E-on gas : I've spotted a big error help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have lived at the same property for about 10 years and for the last nine had powergen/e-on supply both gas and electric.

I get e-bills for both accounts. A while ago I was contacted by phone as I had forgot to pay the gas bill.

During the conversation I was asked for a meter reading to bring us up to date. This is where something didn't add up my reading was about 16440 units and I told the bloke this reading. He said no that cant be right I'll put 1644 units and my bill was £135 or so I paid it and thought no more of it.

Over the last week e-on have left messages and e-mailed me asking for my meter number and a meter reading. A bit strange I thought so I've logged in and looked at my bills from July 07 to date all estimated apart from the number i gave and was changed by their man.

I've looked at my meter again and its now 17294 units the latest estimated reading on my last bill was 2003 units. That's a huge difference!

I've managed to find a bill (and this is where the problem is) dated 13th May 05 states previous reading 10232 E Present reading 232 E (10,000 units missed off) total charge £0. As I was paying monthly direct debit balance brought forward £12.78 Payments £115 New balance £127.78 cr.

As I paid by monthly direct debit I treated thes bills as statements really and didn't pay much attention to them.

Sorry for the long post but....

What the heck do I do now? As I've quickly calculated that I've used 79,178 kwh that I've never been billed for.

Thanks in anticipation as I'm a bit worried.

Pj41

Has the meter reader never read your meter or even visited? Have you provided readings before? If so and the readings have never been used (you already gave an example of the agent not using your reading) then this willl come under whats called Operational Loss and is part of the billing code. If this is the scenario, then the company would have caused you to get into debt by not using the readings provided by yourself and the data collector, therefore they can only back bill your account 1 year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clare L,

After some discussions with eon (to be fair they have been very good in dealing with this) My revised bill came out as almost £1200.

However, as per the billing code, they have credited the account to the tune of £935 leaving a balance of approx £245 and I suggested 3 months to pay it off which has been agreed. Along with a further two months if the nest bill due in November is bigger than anticipated.

Thanks again

Pj41

Hi Claire L,

I'm sure they will if I ask as they have said to contact them at the end of November if I need more time.

It's just fantastic that people on here know what the procedures and rules are so I (and others) can approach these companies with some knowledge of what they can and can't do.

Thanks again

Pj 41