Parking and photographs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5673 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At 1200hrs13/09/08, My wife and visited the City of York.

As parking is bad in York City Centre, we use the Park and Ride at Askam Bar, just off the A64, near Tesco's.

I always carry my digital camera with me, and I am carefull when I park in a public car park, to obey the rules of the park.

Knowing what these parks are like, I aways take a photo of my vehicle showing how it is parked. Also a pic of the the car park rules.

This I did today.

It seems that a joker from the bus company challenged me as to what I was doing.

I informed this person that I was in a public place and that I can take pictures with or without his permission.

He told me it was an offence against the Data Protection Act to photograph in the car park.

I explained that you do not ask my permission when you take my image when I enter this park, or when ANPR is used, or when I shop in Tescos, ride a train, shop in a big City Centre, go to a football match etc etc.

I said if it is an offence under the Data Protection Act, fetch the Police and lets get it sorted out.

After this exchange I'd had enough of this jobs worth so I wished him good day, and off I went on the park and ride.

As I was walking round York, I informally asked constable about taking pics in a public place.

He told me that an individual can take photographs in a public place and that was as far as he was concerned the end of the matter.

In all I took one pic of my parked vehicle and two pics of the signs.

Due to my Data Protection Act, I have not posted the pic of my car, but you can have 2 of the car park signs.

As for the car park rules, I conformed to these to the letter.

The park is owned by York City council.

By the way York City Centres lines and signs are a bit like those in Kirklies Councils area CRAP

Picasa Web Albums - carpe - ASKAM BAR.130908

I always carry my digital camera with me, and I am carefull when I park in a public car park, to obey the rules of the park.

Knowing what these parks are like, I aways take a photo of my vehicle showing how it is parked. Also a pic of the the car park rules.

This I did today.

Having read the above, I really don't know whether to laugh or cry :rolleyes:

Unless there is a sign to say so or a person refuses to allow you to take a pcture of themselves. Cant see data protection coming in. Post the other picture as well.

Don't know where you got that from but it's total bollocks

If you are in a public place I can take your picture regardless of how much you refuse or protest.

Any sign posted saying that you are not allowed to take photographs in a public place isn't worth the paper it is on

Mossy

And dpa only applies to businesses - not individuals, besides the points raised above.

And isn't it only personal information that's covered - I would assume a car reg isn't personal info by itself !

I'm waiting for someone to bleat 'human rights' - which only applies to authorities or public bodies ...

All opinions & information are the personal view of the poster, and are not that of any organisation, company or employer. Any information disclosed by the poster is for personal use only. Permission to process this data under the Data Protection act is NOT GIVEN to any company, only personal readers.

I am not a lawyer but I have used the Data Protection Act several times.

Basically the above advice, comments on photography in a public place are accurate, but it must be commented upon that there is a great deal of paranoia and ignorance surrounding photography these days. (On second thoughts, there always has been, it's just that there are more digi-cameras around these days).

There are certain restricted buildings where photography is forbidden and these are usually signposted as such.

And Data Protection Act only applies to businesses - not individuals, besides the points raised above.

And isn't it only personal information that's covered - I would assume a car reg isn't personal info by itself !

I'm waiting for someone to bleat 'human rights' - which only applies to authorities or public bodies ...

Car reg is personal info when the data processor can cross reference it to another data base which holds the personal data relating to a living individual.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

It has nothing to do with the data protection act but the Car Park owner can stipulate what he/she likes as terms of use. A public car park is just that a car park for the public to use it does not mean you can freely carry out any other activity without authority from the owners.

Snap away! I too usually take a photo of my car when I park after my hubby got a ticket for parking outside the lines, 2 can play the photo game!

I used to be in the photographic industry and is funny listening to some peoples opinions on photography and the law (I don't mean the opinions on here, supposedly people on the inside who know nowt). Basically as it has already been said, if you are in a public place you are free to take photos as long as you are not obstructing anyone.

Photographers Rights And The Law In The UK

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

It has nothing to do with the data protection act but the Car Park owner can stipulate what he/she likes as terms of use. A public car park is just that a car park for the public to use it does not mean you can freely carry out any other activity without authority from the owners.

This is true, however, given the power of modern digi-cams in respect of their zoom and magnification capabilities it would be possible in many circumstances to photograph signs from the public highway.

In this case the owner of the signs would have no authority to prevent photographs being taken.

Snap away! I too usually take a photo of my car when I park after my hubby got a ticket for parking outside the lines, 2 can play the photo game!

