Quick question...long answer expected...

Spiceskull
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 15 year-old child at state supported school
  • June 2008 does three or four science GCSEs 'early'
  • Grades are very respectable, but not A*
  • Child wishes to retake exams June 2009, when his peers also take the same exams
  • School says there will be £5 fee for each exam retaken

Is this legal?

I argue that if the results June 2008 were not as good as hoped for, then whoever nominated and advised child take exams a year early gave poor advice, and that child (parents) should not have to pay to correct that poor advice.

Discuss please...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

He got A's, but I and he both know that he could get A*'s

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

He got A's a year early and you are complaining? Well, IMHO you should let it lie and actually, he has done remarkably well, why would you put him through the hassle of it all again? And yes, I think in this instance that perhaps the EA are ok to charge, he has done them, a year early and done extremely well, it would be just a waste of a resource Ii.e. eg exam fee, marking fee) to have to do it all again .

Just my Humble opinion of course, others may well disagree. Oh, and tell him bloody well done from me ! :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I'm not pressurising him - I am very proud of him, and I've told him so. All I am saying is that should he wish to retake them, then why should he be charged to do so? He was 'advised' to do them early, as the advisers thought he would get A*'s...the advice was poor, so he should not pay to correct that advice...if he so chooses...

Well personally, I think that he got A's that is brilliant, I wouldnt bother retaking them, he doesnt "need" A*'s, but if he really wants to do them again, then, I have to say that , I agree that she should have to pay, because this isn't a re-take in the accepted sense, it is a vanity thing isn't it? :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Oh please. Will you be fighting your own shadow when you run out of worthy opponents? :rolleyes:

There is no guarantee that he will actually achieve a better grade next year, is there? In which case, the advice to take this year would have been spot on...

I have a feeling that the retake fees are actually set by the state (round about £15), and some schools add their own fees on top or subsidise them, depending on the school obviously.

(Tried to post this last night, but site crashed as I hit the "post reply" button!)

(Tried to post this last night, but site crashed as I hit the "post reply" button!)

I bloody knew that the site dying would be your fault :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Yes...I was livid when I couldn't post last night...I blame all the anonymous visitors to my Skillstrain thread...and as for vanity, me? Vain? Do you really believe that my issue would be blessed with the same levels of modesty as I...none of us are vain in the Spice clan, none of us at all...

You only get your exam fees paid once. You've always had to pay for re-sits, whatever grades you got.

Dont waste another year on GCSEs, their only purpose is get you onto A levels. Other than that, they arent relevant.

That stage of his life is over. Im sure he could get A*s if he took them again, but he would be no better off if he did.

Better to spend this year in the lower 6th doing first year of A levels.

He then gets two bites of the cherry - if he messes them first time, he can re-take them if necessary at the same time as he would otherwise.

A levels should now be his goal.

(but there is an exam fee) ;-)

Edited by noomill060

Well, I always go with the consensus view, and advised him that if he wants the very top grade then he has to pay for it (meaning I have to pay for it)...but like all kids he 'suddenly remembered' that he had also taken GCSE Geography as well, and only got a B...the teachers have told him that he has to retake that one...he has a choice over upgrading an A to an A* but not over accepting a B...so, that is my next question for five bonus points.

Well a B is a very respectable result too, What are the teachers reasoning in wanting him to do it again? because i think that it would be a waste of his time and effort, unless it will affect the A level course that he gets on, which I doubt.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

I honestly don't know, but I have reassured him that with all the exams he has taken, and will be taking, a couple of Bs should not be anything to worry about...he will have more passes than he will be able to carry anyway...just like his dad did all those years ago...:p

Yes...I did think that too. '...okay master student, your grade wasn't good enough, and it will affect our ranking, you need to retake the exam, pay for it, you bear all the stress, we gain all the kudos and benefit...'

Now, if that isn't an abuse of process and trust I don't know what is...

Hmmm, league tables come to mind.

If that is the reason then I would tell them to get stuffed, in fact, unless they can demonstrate a VERY complelling argument for a re take then I would say no, his time can be far better used in concentrating on his remaining exams, and lets not forget, he has done remarkably well in achieving what he has done.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Yeah sure, let's put more pressure on the kid and undermine the superb result he has achieved with a "could do better". Motivational or what? :rolleyes:

Listen: my boy has ended with distinctly average marks, with one B in maths. This was the child who when he went into secondary, I was told to start thinking Oxbridge... :-( Now the school is getting closed down because of its appalling record and there's a whole pack of kids who have been completely let down. Coursework has been lost, deadlines missed, you name it and the kids ended up with worse marks than they should have.

Anyway... M. still got into college to do the course he wanted, which will take him into the career he wants, and his number and grade of GCSEs know means nothing.

Congratulations to L. for me, you are quite right to be proud of him. :-) Tell him to enjoy his success and stop fretting. ;-)

Edited by Bookworm

L? It isn't L, it's J!