Free cavity and loft insulation

Guest littlesally
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest littlesally

Found this ............ Cheap Gas and Electricity, Central Heating, Boilers - British Gas Home Page .

At the top of the page there is a search box, type in 'essentials'

If you are on Benefits - there is a list of them in this link - and with British Gas they may give you FREE cavity and loft installation.

If you are not with them, you can change, get the free insulation then change back. There is no set time you have to be with them.

This is because they are trying to make their statistics for going green look good, rather than bulk up their customers (although they probably hope you'll stay with them as well)

Ring 0845 605 2535 and quote HTHH

Not done this myself so don't know anything else about it, but thought someone might be able to benefit from it

Sally xx

The free cavity & loft insulation is a government backed scheme where every householder is entitled to a grant.

Those over 70 and those claiming certain benefits get a 100% grant and even those who work get around a 60% grant or so.

You don't have to be with British Gas either. The government has to meet CO2 targets by 2010 so they have legislated that energy suppliers must provide these insulations out of their vast profits.

So it is actually the government who wants to look green and by doing this it doesn't cost them a bean.

Guest littlesally

When I phoned them to ask they did stress several times that you have to be a customer of British Gas at the time of requesting the work and having it done.

Maybe other gas companies are also doing the same thing under the government.

Who cares, as long as it's free?!

Sally xx

• 2 weeks later...

Eon are doing the same and you dont even have to be a customer of theirs. If you are NOT on benefits or over 70 etc they will subsidise the cost. The max you would probably pay is about £220 for cavity and the same for the loft, anything over and above, Eon will foot the bill. Eons is not government funded, £340,000,000 is from the companies profit.

Eon are doing the same and you dont even have to be a customer of theirs. If you are NOT on benefits or over 70 etc they will subsidise the cost. The max you would probably pay is about £220 for cavity and the same for the loft, anything over and above, Eon will foot the bill. Eons is not government funded, £340,000,000 is from the companies profit.

Which is basically what I previously posted!

Very little is government funded-it is a directive to the suppliers from the government to do this.

And I think you have got EON's figures wrong btw!

What figures are wrong now?

If anything is incorrect then please enlighten me so I can go back to those that carried out our training today to advise them they are wrong and that you are right as you are clearly more in the know than Eon employees's!

I was told I qualified for loft insulation but when the engineer came round to inspect he told me as my income was in excess of £15000 (approx) I couldn't have it done. Any advice gratefully received. Oh, mine is an 1920s ex-council house and I have been told cavity insulation would not be an idea for my property as the build specifications of that time make it a better build. Is this true?

All the emphasis on energy efficiency has its place and is obviously a good thing. However, it isn't going to help many people that are in most need with help with the cost of energy bills - namely those renting their home (eg: council tenants) many of whom have expensive card or keymeters! Landlords aren;t qualified to qualify for these grants (well not most of them anyway)

Oh is that why.

I've got a battle on my hands - well maybe a little skirmish. I was told by one of their assessors that I don't qualify because I earn more than £15,000ish taking me over the limit for child tax credit. BUT I'm claiming because I receive council tax benefit and I have a child under 16. It says so in the link for warmfront above and in the leaflet the assessor put through my door as I had a slight disagreement with him over the 'phone. Will keep you all posted after I've spoken to warmfront tomorrow. How many other people will be put off due to false information...............

Mind you it does say in their blurb you can claim if in receipt of jsa and over 60. No one over 60 should be claiming jsa - you qualify for pension credit which is double the jsa amount and makes the unemployment figures look better.

• 1 year later...

You can get cavity and loft insulation for free if the following applies;

- you are over 70

- you are on qualifying benefits such as child tax credit, job seekers allowance etc

However if you loft is existing 100mm of insulation and a lay of 170mm is required you would be charged but EDF energy provide grants for a 170mm lay and you would get it done for free.All other schemes such as EON and Scottish Power would do not fund the full amount for a 170mm lay.

Cavity wall insulation is free. All insulation companies would insulate the cavity with a minimum of 50mm cavity as you are guaranteed or the work for 25 years under CIGA.

There are metereages to consider under the grant as they only cover up to a certain amount before you have to pay. For example a 4 bed detached house would cover upto 170sqm anything over that you would then be charged per square meter.(on EDF)

Also with landlord permission you can claim funding for the property to be insulated. As long as the property is occupied with the occupier on benefits or over 70 you should be eligible.