Student Loan from 1992

Faustus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just received a letter from the Student Loan Company relating to Student Loans I took out in 91 and 92. This is the first contact I've have had from them on so long that I can't remember, with them claiming that they've just found me which I'm doubtful about having lived at the same address for 11 years. I'm fairly sure I defered the loan at least twice in the early 90's but that's it. They claim that they took me to court and got a CCJ but again I don't recall this, which leds me to suspect that this was in the 90's also. I'm now also over 40. So what's my best move forward?

Hi,

I am very new to this so hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge will be along soon to help. I think though if there is no CCJ (which I doubt) then your debts are statute barred under the Limitations Act. If there is a CCJ then I'm not sure what happens.

Hopefully, someone with heaps of expereince will read this soon and help you out. This is a great group and I haven't felt so in control of my life for a long time :)

HI, if they hav'nt got a ccj then its all over statute barred afer six years of no contact ( no payments of deferments or letters sent by you) game over!

If they have got a ccj the this stays and you owe the money for ever or until its payed!

1992 that about £600, if they have a ccj you could challage it in court. I have been told all pre 1993 agrements have been destroyed but this is hear say so request a copy of yout contrat via the CCA 1973 route see the debt section for a letter template

or you could apply to court to make payments via instalments

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update. I dropped them a line, requesting both a CRA and proof of the CCJ. I also asked for some indication as to where and when they last tried to get in touch with me. I also questioned the quality of their tracing since I'd lived pretty much at the same address since 1997, having moved a mere 9 yards upwards in the building in 2004 with neighbours who knew me in my old flat for the first 2 years since moving.........

To date. Nothing, no reply, nada.......

Interesting......

• 1 month later...

I read in the Times today that there is going to be a change to the Sudent loan status, my son is not currently ay uni but is planing to go next year on a part time basis. According to what I read today, loans from your LEA ( LOcal Education Authority) will be available for Part Time Students. I

IS this just a proposal or is it going to be law ?