DVLA Subject Access Request

Rob S
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5675 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There has been a lot of interest of late in DVLA and how they are cocking up simple changes of addresses on driving licences and returning them with full categories such as motorcycle or LGV/HGV missing, often leading to the affected person having to retake the test again as DVLA have refused to budge.

I decided to SAR DVLA and see what they were holding on me relating to my full driving licence categories, especially as it was a long time ago that I took both my motorcycle and car driving tests (1979 in fact). The print out arrived today and it showed the full categories that I currently hold, the date I gained the categories and when they expire.

I would suggest that anyone in dispute with DVLA applies to receive this print out. It could contain vital information relating to the categories you hold and could be valuable evidence to use against them. I will certainly be filing mine in a safe place so that when I send my photo licence off for renewal in 2017 ( as they expire every 10 years now, unlike the paper licences), should DVLA drop any categories I will have the necessary evidence at hand to fight them.

There has been a lot of interest of late in DVLA and how they are cocking up simple changes of addresses on driving licences and returning them with full categories such as motorcycle or LGV/HGV missing, often leading to the affected person having to retake the test again as DVLA have refused to budge.

I decided to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) DVLA and see what they were holding on me relating to my full driving licence categories, especially as it was a long time ago that I took both my motorcycle and car driving tests (1979 in fact). The print out arrived today and it showed the full categories that I currently hold, the date I gained the categories and when they expire.

I would suggest that anyone in dispute with DVLA applies to receive this print out. It could contain vital information relating to the categories you hold and could be valuable evidence to use against them. I will certainly be filing mine in a safe place so that when I send my photo licence off for renewal in 2017 ( as they expire every 10 years now, unlike the paper licences), should DVLA drop any categories I will have the necessary evidence at hand to fight them.

Good idea Rob :)

Rob,

what is the preocedure for this, and how much does it cost?

I plan on changing my old paper licence for a new style photo licence and don't want to lose my motorcycle entitlement.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

This is from the DVLA website and it is the procedure I followed. It took them about 2 weeks to turn my request around.

Release of information about yourself - Driver Register

Enquiries of the Driver Licence Record should be addressed to DCS (Data Subject Enquiries), D4, DVLA, Swansea SA6 7JL. You should give details of your address, driver number or full name and date of birth and reason for request. A fee of £5 is payable.

Just make your cheque payable to DVLA.

Presumably for "reason for request" you say "because I want it and the law says I can have it".

Why not save £5 and just take a photocopy of your current licence before getting a replacement?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

That's exactly the reason I gave Bernie:D I did make a copy of my old licence but I was interested to see what DVLA actually hold as they often state that they don't retain old documentation. I am tempted to write back and to ask for copies of everything that they have, not just the print out that I received:)