I used to be in the photographic industry and is funny listening to some peoples opinions on photography and the law (I don't mean the opinions on here, supposedly people on the inside who know nowt). Basically as it has already been said, if you are in a public place you are free to take photos as long as you are not obstructing anyone.

Photographers Rights And The Law In The UK

thanks for the link, cheers!

Seems a bit paranoid to me and a little pointless a photo of the position of the car is unlikely to be of little use in such a case since you could have moved it after you got the PCN. If you did get a PCN surely you could take a photo afterwards as the car would still be in the same place.

........ since you could have moved it after you got the PCN. If you did get a PCN surely you could take a photo afterwards as the car would still be in the same place.

If he is using a date/time stamping camera (like most of the digi ones are) he would be able to prove the position of the car before the PCN was issued, and if one is issued I presume he would take another to demonstrate the car is still parked exactly as it was after the ticket was issued.

If he is using a date/time stamping camera (like most of the digi ones are) he would be able to prove the position of the car before the PCN was issued, and if one is issued I presume he would take another to demonstrate the car is still parked exactly as it was after the ticket was issued.

Takes seconds to alter the date on cameras, so quite easy for someone to backdate it! If you have parked correctly, then why worry?

The difference between me and a lot of posters is the fact that I aint had a ticket yet and do not intend to give any

Council or PPC the chance so to do.

I try a play councils and PPC's at the game they play with me.

To this end a lot of posters talk a good fight, but thats all they do, and as we know talk is cheap.

My point exactly, it only takes a jiffy to change the date so as 'proof' you parked legally its meaningless.

That's as may be in your opinion, but, I had a Parking ticket slapped on my windscreen by some jobsworth.(failure to display valid ticket) I had a perfectly valid ticket, prominently displayed on the drivers side. But it appears that the ijut didn't look very hard.

as I had a digital Camera, I took the picture of where it was displayed and how prominent it was and sent this to the Parking company (Stoke on trent)

This was immediately cancelled by the company.

So it does pay to use photographic evidence.

You say it's easy to change date and time etc, it's just as easy for them to do this as well.

Sharpman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it is a pay and display, I also take a pic of the ticket.

Also I keep the tickets in date order, so if in a months time I get a parking ticket, then I know what where and when.

As I have not had a ticket, and have no intention of getting one,then I keep myself ready for one coming in under the radar.

I also check yellow box junctions and make sure the only have 4 sides, as some in my area have more than 4 sides.

When I drive around, I look at parking bays and sineage, and you would be shocked at some of the town centres I have seen.

If a spot has APNR I will not use the place or goto to McDonnalds as they fine me.

As my old mam said to me, 'Prevention is better than the cure.'

I also drive at 5mph under the speed limit to avoid penalty points on me licence.

I also check my electric meter every night, and keep a spread sheet each day on how many KW/hrs we use.

Average 12.5kw/hrs over a 30 day period.

Nuff said.......................................

If it is a pay and display, I also take a pic of the ticket.

Also I keep the tickets in date order, so if in a months time I get a parking ticket, then I know what where and when.

As I have not had a ticket, and have no intention of getting one,then I keep myself ready for one coming in under the radar.

I also check yellow box junctions and make sure the only have 4 sides, as some in my area have more than 4 sides.

When I drive around, I look at parking bays and sineage, and you would be shocked at some of the town centres I have seen.

If a spot has Anpr I will not use the place or goto to McDonnalds as they fine me.

As my old mam said to me, 'Prevention is better than the cure.'

I also drive at 5mph under the speed limit to avoid penalty points on me licence.

I also check my electric meter every night, and keep a spread sheet each day on how many KW/hrs we use.

Average 12.5kw/hrs over a 30 day period.

Nuff said.......................................

Most car speedos (I'm tempted to say all) read 2 or 3 miles under the actual speed anyway to ensure you're within the limit. Plus the ACPO guidelines give you 10% + 1 before they are supposed to procecute. This would mean on a 40mph road you wouldn't get procecuted until you were doing 45mph whilst you are probably driving at 33mph to avoid it. (5mph under the 40 on your speedo is more likely to be 33mph).

A more likely result is other people around you are getting caught speeding as they inadvertantly go over the limit for a short time while trying to get past you crawling along so far under the limit! :rolleyes:

Edited by crem
  • Haha 1

My domicile is neither here nor there, where somtimes it rains and other days it snows.

Anonimity is the name of the game, and you should not ask personal questions which could lead to an individual being recognised to anyone.

As you know we santize posted documents so the The Enemy cannot identify who you are.

Remember all you'll get from me is number rank and name.