annoyed re interview

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I know there's not a lot I can do about this - but wondered if anyone has experienced similar, or knows whether there's any best practice advice. I am quite shocked and upset by the way this situation hasbeen handled.

I was due at a job interview this afternoon, in a city c. 2 hours train journey from London where I live. I booked a day off work, bought train tickets etc. and was all set to go, with lots of spare time in case things went wrong. Unfortunately, due to someone throwing themselves under a train all departures from the London station were cancelled from about half an hour before my train was due to depart. An alternative cross country route was suggested but would have taken close to four hours - I would have arrived after office hours, let alone after my interview time.

As soon as I was aware of the problem I left voicemail messages and e-mails with the contact I had, suggesting I could do a telephone interview or rescheudle. finally got through to someone on the panel who had received my e-mail and said "the panel had discussed and decided that as this was the only day they had set aside for interview, we are unable to invite you to an interview on an alternative day. Because of the nature of the position we are not able to conduct a telephone interview, which is against our policy anyway."

I am a strong candidate for the job, really want it, and obviously have been shortlisted. Of course I have no rights here and interview panels can do what they like, but surely this isn't good practice?

Frunobulax,

Its an unfortunate thing, and clearly not your fault for the delay. Where you not in a position to drive to the venue enabling you to arrive on time?

But if the company state it is again the policy for telephone interviews, that is how the company operates, although It could of made an exception for you.

You could try and contact them in a letter outlining the problem, and that you are extremely keen on the position etc.. etc.. and hopefully they'll see the dedication and offer a future interview, always worth a try and you've nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

• 3 weeks later...

I would write a one-pager letter addressed to the interviewers directly, apologise and explain the incident and show that it was genuinely a situation out of your control. Express your regret, then emphasize keen interest for the job and your willingness to attend at an alternative date - and politely ask if it can be re-arranged.

I always think its good to come across positive, flexible, willing, and eager and in this instance your effort can be perceived as persistence and go-getting ambition. At least then you know you have tried your best. If after all of this you still receive a rejection, then at least you know you gave it your best shot.

Best of luck.

Personally I'd go with champagne_bubble's suggestion. At least youve tried your best then.

There could be any number of reasons why they wont rearrange the interview for another date. It could be the logistics of getting people together for the interview that they were doing them on one particular day, it could be due to people being away on holidays etc at other times or maybe you weren't actually that strong a candidate, you wouldnt know how good the other candidates were (no offence meant).

Write a polite letter and see what happens.