• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capone/cabot v OH (disputed Acc)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had a look at your 'agreement' on page one - it refers to the T&Cs and you agreeing to be bound by them, blah,blah; which would suggest to me that any prescribed terms would be in a separate document - which is not allowed:D

Secondly, it says please see overleaf how your info will be used; this would seem to be a reference to the data act. Nowhere does it mention please see overleaf for your T&Cs or prescribed terms....

Best of luck:)

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I quote from the signature page –

Important: please read “use of information” overleaf (Section 23 of the agreement)

Can you see a section 23 on the terms and conditions page which are apparently overleaf – I can’t because they only go up to 3.

That’s enough to dispute if the two documents are linked – the only way anyone (including a judge) can be sure is to look at the original. If they aint got it then they aint got an enforceable agreement.

BTW did they send you everything in order to satisfy the s78 request – statement of account – cancellation document – full terms and conditions including the alleged section 23 – if they haven’t then they are in default of your request and not entitled to enforce the agreement. Section 78 is very clear on what documents the creditor is supposed to supply regarding such a request – don’t settle for noncompliance when they wouldn’t if they were in your shoes.

Keep going BC and well done for how you handled Power2intimidate. I had one of those Muppets turn up a couple of months ago. The idiot asked me if I wanted to speak to blahdeblah on the phone about an outstanding balance on a credit card. How we laughed when he was introduced to my rather large Akita who was due for a run around my front garden. Needless to say I didn’t feel like talking and he didn’t feel like hanging around – shame really, the dog was hungry as well.

Hi Beachy and all.

Sorry guys - what I'm saying is that the next step IN ANY EVENT is to reclaim the charges on the a/c to reduce the balance.

Steven made comments about how the agreement could be enforceable and I'm not saying it is, or isn't. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I totally agree – the issue of enforceability will only be resolved via the court. The agreement you have is improperly executed - at the very least - because it isn’t in the correct format according to the 1983 regulations. So the agreement breaches s61 (1)(a) of the CCA 1974 and only a court can enforce it.

Whether they will or not is another matter and it doesn’t stop you claiming back charges – so that’s something positive you can be doing in the meantime - although if it does go to court then your counter claim would include these anyway.

The most important thing is not to let it worry you so much that it makes you ill.

And remember – they haven’t complied with your request yet so they are on a sticky wicket to start with.

So move on from the CCA to the charges? No problem. I had just previously thought that the CCA was enough and to only go after the charges if and when they produce an enforceable agreement.

I already have my SAR, I'll get on it this weekend.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Exactly my line of thinking, charges would make a good counter claim together with harrassment. Strange email from them - although the account has been terminated had email stating monthly statement on line, went to log in only to get a message that they had to new password and to ring them for password -another ploy to get me on the phone ?

Hi Beachcomber!

Just to offer moral support as i am new to this game as well!i am in same boat as you that capital one can not come up with an enforceanle CCA!In my case they keep insisiting they have sent me a signed one! LOl but they have not sent me anything signed!Just a letter with current terms and conditions and they have not even sent me the signed application form which they try to fob of as a CCA on other people who have requested a cca from them!Very odd they keep saying i have recived signed documents from them when they havent!:eek:i took citazens b advice and asked them to resend signed document as i told them they were mistaken in thinking they had!i am waiting with great interest to see what they come up with! i saw on your thread that apparently you can claim charges back when an account is in dispute and they have not provived an enforceable cca as i though you couldent do that as on some threads i saw that you canot do this and put account in dispute at same time! So now i am abit confused!I hope all goes well in your battle against crapital one!:D

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

When you send in your prelim letter asking for your charges to be refunded, you are disputing the balance owed- therefore the account goes into dispute.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Sunflower, if you make a request under s77-79 of the CCA the creditor is obliged to reply – if they don’t comply fully then they are in default of your request and are not entitled to enforce the agreement. The agreement at this stage is still valid (regardless of the copy they send you) and the question of enforceability is irrelevant – so you can claim back any unlawful penalty charges.

If the creditor (or his agent) tries to pursue the debt in court (most likely) you can then ask for a ruling as to whether the agreement is enforceable. If the agreement is not enforceable then the debtor will be unable to enforce the debt – not only that – they lose all rights that they would have had if the agreement was enforceable.

Just what you can and cannot claim back in the event of an unenforceable agreement is the subject of much debate. Some people (including myself) believe that there is an argument to claim back all payments made into the account. Others do not because they believe that this would be unjust enrichment.

I don’t agree because if the right of the creditor to demand payment has been rescinded by an act of parliament (s127 (3) for instance) then there can be no claiming that the recovery of these payments are unjust because the creditor was never entitled to them in the first place. To claim unjust enrichment regarding reimbursement would be to claim that an act of parliament itself is unjust and that wouldn’t be upheld.

In the case of Wilson vs FCT She (Wilson) kept her car (that she pawned for £5k) and was reimbursed with the £6900.00 she had handed over in payment to get the car back. The point on unjust enrichment is clearly argued in that case. It seems harsh on the creditor but that is the penalty they face for improper execution of a credit agreement.

The government (probably on the advice of the banks) has now amended the act so that s127 3-5 (which precludes the court from enforcing an agreement) no longer applies but only on agreements made after April 2007.

Thats how I look at it anyway.

• Haha 1

Another thing to consider when challenging the balance; interest charged on default sums is supposed to be simple not compound;

Taken from the CCA amendments 2006

"In addition, interest on default sums will also be restricted to simple interest.

