Capquest/ Letter Re: Purchased Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am hoping someone can advice--I am again at my wits end--having fought off repossession--i now find a letter landing on doorstep claiming an astromical amount relating to a debt apparently purchased from EGG--

I have had no contact since about 2003/2004--- this debt realtes( possibly to a acrd held in 2001/2002)--

I have no idea if (1) i should respond(2) or just ignore this demand

Could anyone advice me if i have any rights---

I certainly don't agreed with the amount claimed--it seem to be a debt which has been resold...

I am worried that thay may go for repossession and/or bankruptcy ( i was slowly digging myself out of this hole and now this happens from Capquest)

Plesae can some one advice

Thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the CCA letter off to Crapquest ASAP. Include a £1 postal order. Do NOT sign the letter and send it recorded delivery.

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY YOU CLAIM TO REPRESENT

Re: Account no: xxxxxxxx

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6) will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

If you do not understand this letter, you should seek professional advice

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply--

could you clarify the 1st line 'I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY YOU CLAIM TO REPRESENT'

as although the first bit is true , this prob relates to the card i held back in 2001/2002--so shall i still send letter exactly as you have adviced..

i am keen to get these people off my back and will follow all advice received on this forum

Thank you again..

the original agreement was made over internet( i think--!!) in 2001-EGG credit card--they offered a massive limit which was then defaulted on 12-15 months later..

I am worried that they progress straight onto the stautory demands/repossession--i cannot go through all that again---and am not sure why it has taken them 4/5 years

is there anywhere on the forum where i can now follow the stages i should be going through with CAPQUEST

Thanks

Try and relax if you can.....if there has been a gap of 6 years where you have neither made a payment towards or acknowledged the debt, then it will be staute barred....

Also...have they actually sent you a statutory demand ?

• Haha 1

ok--will do--- as this debt as apparently been bought and sold a few times i am only guessing at 2002 for the last payment--

i will send that CCA request--- but not sure what they should be sending back so is there anywhere here that i can confirm they have sent me all the requested items..

If what they send back to me all stacks up then i have a serious problem as the amount is so large that i cannot even begin to pay it off and that is what is worrying me

Do not worry. Even IF and its a big IF they do provide all the correct properly executed documentation you can only pay them what you can afford. If they took it to Court a Court will NOT make you pay more than you can afford. However thats for the future. Do NOT worry you are among friends here and will get ALL the help you need to deal with these people.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

further to my previous posts( 2 weeks back)- i had received a letter from Capquest( on behalf of EGG)- I sent a typed letter to them simply asking what it relates to ( as it is quite old 4/5 years and i'd not heard from anybody at all for past 4 years)

anyway this morning a brief letter arrives and states' ...account is on hold for 28 days whilst we obtain the information required''

I strongly do suspect they will issue a stat demand when i formally dispute this in the future so can i preempt them by disputing it now and could you advise the exact letters i now beed to send out to them and in what order- any advice greatly appreciated

thanks

I have merged your threads so we can keep in touch with the situation....

Have they sent you a CCA yet ?.....if not then don't worry too much at this stage, If they are outside the 12+2 working days to reply to your CCA request then send them this...it puts the debt firmly in dispute....

Send it recorded

Account In Dispute

Ref:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which have been noted.

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. A copy of which is enclosed for your perusal and ease of reference.

You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account entered default on **DATE**.(12+2 days after you sent the CCA request)

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore

You are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation.

This limit has expired

As you are no doubt aware section 77(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)

(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

As you have Failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect.

This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies.

Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data.

It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’; You must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends.

Should you not respond within 14 days I expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY

Action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

* You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.

* You may not pass the account to a third party.

* You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.

* You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

And keep us posted....

many thanks for merging this thread...

I understand what you are saying but i have not yet made any formal requests--

all i did was to ask them what it was about( a very brief 1 paragraph letter)--

The rely i received this morning quoted atha' all on hold for 28 days'

So should i now send the templated letters that are advised on this forum e.g SAR/CCA requests etc

many thanks

It is a real shame that you cannot remember when you last acknowledged this alleged debt, or made any payments on it. If you have any paperwork which might determine this, it will be well worth spending a bit of time to find it.

This is another of those cases where delaying everything so that the alleged debt crawls over the six year line is everything.

I would send off the CCA request as advised by ODC. If they cannot locate an enforceable agreement, that may be enough to win the game for you. Bear in mind that Egg is supposedly one of the better organisations at finding enforceable agreements.

A Subject Access Request would be a very good idea, as a) you should then be able to determine the cut off point at which the alleged debt becomes statute barred, and b) there are bound to be unlawful charges on an account of this age which can be used to put the account in dispute and delay proceedings even further.

SH

Send this below - remember send recorded, don't hand sign it and enclose a £1 postal order

DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY YOU CLAIM TO REPRESENT

Re: Account no: xxxxxxxx

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6) will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

This is the SAR to send to the original creditor....this will cost £10 (unfortunately) again send recorded and don't hand sign - they HAVE to comply in 40 days....

Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx (or multiple numbers if more than one account)

Please supply me with all data that you hold on me. This includes in particular, but is not limited to, the following:-

1. The original signed, executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened.

2. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

3. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with ORIGINAL CREDITOR.

4. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

5. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

6. Details of any collection charges added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

7. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

8. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

9. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

10. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

Yours faithfully,

print but don't sign your name

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update....and i am now increasingly becoming worried as fear that they will simply place a statutory demand...

I have this morning received approx 60 odd pages of copy statements--looks like computer printout as EGG logo does not appear on any of them...Anyway-- all they(CAPQUEST) have sent are these statements showing a massive accumulated debt..they have not sent anything else at all e.g debt purchase, defaults, credit agreement etc,etc,etc

They have now given me until 9th Novemebr to call and pay them prior to escalated recovery action..

Please could someone urgently advice me on what to do next and keep these people at a distance...i am really worried as i have heard on this forum abput the tactics that Capquest use..

Thanks

If they haven't sent you the agreement then send this by recorded ASAP...don't hand sign

Account In Dispute

Ref:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter of xx/xx/xx, the contents of which have been noted.

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. A copy of which is enclosed for your perusal and ease of reference.

You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account entered default on **DATE**.(12+2 days after you sent the CCA request)

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore

You are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation.

This limit has expired

As you are no doubt aware section 77(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)

(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.

Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

As you have Failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested.

Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect.

This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies.

Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data.

It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’; You must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends.

Should you not respond within 14 days I expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY

Action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

* You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.

* You may not pass the account to a third party.

* You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.

* You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

This pile of statements isn't worth the paper they are printed on without a properly executed CCA agreement. Check the statements and they should show you the date of your last pyment.