• Tweets

• Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Chris V Halifax ***SETTLED IN FULL***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm new to this!

Having read FAQs I have contacted Halifax and asked them to send me a list of charges over the last 6 years. I believe most of the charges occured whilst I was a student.

I'm sick of being charged for being only a few pence over my limit.

In a weird sort of way I would VERY much like to slog this out though the courts with HALIFAX (if I dont get a settlement).

Can anyone offer any advice?

When i find out the total cost of the charges I will post it on here.

WILLING TO UPDATE & FIGHT THIS ALL THE WAY

Chris

Chris586:-) :-) :-)

Hi Chris and welcome ...read the step by step instructions and spend a couple of days reading some of the threads you will then see what you need to do next and when to do it

Good luck

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site.......just 1 point......its 2006 m8, lol.

Halifax: 28/06/06 Data protection letter sent

Halifax: 12/07/06 Recieved statements

Halifax: 12/07/06 Sent prelim letter requesting £4081

Halifax: 15/07/06 Recieved blah blah blah

Halifax: 25/07/06 Sent letter before action

Halifax: 09/08/06 N1 court claim filed at local county court

Halifax: 14/08/06 Received offer of £273

Halifax: 14/08/06 Confirmation from court papers will be served on 12/08/06

Halifax: 15/08/06 sent letter refusing offer.

Halifax: 24/08/06 Settled in full

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I will read and fingers crossed get a result. Are there anycases where someone has gone to court and won/lost?

I'm afraid they simply don't appear to be as up for the fight as we all are.... but you never know.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

In the Particulars of claim, hard copy version, there is a section that is typically removed by most users;

b) a declaration from this honourable court that the term of the contract leading to the application of the charges is unenforceable;

This might take it all the way - you are effectively saying that your case is not settled until you have a declaration. However, in a small claims court, any judgment would not set a precedent.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Have at last received a letter from HALIFAX which reads as follows:

I refer to your enquiry about bank charges on your account.

We can provide the information requested but to do so there is a £5 statement charge. Statements will then be provided forthe last 6 years. Please provide the authority to debit your account or forward £5 cheque. no action will be taken until we receive this.

If you require any further information please contact us.

Yours sincerely

Customer Services

Have given the go ahead to send these details and am waiting another 3 working days.

Delaying tactics?

When previously requesting statements/other services, I have never been sent a letter asking to confirm this!!!

If you sent the DPA letter to request this information (as advised in the step by step instructions) you should also have sent the required maximum fee with the letter (£10). The 40 days that the bank has to provide the information starts when they receive the request and the payment. Best get a payment out to them (or authorisation to debit your account) asap.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

To The Wife an I,

I have just finished yet another phone call with the HALIFAX who have promised me that they have sent a statement through the post by lastest next friday.

They have aready debited my account £5 for the pleasure.

Hence, not sending dater protection letter.

If it does not arrive then I will send the letter.

Hope that this does not mess the process up!

Chris :rolleyes:

You can always start off your prelim letter with the charges that you do know about. If you've had all the data by the time it gets to LBA, update the schedule of charges and the amount claimed and send them together - include any new charges added as well. You can update the amount at all stages until Moneyclaim when the figure becomes fixed.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

This morning I was greated by the postman with a very red face!!!!

I have just received about 20 envelopes detailing statements.

Having read through them all I have now worked out what the banks owe me:

Charges: £677

Interest: £141.28

Total: £818.28

I'm already so excited about the next stage!!!

Thanks everyone who has helped so far!

Letter Received!

7th August 2006

Dear Mr ********

Thank you for your letter, which was received at this office on 7th AUGUST 206.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with charges applied to your account.

We're keen to deal with your concerns as quickly as possible. A Customer Relations Manager will investigate the points you have raised and you will receive a reply shortly, but certainly no later than 4 weeks.

You will find enclosed a copy of our leaflet, which tells you how we will handle your complaint. (It doesn't!)

Your concerns will be dealt wih as quickly as possible, but to help us deal more efficiently with your enquiry, please quote ********* when writing or telephonig the number at the top of this letter.

Yours Sincerely

Customer Relations Officer

Customer Relations

Not wanting to wait 4 weeks for all this to be blown under the carpet.......I will prepare for the next stage!

