style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need some advice on whether I have any grounds for getting my LL to release me from my six month AST. I am two months into the contract but six weeks into living at the house I had expensive items stolen from my room by housemates.

I since found out that problems of thefts had been reported to the LL before I moved in and she was asked for locks to be put on the bedroom doors (it's a shared house) but she didn't do this. She changed the front door lock but that is all.

The house is particularly unpleasant to live in with housemates threating each other and some of them taking illegal substances openly on a regular basis.

The landlord is refusing to let me move out even though I reported that I no longer feel safe or comfortable living there.

I offered to give a month notice and make sure that I was available to show possible tenants the room, but she is refusing to even attempt to re-let it.

Is there anything I can do?

You have no right to be let go from this is the short answer I am afraid - although I do sympathise.

Just to clarify - the property is let on a "room by room" basis, and each tenant has a seperate tenancy, correct?

How many people live in the property?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Yes, it is let on a room by room basis. i am one of five people living in a four bed house.

The LL doesn't do reference checks apparently either, so it is little wonder people with little or no scruples are able to move in.

Did you provide a damage deposit? If so, did you receive notice of the deposit being protected in a TDS scheme?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Thats a shame.

What does your tenancy agreement say about assignment and/or subletting?

In that case, the best you can really hope to do is get another tenant in yourself, and formally assign the tenancy. I must admit that realistically, you probably have little chance of getting out of this.

I can never ADVOCATE this, but its worth remembering that if you leave with no forwarding address, the chances of them reclaiming anything are slim ;) just a thought to put out there, but as I say I cannot recommend it!!