The Stay - Here is the application grounds for the removal of the stay

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5640 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

Im about to apply for a lift on the blanket stay my local court seems to have put up, waiting for the OFT outcome.

Should i still include the OFT case and POC in my whitness statement in light of the recent statements they have made regarding comprimising with the banks etc ?

Cheers

A

My case was stayed and I wrote to the District Judge and he has agreed that there will be a hearing on 21st Sept to decide whether or not my case should be heard. Not sure if my bank will send a representative. Now I have all the additional work to prepare for this! Take time off etc.

I will argue the points in the application, and that the delay is causing hardship and further charges, contarary to the FSA agreement.

Any others got any ideas for how I should persuade the District Judge to let this case go to trial before the test case is heard?

I will also ask him to make the bank stop penalising me until the test case, as I have been prevented from making a claim, but the bank has NOT been prevented form charging me!

Please give me some arguments. I really cannot afford to wait until the test case is resolved. I am also argung that my case should not be stayed as my business revenues are paid into this bank account, and business accounts are not covered by the Unfair Terms In Consumer Contract Regulations. The main issue to be dealt with in the test case.

Thanks

• Haha 1

I went to court today to have my application to have my stay set-aside. The bank sent a barrister. My application was copied from above, and I tried to argue a few extra points.

The case was listed for only 5 minutes so the whole affair was rather rushed. Thats and hourly rate of £2880 as my case has cost £240 in court fees so far! The District District Judge quickly told me that all my points had been considered and rejected in a case in the Mercantile Court Carlyle v Clydesdale Bank or similar. I cannot find this case. Does anyone have a link to it please so I can see if all my arguments were indeed rejected in that case? I wish I had known about this case before it was thrown at me in court. No time to read it obviously.

I argued that my account is de facto a business account and not covered by UCCTR (the issue to be determined in the test case), although it is a normal account which I pay business revenue into and out of. This is the only argument which the DJ was interested in hearing further argument on, and the hearing to set-aside the stay has been adjourned. But the bank's barrister tried to convince the DJ that I was a vexatious litigant! and I have been put on notice that I could be liable for all costs if I proceed and fail.

Any help much needed and appreciated.

MartyR, did you know that a number of banks (I think it's three so far) have written to the courts requesting that their applications for stays be withdrawn? The reason given is that it has been drawn to their attention that business claims are not covered by the test case and therefore the waiver.

Something your judge could do with knowing about.

There is some unease and doubt about the banks' motives for doing this, but if you want your claim to proceed, it might well help you.

Els

I have asked about the carlisle v clydesdale case (merchantile 29th Aug)as well as it was quoted on an A&L case in writing on an order refusing lifting of a stay on A&L - but still dont know why this case in particular is so important?

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

For anyone considering applying for a removal of stay can I suggest that you read about my experiences (along with the RBS' defence) in http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cases-stayed-pending-oft/114983-hamster-application-removal-stay.html

Though a brief synopsis would be:

1. Judge was reluctant due to no previous experience of others managing to remove this stay.
  2. Human Rights is not an issue as "reasonable time" can be acceptable up to 7.5 years.
  3. To remove the stay one must show how your case is sufficiently different from everyone else's
  4. If going for "financial hardship" then you must demonstrate how it will directly effect you. The response to my submission was "you're refusing to pay the charges anyway so they aren't causing you financial hardship" The fact I was paying interest on the charges and not claiming it fell on deaf ears.
  5. If going for "health reasons" then you need to show exactly how the stay will have an effect on your health. Stress is not a factor as "well you started the case didn't you?" was the response I got from the judge.
  6. "There's a bias in the status quo". The bank will argue that the status quo remains the same in that they were able to charge per T&C before the stay so they should be able to charge during the stay.

Basically it seems, at least in my case, that this is such an important case that DJs aren't going to want to stick their heads over the parapet. As such you will need an exceptionally strong case, e.g. terminal illness or somesuch.

Such bad luck Kurt Hamster you must be so angry and gutted.

Check out caro's new thread in the Bank Templates Library,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/115023-application-removal-stay-grounds.html

Night Owl

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

• 1 month later...
Guest donna4473

I Had A Court Date For The 28th Sept Against The Abbey, They Applied For A Stay Which Was Given, Can I Still Apply For The Stay To Be Lifted Even Though It Is Now November Or Have I Left It To Late? Any One Won Against Abbey In Milton Keynes Court?

date For 28th Sept Against The Abbeyi Had A Cour

• 4 weeks later...

I had a court date for Septemberbut it was stayed 2 days before.

I am currently off work mid August until current and am now down to statutory sick pay.

I have written to Hereford Court asking for a stay removal hoping to sneak (stupid!) around having to fill nout anothewr form and pay more money. The court have asked that I actually do fill out and pay more (!!)

My question

1) It would be unlikely that my case would be heard until January, with the OFT case being on the 24 Jan is it worth going ahead when the oft case is so close?

2) being on ssp am i some how entitled to not pay the court fee??

any help would be fab!

1) It would be unlikely that my case would be heard until January, with the OFT case being on the 24 Jan is it worth going ahead when the oft case is so close?

2) being on ssp am i some how entitled to not pay the court fee??

Hi ol34.

1. Well, don't expect a categorical result from the OFT case in January. It could drag on for months.

2. See here for details of exemption/remission from court fees.

Also read here to see if you have sufficient grounds for applying for a lift in the stay.

Els

• 10 months later...

Your best chance now of getting the stay rejected would be if you could demonstrate hardship, but it would need to be a strong case. Did you have to pay fees to file your claim with the court or were you exempt from them?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.