Urgent Summons Under S172(3)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have recieved a court summons this morning for a failing to supply information under S172(3) of the RTA1998. This is the first i have heard regarding this matter. The Police have enclosed request for information as evidence, but they were never recieved, my partner can back me up that i never recieved it as she is nosey and always reads my mail.

I have 3 Options

1. Plead Guilty by Letter

2. Plead Guilty in Person

3. Plead Not Guilty

What do i do i cannot afford a solicitor, i am guilty of speeding but would have paid the fine as soon as i recieved it (if i had known).

How do i plead?

Thanks

They have enclosed the NIP they say they sent which says the place and time. I know the road is a 30 and it is highly possible i was doing 35. If they NIP did come through i would of returned it as the driver and accepted being guilty of speeding.

drod I don't understand your comment as even if now paid that would only be mitigation as the sec 172 is a summons & may still require the OP to attend court when they may still receive further punishment for not complying with the original NIP

As I am sure you will be advised in the fightback forums, you should plead not guilty.

1) You state that you did not receive the original NIP/S.172 demand. The Police/prosecution will rely on the fact that it was deemed served 2 business days after posting. However, this is a rebuttable presumption and relies on you stating on oath that you did not receive it and being believed. Any history of your post going missing/wrong addresses will help. You should also state that whilst the Police have the option of using recorded or registered post to ensure service, by relying on the Royal Mail First Class service - which loses millions of letters per year - they are, to an extent, authors of their own misfortune.

2) As to speeding, it matters not a jot whether you were speeding or not. Information must be laid before the Court to issue a summons within 6 months of the alleged offence. This clearly hasn't happened - presumably because without the S.172 response, they have no evidence as to the identity of the driver.

I agree with Pat & as I have already stated why has it taken them so long to send the summons after you 1st failed to respond within the relatively short period allowed by law........... summat not right here