Cleo v Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had correspondence asking for us to telephone to see if they can assist - and they enclosed a sheet with info on a secured loan.

I have explained it is difficult to telephone but they say without speaking to us they can cannot take it any further in the branch. They say my letter has not been treated as a complaint.

Any thoughts

Stick to your timetable, and if you've already sent a prelim, send your LBA. Make it very clear that your account is in dispute, and that you are only willing to communicate with them in writing.

They're going to have to deal with you on YOUR terms now.;)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I will - this letter they sent is in response to me asking for charges to be frozen / stopped in JULY but they only responded AFTER I sent SAR and prelim. I have had a reply from the FOS as I wrote to them as well - they give me a reference number.Also My claim is being considered for hardship status.

i am in the process of updating charges schedule and will send with LBA asap.

I may be wrong here, but if you are going through hardship, I fail to see how a secured loan is going to make life any easier for you.:mad:

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I may be wrong here, but if you are going through hardship, I fail to see how a secured loan is going to make life any easier for you.:mad:

I have sent a copy to the FOS - I thought it was against their guidance to encourage more borrowing? YB don't say in their letter - they just refer us to some debt advice at the very bottom - if that is the purpose - why is the secured loan info on there at all?

for goodness sake DO NOT TAKE OUT A SECURED LOAN, they will have your house as well. The banks are not in business to do you any favours, believe me. The days of the friendly, helpful bank manager are well gone

I won't - I have scanned info and sent to FOS as we speak

What a great idea, I am pleased you have done that, it is more ammunition in your arsenal. They will keep on charging you whatever, I suggest you close this account as soon as you can and move over to your other one. I think Yorkshire bank are one of the worst offenders. They help you to get in a mess and then come down on you like a ton of bricks. They are like a runaway train once you are on it it is hard to get off the blooming thing. They are relentless

But I owe them the overdraft - however reclaimed charges would cancel it out . I have written to them several times asking to pay off in instalments - but to no avail - have had correspondence from the manager asking us to telephone but we have requested correspondence in writing and said the account is in dispute.

I have copied everything in to the FOS and had a letter back straightaway from the complaints department with a reference number.

All the more reason to start using your parachute account. Get any money normally paid into your YB account paid into a new account, move over all your payments, and let them keep charging to their hearts content.

Would the charges cover the cost of the overdraft?

All the more reason to start using your parachute account. Get any money normally paid into your YB account paid into a new account, move over all your payments, and let them keep charging to their hearts content.

Would the charges cover the cost of the overdraft?

Hi - yes they just about cover it - however in September they charged me £330.00 which has been added on - but that still means charges equal overdraft - I am worried they default me. I have got started with parachute account - they left us with no money at all this month - it has been terrible.

Sending LBA today with updated charges schedule but it seems a bit harsh as they have acknowledged my hardship claim saying they will separately acknowledge hardship - otherwise standard "we believe that your complaint concerns the level fairness of charges....". Do I still send LBA letter/

thanks

do not be frightened by them, move your payments and salarys, close the account and then tell them you are willing to make monthly payments to clear your overdraft. Banks seem to have forgoten they are in business to provide a service. The longer you delay the worst mess they will get you in

• Haha 1

do not be frightened by them, move your payments and salarys, close the account and then tell them you are willing to make monthly payments to clear your overdraft. Banks seem to have forgoten they are in business to provide a service. The longer you delay the worst mess they will get you in

Sound advice that.

If they try and default you, point out that your account is in dispute and as such they cannot take any action until the dispute is resolved.

Chances are they will default you on your credit file like many others have been. There is a fair to good chance you can later get this removed if the amount in question is made up mostly or wholly of charges it is always better to avoid it in the first instance. Contact them regarding the overdraft and see if you can come to an arrangement hopefully you wouldnt have to pay it for long before the charges are returned.

Hi - I ahve moved finances to alternative bank - however I received a letter this morning asking if I would like to transfer to their basic account and cancel all direct debits. They are asking me to do what i have already done. They say the charges still stand. Also received reply from FOS with a complaint form to fill in and they have written to YB.

This is the first time they have offered me this advice - however it is now too late as I have already taken that action. I will ask to close and pay off in instalments. Sent off my LBA with updated schedule yesterday

thanks

Well done cleo. You're in control of the situation now.;)

I just wondered whether I write to them explaining I need to close and pay overdraft off because the account is "indispute" or does this affect anything in the future process?

I can't see anything else I can do - and I don't particularly want to stay with them. they have only been acommodating ish since sending SAR

I wouldn't worry about closing it. It doesn't make any difference to you claiming the charges back, but I see no point in drawing the fact you are removing your business to their attention. If they realise that they are more likely to become less accommodating IMO.

I am worried about the charges they will keep adding on though to the overdraft i will owe them?? Also I need to respond to their letter replying to my complaint? They say I could swap to their basic bank account and cancel all direct debits - but I have changed now and cancelled all direct debits before they even suggested this?

:D Well done Cleo, I told you not to be frightened of them. I am not an expert but in my opinion you should close this account now and tell them you will have to pay the overdraft in installments as you can no longer afford to bank with them. This way you will know that you do not have to pay any further interest, so long as you keep up promised payments you will be OK. You are dealing, for the most part, with a computerised system which is why it has not registered with them yet you have already taken action.