a major increase in my use of electric units?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My electricity unit use is roughly 1400 per quarter. My last bill has come in at 6000 units. This is a read meter as opposed to an est. I cannot think of any practical reason why there should be such a sudden surge in use. Could it be a faulty meter? Has anybody else had any similar experiences before I speak to my electric supplier?

Thanks in advance

Firstly, contact your supplier and request an engineer to test your meter. It may well be at fault.

Your supplier should be aware of your usual bills so they should be ready to help.

Can you be sure that your only paying for your usage and not someone elses. The easiest way to test this is to turn EVERYTHING off then look at your meter. It shouldnt be registering .

It could be just that your meter needs changing.

Let us know what happens.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

That could make sense as we have had a lot of new electric work / light fittings over the last 2 years. If you do not mind can you please give a bit more detail as to the problem / solution.

Thanks

Paul

Have the previous readings been estimates or reads? Could be they were underestimating for a period of time...?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I would imagine that faults such as those mentioned were probably to do with neutral and earth currents. But this does not explain the fact that there should be NO power running once your mains are switched off.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

The power supplier have admitted that an incorrect meter reading (by one of their meter readers) has probably caused the problem. They have not yet given me any specific information as to how and when it all went wrong, all they have offered me is an adjusted bill which still charges me for 6457 units yet at the pre electric price rise. I have refused this and they are taking it to their management. I get the feeling this could run and run! It just feels like they are hoping I would respond to a slight reduction in my bill, yet as far as I can see at the moment thay have got their figures in a total mess and are just grasping at figures and hoping I pay up.

Extreamly unlikey your meter is faulty, I have customers think this all the time, once looking at the reads its nearly always a problem with the reads, and in the case the customer is simply looking about the amount of there invoices (without looking at the amount of units used) it may be the price per unit increase.

The most likey problem is that you have been either underestimated or your meter has been read incorrectly.