• Tweets

• You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
    • Ok many thanks. Just wanted to check that nothing else for us to do / send for the moment. Will update again once we receive a copy of their N181 and proposed directions for review. Our post is a bit hit and miss at the moment. Appreciate the help through this process.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

All8pne v Nationwide

All8pne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just want to wish you good luck!

I'm just starting out too, have just requested details of charges from data controller at Nationwide. Their 40 days to supply starts today. Tick tick tick....

Yorkshire Bank - owe me £1956

Prelim letter sent 17/07/06

"Forget it" letter received 19/07/06

LBA sent 21/07/06

Claim submitted 08/08/06

Defence received Day 28 07/09/06

Allocation questionnaire sent 13/09/06

YB offer £1588 + £120 costs 27/09/06

Rejected! 29/09/06

YB offer £1985 + £220 costs 21/12/06

Accepted! 22/12/06

Awaiting cheque

Barclays Bank - owe me £229

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 13/07/06

£10 cheque returned, duplicate statements coming soon letter rec'd 20/07/06

Statements received on Day 41

Prelim letter sent 8th Jan 07

Nationwide BS - owe me £329

Statements received very promptly

I wouldn't bother organising a parachute account before you start claiming as it will take a while for your claim to go through and then they give you 30 days notice. I would get on with it as soon as possible.

Good luck....at the moment Nationwide are pretty easy to predict what they will do!

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

• 2 weeks later...

Nationwide got back to me in a week to tell me copy statements would be sent shortly. They cashed the £10 cheque very quickly!

LBA sent 21/07/06

Claim submitted 08/08/06

Rejected! 29/09/06

Accepted! 22/12/06

Awaiting cheque

I recieved a standard reply from Susan Taylor (Data Protection Administrator) informing me that my duplicate statements will be sent in due course. Pretty standard I guess.

I have had a setback with my parachute account though, I recieved a letter from first direct saying i couldnt open an account with them due to my credit rating etc etc, so i have applied for a Nat West basic step account today, hopefully i will have more luck with them.

All the best

I managed to open a Co-op Bank Cashminder account last Saturday - my Electron card and information pack arrived yesterday, paying in book and PIN to follow. With this account you can also pay in and withdraw money at the Post Office which is handy. I probably won't go near a branch for a long time!

Using my new mycashplus Mastercard for places that don't accept Electron.

Still waiting for statements from Nationwide - it's been 23 days now since I sent the SAR....

LBA sent 21/07/06

Claim submitted 08/08/06

Rejected! 29/09/06

Accepted! 22/12/06

Awaiting cheque

By the way - if you didn't know, mycashplus is a prepaid Mastercard that you top up and then use like a regular credit card. Fantastic if, like me, you can only have a basic bank account but don't want to carry cash all the time. Cost £4.95 a month though to use... www.mycashplus.co.uk

LBA sent 21/07/06

Claim submitted 08/08/06

Rejected! 29/09/06

Accepted! 22/12/06

Awaiting cheque

I have a question that i have not seen answered anywhere else as yet, its. I know our claims are limited to charges incurred in the last 6 years, but when does the 6 year clock stop ticking?

For example do you claim for 6 years from the date of your preliminary letter, or Letter before action or is it when you lodge your money claim?

Theoretically it is 6 years from the date you became aware that the charges were unlawful I believe. So in this case I personally would go from the date you sent your DPA request.

• Confused 1

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

• 3 weeks later...

Statements arrived this morning, so there will be some frantic adding up in our house tonight!

So thats 24 days since they recieved the SAR. I noticed in my reply letter from Sarah Watson that the reference was DP/2006/2371 I wonder how many of the 2371 are CAG members?

After entering all the charges and interest charges on charges into the magic spreadsheet I have a total of £4,286 in charges and a further £330.23 to request in my preliminary letter, which is all nicely printed off and sat on my desk along with the schedule of charges.

It will get sent recorded delivery tomorrow morning to Mr Bacon.

• 3 weeks later...

I have sent off my LBA this morning to Mr. Bacon, so far everything seems to be going according to plan. I didn't recieve a reply to my prelim letter, but i'm not really bothered about that at all.

I did have to revise my figures downwards slightly though. I re-checked my spreadsheet & statements and found a refund of £17.50 back in march 2003 and also I had used the dates the penalty appeared on the statement and not the date the penalty was applied. Anyway its all sorted now and in the post.

I got this message when i logged on today

"Hello All8pne it appears that you have not posted on the forum for several weeks. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of the forums? You will get so much more benefit from taking an active part and the forum will benefit from your involvement as well."

Sorry.

