• Tweets

• Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Husband v HSBC - Paid :-)

Tigs33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Full claim going back 6 years total £2328

Sent preliminary letter 27/6, LBA sent 11/7, received offer today for £1980 :) I am hoping he isn't going to accept and we will take it further :)

This does work everybody just stick to your timetable :)

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

He opened the letter so he knows how much they have offered. He is thinking about it. I just want the extra £400 + interest :) which would mean an extra £1,000 :)

Don't see why they should have his money...it was his money after all. Luckily we are both in a position that we are in no rush for the money and have ample money to cover the court claim fee :)

REFUNDED

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Whooohoo! You people are really cheering me up with your good news tonight. There is light at the end of my tunnel after all and thanks to Michael's reassurance I am now feeling on top of the world (and drunk now Michael!)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeehaaaaaaa

Lisa x

Whooohoo! You people are really cheering me up with your good news tonight. There is light at the end of my tunnel after all and thanks to Michael's reassurance I am now feeling on top of the world (and drunk now Michael!)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeehaaaaaaa

Lisa x

I said a drink, not 6 cans. Put the coffee on.

Ok, husband has just typed out this reply, any advice would be greatly received.

Dear Mr Langdale,

Thank you for your letter dated 13th July 2006.

I am very disappointed that you have seen fit to make me an ‘offer’ of payment less than the charges you have unlawfully levied on my account and as detailed in my letters of 27th June 2006 and 11th July 2006. Where somebody collects money from me in an unlawful fashion I take the matter very seriously and by you making me an ‘offer’ I feel that you are not treating this matter with the same level as seriousness as myself.

I would like to make it abundantly clear that I do not accept this offer as full and final settlement of the charges unlawfully levied on my account since June 2000. However if you wish to make this partial payment of £1980 then you can do so by crediting the above account or sending me a cheque.

Whilst reviewing my accounts it would appear that not only have you collected bank charges from my account in an unlawful fashion but you are still continuing to charge me interest on your unlawful charges.

In February 2003 you recommended that I consolidate the overdrawn amount on my bank account and the outstanding balance of my HSBC credit card into a managed loan. This idea had already been suggested to me a few months earlier but at that time I rejected the idea due to the adverse effect this would have on my credit record. However in February 2003 after speaking to your staff and due to the increasing number of bank charges levied on my account I felt I had no other option but to use a managed loan.

Since February 2003 you have charged me £771.97 interest on this managed loan, which is in essence interest on your unlawful bank charges which between June 2000 and February 2003 (only 2.5years) totalled £1,892. I am therefore looking for repayment of this interest you have charged me on your unlawful bank charges.

I require payment in full of £3,099.97 (£2328 unlawful bank charges plus £771.97 interest on these charges to date) within ten days of the date of this letter. On receipt of this payment in full then I will consider this matter closed and will not pursue any further action.

However if I have not received payment from you in full within ten days of the date of this letter then I will continue to pursue my claim plus costs through any legal means at my disposal.

I am enclosing the original schedule of charges on my account already supplied to you, I have now updated this to include the interest charged to me through the managed loan to date.

REFUNDED

• 2 weeks later...

Well HSBC didn't reply, so Moneyclaim completed today, charges £2,373, loan interest on managed loan £771.97, Interest £900.18, Court fee £120, Total £4165.15 :)

REFUNDED

• 3 weeks later...

Woohooo received a letter from DG Solicitors today offering the full amount £4165.15.

REFUNDED

woo hoo wtg well done

WHEN THE WORLD GETS IN MY FACE I SAY HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:

MY SUCCESSESS

HSBC £5,735.35 :D

MUM IN LAW £2112.00 WIN FROM HALIFAX :grin:

MUM £3580.00 WIN FROM NatWest :grin:

AUNTIE 2 NATWEST WINS £1865.00 AND £2541.00

EQUITA BAILIFFS £293.00 REFUND :grin:

MBNA £871.16 WON WITH CI AT 24.49%

WELCOME FINANCE CHARGES £600 APPROX didnt even need letter lol

CAP ONE WON WITH CI AT 29.9% £994.26

CLAIMS ON THE GO AT MO

mbna ppi

NatWest cc at mcol (ppi next)

welcome ppi

first response charges

IF I HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY HIT THE SCALES IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THANK YOU ;)

Paid in full today £4,165.15 :) Hubby is over the moon!!! lol

Oh and he has now paid off that ridiculous managed loan :) no more interest for them ;) lol and he will be £60 better off a month :)

REFUNDED

Yup all we want is the Abbey to cough up and we would have had £8,000 repaid back to us :) Then on with the other smaller ones :)

REFUNDED

• 7 months later...

I am fairly new to all this but am EXTREMELY PLEASED to read about your husband getting his interest back on the managed loan. My partner was coerced into a "managed loan" with HSBC and of every payment of £110 he paid, a MASSIVE £60 of this was interest! (he paid this for years so goodness knows how much it will be!)

We have recently paid it off, years later - but I have a smile on my face as I type this and am waiting for the 6 years' of statements to arrive so that I can claim back every SINGLE penny!!! I know for a fact, he didn't sign up to pay them more than 50% interest per month!

I will post a new thread once I receive the statements and take pleasure in updating you all!!!

Thanks for your encouragement.

Michelle.

