Used car a con ?

Alfonso_frisk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, first post here and hoping I'm in the right area for help.

My daughter went away to work in her first car. Whilst away the car broke and was unrepairable. The garage where she took it for repair talked her into buying another from them (against my advice ).

They took the tax disc (9months remaining) so she lost out there.

Now she has a letter from DVLC telling her she needs to have a VIC on the car she bought as it was previously been notified as accident damaged by an insurance company. The car can not be taxed until the VIC is done

She has been back to the garage and they told her to get it inspected at her cost (£38 )

My problems with this are, what if it fails? how can this garage sell her this car without the correct paperwork (VIC)

I suspect some sort of [problem] and I have told her to request a full refund from the garage or perhaps talk to the police.

I cant get down there to sort this out myself, hence posting here.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Regards

Unfortunately I think you will have a problem. A dealer is not required to tell a purchaser that a vehicle has previously been an insurance total loss, unless the purchaser specifically asks before buying if the vehicle has been written off, then the dealer must answer truthfully with any information he has. If your daughter didn't ask, then there is no comeback. Lawful it is, however I am of the opinion it is completely unethical. I do however feel that they should foot the cost of the VIC test.

A VIC check is only to check the identity of the car. It isn't like an MoT. In other words it is to make sure that the car you have is actually the damaged car repaired, and isn't an identical car that has been stolen, then given the identity of the damaged car, to save the cost of repairs. Your worry of a "fail" is unfounded. If the VIC check shows that the vehicle is a ringer, then you have a case against the dealer for selling a stolen car. It is unusual for a dealer not to have carried out the VIC test before selling the car, because then the purchaser remains unaware of the vehicle's chequered history. I assume this is a less than reputable set up, as most dealers would never retail a total loss. I do take them in part-exchange but then send them to auction where the total loss status is declared by the auctioneer at the point of sale.

Edited by gwc1000

How long a ago was this?

Has it got a valid MOT ( date ) with any advisories? When you insured it did not the insurance company tell you it had been damaged and repaired?

Get an MOT done straight away as well as VIC and if any problems take it back to dealer and either get them to put right or reject car ( soga )depending on whats found.

why did they take the tax disc of old car thats yours and you could claim back. what happened to the old car ( part exchange, disposal ) they would of got about £ 150 scrap plus the tax.