Does anyone have any suggestions who has revieved a similar letter when fighting Halifax in the past????

All comments greatly appreciated!!!

Chris ;-)

Just stick to your timetable as set out in your prelim letter!

How we will handle your 'complaint': -

Ignore you,

send a derisory offer of 10% of your claim,

do some more (eXtra?) ignoring,

maybe increase the offer a little bit,

send a standard letter that ignores your concerns completely,

pretend that the charges are lawful and reflect the true cost (but fail to reveal a breakdown),

remind you that you accepted the Ts&Cs - and anyway we had our fingers crossed behind our backs,

stretch it out as long as possible in the hope you'll panic over the impending court action,

file to defend with no intention of defending,

settle at the last moment and still blame it all on you... :x

Jeep (The Wife & I)

i sent my lba today too! seems like such a long time tho

Halifax 13/7/06 sent data protection act letter

26/7/06 recieved statements

1/8/06 posted prelim letter, recieved acknowledgment 5/8/06

14/8/06 sent lba

18/8/06 offered £150 NOT A CHANCE

30/8/06 sent rejection letter to halifax

15/9/06 offered £450 no chance

15/9/06 filed court claim!!!

17/9/06 deemed served

21/9/06 letter settling **WON**

NatWest 1/8/06 rang for statements

2/9/06 got some statements

14/9/06 finally got rest of statements

30/11/06 prelim letter sent

14/12/06 lba sent

tesco 2/8/06 prelim sent ,

9/8/06 acknowledged ,

18/8/06 go away letter recieved

mint prelim sent 2/8/06, acknowledged 9/8/06

cap 1 prelim sent 2/8/06, acknowledged 18/08/006

7/9/06 offered £272 NOPE

10/10/06 filed claim

26/10/06 letter settling **WON**

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Court Proceedings just started:

Reply from halifax recieved dated 21st August 2006:

Dear %&*&

Thanks for your recent letter, I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the charges you have incurred on your account......blah, blah, blah......

As a sign of goodwill we will refund £55of charges in a full and final statement of your complaint. I must stress that future valid chargeswill stand and we reserve the right to close your account if you do not manage it correctly. If you are prepared to accept my offer, please sign and return slip of paper attached.....blah, blah, blah......You have requested information upon how we calculate our cost for dealing with these trasactions. Please note that we are not obliged under the Data Protection Act to supply this information, and as it is commercially sensitive, I regret to inform you that I am unable to comply with your request.........blah, blah, blah.....

Yours Sincerely

Halifax

Suppose it's what I was expecting.

I have not responded to the letter, is this adviseable?

Instead I have spent £80 in court fees and started proceedings which should be picked up by the courts after the bank holiday weekend.

Does anyone have any further advice on what to expect from Halifax one they hae been issued with info that someone is trying to take them through the courts.

All replies GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I hope that now Halifax will treat me a bit more seriously

Chris586

Hi Chris,

I had an offer of £273 once i had already began my court claim, i simply wrote them a letter saying thank you for your offer, but as you might be aware there is a court claim in process and the amount i was claiming for.

They then left it till they had 3 working days left to enter a defence before writing again offering a settlement in full.

All the best with your claim.

Dinky:)

Halifax: 28/06/06 Data protection letter sent

Halifax: 12/07/06 Recieved statements

Halifax: 12/07/06 Sent prelim letter requesting £4081

Halifax: 15/07/06 Recieved blah blah blah

Halifax: 25/07/06 Sent letter before action

Halifax: 09/08/06 N1 court claim filed at local county court

Halifax: 14/08/06 Received offer of £273

Halifax: 14/08/06 Confirmation from court papers will be served on 12/08/06

Halifax: 15/08/06 sent letter refusing offer.

Halifax: 24/08/06 Settled in full

Hi Chris

I've just finished my claim with Halifax. Started court proceedings but Halifax paid up before it went to court, they paid the original £3369 plus £410 interest and £120 court costs. I did the hard copy of the claim form and took it into the court where they were very helpful and checked it through for me and gave me some booklets that explained all that was happening, i would recommend this course for anyone who is not 100% sure of what they are doing.

Anyway good luck and i hope it doesn't take too long, it took me about 10 weeks in total.