challenging employer reference

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have tried to get copies of my all relevant records held by a previous employer who I know gave me an inaccurate reference, I have seen a copy of the one he gave another previous employer. Anyone know please how to go about this as I need to get security clearances which involve checkable work references. This very small vindictive employer -who is a franchise holder of Mr electric franchise is just playing around with me.

Hi,

Send your previous employer a SAR

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/subject_access_-_guide_for_data_subjects.pdf

They have 40 days to comply with your request.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I should have been clearer b4 posting, I have been in correspondence on this basis for several months, and he merely returned copies of my CV and job contract, which of course I already have. After several more letters his last reply was to finally admit he had another document, but could not send me copies as it would infringe on another persons confidentiality. I replied that he merely had to blank out their details and then copy this document to me. I have not received a reply.I have complained about him to the ICO and their reply was unhelpful. I have no money to pursue this, and do not wish to become vindictive myself in pursuit of this mater, perhaps I will have to let it go and hope I do niot get refused a job opportunity in the future

Was this employer your last one or have you had other jobs since?

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my question, No, I have had three jobs since, one for a year which I had to leave as the money was too low once overtime was cut, two short term jobs ( one I left as I was assaulted on my seventh day by a `fellow worker, whom I subsequently found out to have been known to have a short fuse and that company wouldn't do anything about it.

The problem is that I do have a copy of this Mr Electric Guildford owner's reference which he supplied to a company, but I want to make sure that this vindictive man has not sent another one out to someone.

I would forget about it. Employers only ask for the last 2 employers at most and by law companies cannot send out references with anything other than confirmation that you worked for him, the employment dates and bits like that unless a potential employer wants other info which I very rarely come across. Info on sickness records will soon be banned aswell as it can be constrewed as discrimination if this is taken into account

Supposedly 2009. A lot of local councils (some have stopped) and private sector businesses were and still are asking how many days sick you have taken in the last 12 months on the application forms but there is nowhere to give explanations so it can fall foul of DDA. Case study:- somebody with epilepsy only partially controlled has fits maybe only twice a month but takes another day to recover each time. Add those days up and it looks very poor but there is a legitimate reason and not just hangover day or got the sniffles. The prospective employer only takes into account the number of days so may discard the application in favour of somebody with a better record...breach of DDA!