Failure to comply with the above requirements will impact on an agreement’s enforceability"

And I only scraped a pass in Maths o' level, lol:D

Basically I think it runs like this (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you have a debt of say, £100, a default charge of £12 and they add £100 to £12 and add interest to both sums, and then continue adding interest that is compound interest, ie you are paying interest on the interest.

The debt should be set out showing two different interest applications

original debt and the rate of (compound) interest

default sums and the rate of (simple) interest

Hope that makes sense:)

Received a Notice of Immediate Action from debitarse for failing to contact c1 to arrange a payment plan, I've been trying to do this for six months now.

Every letter is sent recorded delivery and is ignored by c1 & debitarse including the 'Civil Procedures Protocal' (post #86) every one ignored without any form of acknowledgement from them.

Although I have continued to pay by standing order what I can afford, I have no idea where this money is going as the balance never changes.

Don't know what to do, ignore their threatogram, resend Martin's letter or what?

One thing I won't do is telephone them as stated in their letter.

Hi BC,

In the absence of any other advice, I'd simply ignore their threatening letter.

If you can be bothered, drop Debitas a letter saying:-

The a/c is in dispute as per copy letter to Cap1 enclosed.

If you write to me again in this matter, a report will be sent to the FOS for investigation, and to Trading Standards.

Until I get a proper reply from Cap1, the a/c will remain in dispute and any contact from you will be in breach of the OFT Guidelines on Debt Collection.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks Slick, Was starting to think I had been desserted after all the various comments & advice down to zero yesterday.

I've really had a guts full of this shower, they have ignored everything that I have sent, thankfully it always by recorded. I have maintained payments as per NDL budget sheet so I can't see how they can accuse me of not making payments/contacting C1, if their unhappy with what I'm paying they should say so & return the payments if it's not enough.

Anyway I intend replying to their latest letter and copying it to OFT, TS and my MP (he was very helpful with a work problem I had early this year).

Hi Beachy,

No, you hadn't been deserted but sometimes peeps just ain't about or are busy doing other stuff.

Just remember, when you say "they accuse me of this and that " they are really only sending out template letters generated by their system and little of it is relevant to you as an individual.

Send the letter to Debitas as above.

If you're going to send any complaint, make it to the FOS as they charge DCA's, etc to investigate.

Also to TS and your MP if you want and forget the OFT.

Hi Beachy,

I hope you maybe feel better for telling them what you think !!

;)

It always makes me feel better when I vent! Especially if I've got my proper letter writing head on and can make it hugely sarcastic but also polite at the same time so they can't complain:D

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Well in spite of sending a letter to P2C they did send a caller today to speak to me about my account, I refused to discuss it with him, as my neighbours were getting in their car he kept asking if Iam bankrupt or in an iva and if he phoned Capital one would I speak to them, shut the door on him. grabbed my camera and got a photo off his car before getting a copy of letter sent to P2C warning them about door callers then went out opened his car door and told him to read it very carefully.

Hi Beachcomber Emma and Atwozee! EEEEEEEEEEEEEk i have today received a similarnotice as Beachcomber! saying they are sending one of their agents to call on me this week or next week!:eek:!I thought those threats were normally idle threats! I am so glad i saw this post on your thread and i am forwarned!I will be telling my husband to keep our door bolted and locked at all times as i am normally at work most of the time!Luckily my OH does not answer door,That post i just noticed on your thread a bit of a shock to me Beachcomber,

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Sunflower, if you make a request under s77-79 of the CCA the creditor is obliged to reply – if they don’t comply fully then they are in default of your request and are not entitled to enforce the agreement. The agreement at this stage is still valid (regardless of the copy they send you) and the question of enforceability is irrelevant – so you can claim back any unlawful penalty charges.

If the creditor (or his agent) tries to pursue the debt in court (most likely) you can then ask for a ruling as to whether the agreement is enforceable. If the agreement is not enforceable then the debtor will be unable to enforce the debt – not only that – they lose all rights that they would have had if the agreement was enforceable.

Just what you can and cannot claim back in the event of an unenforceable agreement is the subject of much debate. Some people (including myself) believe that there is an argument to claim back all payments made into the account. Others do not because they believe that this would be unjust enrichment.

I don’t agree because if the right of the creditor to demand payment has been rescinded by an act of parliament (s127 (3) for instance) then there can be no claiming that the recovery of these payments are unjust because the creditor was never entitled to them in the first place. To claim unjust enrichment regarding reimbursement would be to claim that an act of parliament itself is unjust and that wouldn’t be upheld.

In the case of Wilson vs FCT She (Wilson) kept her car (that she pawned for £5k) and was reimbursed with the £6900.00 she had handed over in payment to get the car back. The point on unjust enrichment is clearly argued in that case. It seems harsh on the creditor but that is the penalty they face for improper execution of a credit agreement.

The government (probably on the advice of the banks) has now amended the act so that s127 3-5 (which precludes the court from enforcing an agreement) no longer applies but only on agreements made after April 2007.

Thats how I look at it anyway.

Thanks Arwozee that was very helpful information and cleared up my confusion!

Sorry I haven't been around BC (you know the health issue reason).

I found that they didn't respond to anything I wrote to them OR anything I said on the phone. I would be interested to know what they are doing with your payments if the amount id not changing though. I know you have already SAR-ed them. Could you ask them for a statement of account?

Someone should know?

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08