Abandonded vehicle

emmarapid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a shared ownership flat in which I own 30% and the HA own 70%. The flat comes with a designated carport.

For the last 3 weeks there has been a car in it, i think abandoned as it is not taxed. I originally phoned the HA, who said they have to put a 28 day notice on the car, and write to the RK, before they can take any action. I phoned the police who told me to get onto DVLA, left a message with them but not heard back.

Can someone let me know where I stand, as there is no-where else to park, and the few 'safe spots' have really high curb, so that I cannot open the passenger door!

Thanks in advance

Emma

Ring the local council and ask for the department that deals with abandoned cars.

Explain that it has been left in your car port and as a result you cannot park your car.

Tell them that the local kids keep playing on it and you are afraid that it may get set on fire or someone get injured.

Same message to police.

As far as the 28day notice is concerned....... it used to be 14 days, pehaps the regs have changed.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Ok thanks I'll try again,but the council said they wont help as it is private property apparently!!!

Police just said contact DVLA. . . . who do not seem to like responding - although they were quick enough to threaten me when my car was reported abandoned for being parked on the street with a flat (funnily enough cos my carport was being used!!)

Ok thanks I'll try again,but the council said they wont help as it is private property apparently!!!

If they won't play ball, do you know anyone who could move or drag it out into the street? It won't be on private property, then.

Is there any tax on it? Is it unlocked?

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

If they won't play ball, do you know anyone who could move or drag it out into the street? It won't be on private property, then.

Is there any tax on it? Is it unlocked?

It's untaxed but locked. We've tried moving it but failed lol. It seems like I'm stuck in the middle, the police council and DVLA will not do anything as it is on private land, and midsummer say to report it the police and DVLA.

Who ever moved it onto the public highway in those circumstances would be guilty of a criminal offence.

It's untaxed but locked. We've tried moving it but failed lol. It seems like I'm stuck in the middle, the police council and DVLA will not do anything as it is on private land, and midsummer say to report it the police and DVLA.

If you can, drag it out of your space and into a common area of the private land.

That way, it will either be put of everybody's way and can then be ignored or in everybody's way and the landlord/management company will be forced to act.

If its not taxed, how about giving Inland Revenue a try?

I'm fascinated.

Do please explain why the Inland Revenue (now a defunct department merged with HM Customs & Excise, and now called HMRC - Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) would be in the least bit interested in an untaxed car.

Well I thought they might, considering they handle tax.

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED aka Road Tax) has nothing whatsoever to do with HMRC.

It is levied and managed by DVLA on behalf of the DfT and hence the Treasury.

Furthermore, as the vehicle is on private land, there is no requirement for it to have a current VED, MoT or insurance (although if not taxed, it should be on SORN - but there is no way for the OP to know whether or not the vehicle is SORN'd).

I'm fascinated.

Do please explain why the Inland Revenue (now a defunct department merged with HM Customs & Excise, and now called HMRC - Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) would be in the least bit interested in an untaxed car.

I really think that this level of abject sarcasm is totally uncalled for, so someone doesnt know who handled vehicle tax, does that really call for this? I dont think so!

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed