PCN by ZIG ZAG lines on Verge (Zig Zags boundary)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently received a PCN while parked on a verge off the road by Zig Zag lines. PCN states 99 Stopped on a pedestrian crossing or crossing area markd by zigzags (99).

But I was actually parked off the road on a verge which has zig zag lines in front of it on the road. Do I have a case for getting this dismissed for the wrong contravention being stated on the PCN?

My question is how far does the boundary of the Zig Zag lines reach?

Should it have been a PCN for parking on the verge rather than a 99 contravention.

I telephoned the Traffic Services phone number and someone on the phone said that the zig zag lines extend to all/any boundaries and covers the area I was parked. But he didn't seem that clear exactly what boundaries are exactly etc. so he may just be bulls***ing me.

Does anyone else know if the zig zag lines boundary extends to the verge or only in the actual road.

PCN ticket image at below

www [dot] pinkytips [dot] com /images/ ticket. jpg

I believe the lines do cover the verge and/or the pavement. No harm in posting a washed copy of your PCN here though to check for any inconsistencies.
Recently received a PCN while parked on a verge off the road by Zig Zag lines. PCN states 99 Stopped on a pedestrian crossing or crossing area markd by zigzags (99).

When you say verge, whereabouts in Epping High St is this. I've looked on Google maps and all the zig-zag markings seem to have pavement either side

The below picture shows the area.

www [dot] pinkytips [dot] com /images/pav [dot] jpg

In the bottom right corner of the picture is the area I was parked (the area has some paving on it and everyone parks there next to the two marked parking bays on the right also with zig zag lines in front of them). A little further along the area I was on just off of the picture the paved area turns into a verge with grass on it that continues up the road. The public walkway is on the other side of the verge and the paved area I was parked on.

When you say verge, whereabouts in Epping High St is this. I've looked on Google maps and all the zig-zag markings seem to have pavement either side

I think it depend on the definition of 'carriageway' - not defined in TSRGD.

Has anyone fought a PCN stating that the definition of 'carriageway' does not include the verge or similar under these circumstances.

And if you view the above picture I have posted, would that make the parking bays that have zig zag lines in front of them illegal also?

Edited by guyguy
Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs)

Where waiting restrictions are in place by virtue of a TRO and signs and lines are in place to give lawful effect to the restrictions, these apply to any part of the width of a road. A road for the purposes of the RTRA means "any length of highway or road to which the public has access" and therefore is much broader in its meaning than "carriageway".

Unless otherwise stated in the TRO, the restrictions shown by the kerbside lines and signs apply to the whole width of the road up to the boundary of the adjacent properties, so this would include the verge.

This may be clearer

Sharpman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does the below only apply to lines or signs regarding 'waiting restrictions' or to zig zag lines as well (which are not waiting restrictions) ? Also if you view the picture in my last post does that not make it illegal to park in the provided bays with zig zag lines in front of them?

This may be clearer

Where waiting restrictions are in place by virtue of a TRO and signs and lines are in place to give lawful effect to the restrictions, these apply to any part of the width of a road. A road for the purposes of the RTRA means "any length of highway or road to which the public has access" and therefore is much broader in its meaning than "carriageway".

Sharpman

Also if you view the picture in my last post does that not make it illegal to park in the provided bays with zig zag lines in front of them?
It would depend on what signage there is and whether they are covered by a TRO. Even if, as you are suggesting, those spaces are unlawful, that doesn't help your case
Also if you view the picture in my last post does that not make it illegal to park in the provided bays with zig zag lines in front of them?

..........whole width of the road up to the boundary of the adjacent properties

Technically those provided bays would more than likely be part of the properties pictured, so they would be legaly allowed to park there, but, looking at the picture, bottom right, your going to be pushed to prove this doesn't come within the area of the zig-zag lines - unless you can prove that that was the boundry of any adjacent property.

Have you tried posting on the pepidoo forum, the people on there may be able to shed more light on the subject.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just got this from pepidoo site

The zig zags only mark the controlled area (between the zig zags) the bay in which you where parked is controlled by the yellow line. There is nothing in the TRSGD that says the zig zags must follow the kerb line, its only the area between them that is controlled which is why you can technically park on the footway (unless its prohibited) and not get a PCN for zig zag parking.

Do a search on there for zig zag lines and see what you come up with.

Sharpman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the PCN was from Epping District Council then a very good chance it is legally invalid. Seen one recently.

Need to see it.

TING the PCN can be viewed at:

www [dot] pinkytips [dot] com /images/ ticket. jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to this thread, I have won this challenge! :-D

Notice of acceptance of representations received.

Thanks to all that helped with ideas and posts regarding this PCN.

Cheers All!