Sorry - quick question, when you received your statements, was it clear as to when the managed loan was taken out etc and easy to differentiate between different accounts.

In fact, did HSBS send you statements or just charge information?

Were there any copies of application forms etc?

i really don't know what to expect

Thanks

Michelle.

michelle,

i'm not sure how but you managed to find the only successful managed loan claim (allbeit combined with reclaimed current acct charges) i know of. by all means keep us informed - and start a thread in the forum when you have anything to report. we will help where we can.

Hi Michelle,

We downloaded the statements for his current account and the managed loan from the internet. As nearly all of the managed loan was due to the charges as you can see in our letter we just added them to the claim. When you think about how some of these customers have nearly been forced into taking these dreadful loans out I do not think the banks want to push the point with the courts or indeed get further very bad publicity into irresponsible lending.

Good luck, if you need any help just let me know.

REFUNDED

Sorry - quick question, when you received your statements, was it clear as to when the managed loan was taken out etc and easy to differentiate between different accounts.

In fact, did HSBS send you statements or just charge information?

Were there any copies of application forms etc?

i really don't know what to expect

Thanks

Michelle.

If you have completed the DPA letter for the current account I would do another DPA letter for the loan account and then just claim the interest together with the unlawful charges.

However I would only go down this route if the reason you had the managed loan was because of the unlawful charges.

Lateralus there was another lady who got the full amount of her loan repaid to her, I think it was Lloyds (total claim was for about £17,000). I will have a look and see if I can find the thread.

REFUNDED

REFUNDED

ok, but be cautious though, the date of that claim was well beyond the barrage of claims that they are going through at the moment. it can work but you're going to have to be very patient and also expect to go the 'extra mile'. don't want to put a damper on it, but be realistic - the media have caused 'frenzy' for claimants.

good luck

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Hey All,

Have an HSBC account myself and currently in the process of making a claim.

I can't convey my absolute disgust with HSBC. I've had an account with them (Midland, in fact) since I was 13 (1993). I moved to London in 1998 on my lonesome and worked every hour I could to put myself through Uni (a bar job of 52 hours a week). I was on a pitiful minimum wage of £3 something at the time and going to classes as well. They would charge me huge, ridiculous amounts that snowballed into not being able to cope and only having the option of credit. So, after needing to extend my overdraft limit several times since, just to cover their costs and be able to afford to live, I got a CC and was still working my hiney off.

I was diagnosed with cancer last year and had a seriously heavy op and lots of treatment to get well, and obviously wasn't able to work for a long time.

In that time, I missed 3 CC payments, never before. They froze my bank account, and withdrew my OD which I was now living off to cover costs and on the day I was discharged from hospital 2 wks after my op. I needed to pay for medication/ precriptions and so friends had put money into my account to cover these plus living expenses. The first I knew about my situation was when a friend tried to withdraw money to pay for these things and food and my debit card told him to get lost.

I called and a lady that could barely speak English told me I had to go to a branch to sort it out. I explained I needed my meds and physically couldn't go to a bank. She insisted that was all I could do.

So, I went into a branch, queued for 45 mins to put my name on the waiting list to see a personal banker. I wasn't supposed to leave my bed at this point.

I sat waiting another 1 hr 45 mins to be seen. The only way to get a penny from them was to agree to a personal loan of £9000, this would cover my OD (which would be re-instated) and consolidate my CC's. I agreed out of desperation and due to the fact that I was close to passing out through the strain of going to the bank in the first place, all without meds and decent nutrition. When I left, I was just pleased I could get my prescription. I had no idea of the interest on the loan. Turns out it's huge, they also put my CC into a higher, more at risk band!

Now, I feel abused and blackmailed into debt, just becuase they saw a very ill cancer patient that needed painkillers, antibiotics and dressings. At that time I was very seriously ill and weak, if they tried me any other time they would have been told where to go.

So, to all, HSBC is the devil and good luck to you all in your claims.

And by the way, I'm cancer free again!

AND THAT, GOOD PEEPS, IS WHY I STOPPED READING "WHO HAS MANAGED LOANS". I CAN'T STAND IT, IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL.

HSBC HAS NO CONSCIENCE WHATSOEVER - IT ALL COMES DOWN TO

FINDING THE WEAKEST AND MOST DESPARATE PEOPLE IN SOCIETY AND

LET'S PUT THEM ON A MANAGED LOAN!

Stabi, Congratulations on being cancer free! Let's get our collective priorities right - that one line is more important than anything else you said.

But as you are back to fighing fit - for your sake and everyone else - give em hell!!!!!

I agree with the theory that it may be a little easier to combine the m.l. with the current account charges as tigs has done. take your time - read up. using the blue strip across the top that starts on the left with

user cp go across to search - that is the site search - and if you put say - managed loans - into it, you'll get loads and loads of stories - but as i said earlier - tigs is the one success i know of and she has pointed towards a lloyds one (link above) which i'll be reading shortly.

if there is a god in heaven, karma, any supreme being, or justice of any sort - you'll come out of this with a very good result - just take your time - ask questions (go, on bong's thread to ask her - she is a wealth of info) and others who are site helpers and mods and know from whence they speak. i'll support you all i can. good luck.

and michelle, thanks for bringing tigs back to life on the forum (she's been busy elsewhere) we need her here!