I just read the FAQ's and keep up to date with everyone elses threads, I dont seem to have any questions to ask!

I can make some up if you like......

Whats the capital city of Equador?

Quito :p

Didn't know about that message popping up, must be to encourage people to post.

I popped home at lunchtime and there was a response to my prelim letter, just the standard stuff everyone else seems to be getting.

thank you for your letter of the 25th....

We appreciate the time you've taken to get in touch with us about this issue...

As you know...blah blah.. in accordance with terms and conditions...agreed to by yourself when you sign your application...

Nationwide believes it is open and transparent about charges...Blah blah....alternative banking arrangements....Hope this clarifies our position..

Now F*** Off

Love Paula Blake

Member Servicing

I did consider writing a snotty reply quoting the OFT stance on closing accounts but decided against it as it wont really add any value, I have already sorted out new accounts for both me and my lovely wifey:)

Still on track - Next step moneyclaim 22/09/2006

Cool - roll on the 22nd :)

Cant resist the snotty letter.....

Dear Paula,

Thank you for your letter of the 6th September 2006, about charges incurred on our flex account.

I appreciate the time you've taken responding to my letter of the 25th August 2006 and thank you for explaining the rationale behind your charging policy, and as you pointed out I'm fully aware of the media and press coverage regarding the lawfulness of penalty charges applied to consumer's accounts by banking institutions.

I agree that the tariffs of penalty charges are enshrined within your terms and conditions and that I accepted them when I signed my application form. This however does not make them any more legal, in much the same way as if I signed terms and conditions allowing someone to assault me, this would not make the assault any more legal.

I bring to your attention the following extract of my letter before action which was posted to your Mr. Charles Bacon this morning:

English contract law requires such fees to be a genuine pre-estimate of your losses if it is to be lawful following the case of Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79 A charge will be held to be a penalty if the sum stipulated for is extravagant and unconscionable in amount in comparison to the greatest loss that could conceivably be proved to have followed from the breach. A penalty clause is void in its entirety and unenforceable.

I believe that the charges you have levied far exceed any true cost to yourself as a result of my breach of contract and any genuine pre-estimate you could conceivably reach. If you disagree, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your charges really do reflect your costs.

In addition your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). The account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as I am a consumer. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under Schedule 2 of the said Regulations which provide an indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair. Under paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 this specifically includes terms which have the object of requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

As to your statement that 'Nationwide Believes it is open and transparent about fees' I request again, for the third time, please can you demonstrate how open and transparent nationwide are, by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of my breaches of contract.

Thank you for making me aware that the nationwide group uses the FSA rules when dealing with customers concerns. I would like to make you aware that I will be conducting my concerns under county court rules, and to this end as mentioned above I have issued a letter before action to your Mr. Charles Bacon this morning. If I do not receive a satisfactory reply within 14 days I will have no hesitation in submitting a claim with the court service.

Furthermore I would like to bring to your attention an extract from a briefing note issued by the Financial Services Authority on the 4th July 2006

"Briefing Note BN 023/06

4 July 2006

FSA position on account closures and default charges

Generally, under FSA rules on dispute resolution and complaints, we would not expect any regulated firm to discriminate against a customer who makes a complaint."

So by closing my account after I have taken court action you, as I know from following other consumers claims against the Nationwide you will be acting against the advice of the body under which you have stated that you are regulated, I would very much appreciate an explanation of your stance on this point.

Yours Faithfully

All8PNE

Do you think i should or just leave it?

Good letter - might as well send it, all you will have lost is the cost of a stamp :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy Shipmates!! (Tis Talk like a pirate day today dont you know Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19 )

Argh... ok the big moneyclaim day is this friday, I was wondering if someone could just check the wording in case i have made a cock up please, me Hearties:

Claimant has account XXXXXXX with Defendant

from December 1999 conducted on their

standard terms and conditions. Claimant is

claiming the return of £4579.04 taken by

Defendant in charges and interest on the said

charges over the past 6 years. The

Defendant's charges are a disproportionate

penalty and therefore unenforceable as they

are contrary to common law. They are also

invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act

1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in

Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.Para.8

and sch.2.1.e.

In the event that the charges are not a

penalty they are unreasonable within the

meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services

Act 1982 s.15. Defendant has declined

justification of charges despite repeated

requests. Claimant claims interest under

Sec.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a

rate of 8% a year from 31/08/2000 to

22/09/2006 of £1371.93 and also interest at

same rate up to the date of judgment or

earlier payment at a daily rate of £1.00p.

I think its correct but would appreciate a thumbs up before i make the Nationwide walk ye plank, the scurvey dogs....argh....etc

Thumbs up :)