously he didn't have one, he 'read me my rights' then set up a DD. I am now waiting to see if I'm going to be prosecuted under the telecommunication act or something....

Why did you not refuse the man entry to your home?

He wasnt from the police/courts i assume?? therefore he had no right to come in regardless of what rights he read you.

I didn't let him in, he was on the doorstep when he read me my rights 'you have the right to remain silent', I should have used sign language after that lol.

He told me he knew I had a TV set as he could see it flickering, I told him he was very clever, especially when I had just admitted that I actually had 2 TVs hooked up to Sky!

George Bernard Shaw

Hmmmm, interesting.

I came here to find info on a specific question and this thread is very helpful.

My son recently moved into a student-y type shared flat and he is an absolute film buff, goes to the cinema 2-3 times a week. We gave him our old TV to hook up to his DVD player and he genuinely has no interest in watching broadcast TV.

No-one else in said place has a TV and he hasn't got a licence yet.

However, threatening letters have been arriving based on previous occupant's TVs. It can only be a matter of time before they knock on the door.

Now, I thought, in common with most people, that if you had any appliance capable of receiving a broadcast e.g. a VCR, you had to have a licence i.e. it was a broadcast receiving (equipment) licence even if you never used it as such.

How do you prove it isn't (ever) switched on to receive TV in order to argue your case? i.e. guilty until proven innocent.

I didn't let him in, he was on the doorstep when he read me my rights 'you have the right to remain silent', I should have used sign language after that lol.

He told me he knew I had a TV set as he could see it flickering, I told him he was very clever, especially when I had just admitted that I actually had 2 TVs hooked up to Sky!

So what happened then? did you actually remain silent or not?

Id have told him were to go personally :rolleyes:

How do you prove it isn't (ever) switched on to receive TV in order to argue your case? i.e. guilty until proven innocent.

Firstly, anyone that calls on behalf of TV Licensing (Capita) has no power what so ever to enter the property. You don't have to answer any of their questions either. You can politely ask them to leave and tell them you are staying here as a friend of other tennant.

Then if he has a lock on his door, then ensure it is locked at all times if he is out, in case one of the other tennants accidentially let the Capita person in to look around.

It is extremly rare for a search warrant to be obtained, they would need to have good evidence to present in front of a court to obtain one. ie. a signed or written confession that your son has a TV.

Ensure that your son has all his DVDs close to the TV. Ensure that your son doesn't get caught out with any questionning or complete any telephone surveys where by they ask you your favourite TV programme and what was the last thing you watched, or do you own a TV, DVD, PC, etc.

If he honestly doesn't watch TV then he doesn't have any worries.